paulfort

Pinnacle or Malaysia Hotel?

I am thinking about a change of hotel on my next visit to Bangkok, I have often used the Rose which is fine but the rooms are a bit small and basic, I also like Tarntawan but expensive for what it is.

I am thinking about the Pinnacle or Malaysia hotels, the Malaysia looks to have some nicer rooms in a newer block, does anyone have any recent experience of them and is there any issue if I book a double brining the odd friend back on an evening?

Guest LoveThailand

There are never any issues with bringing guest to your room at Malaysia - moreover, if you do, they check the guest's ID and call you from the reception upon his departure to check if everything is ok. The new wing better rooms need to be booked well in advance - on 2 occasions I could not get any of them 1 month in advance.

The cheapest rooms in the main building are spartan - one level up in price will give you more comfort - including a kettle, tea/coffe sets, robes, water.

Malaysia rooms do not include breakfast and wi-fi is for a fee - the best deal on wi-fi is weekly rate - 300 baht if I remember correctly.

The staff are very nice and helpful.

No experience with Pinnacle - at comparable rates have been able to find better options, e.g. FuramaXlusive Satghorn.

I stayed at the Malaysia just two weeks ago.  LoveThailand's post is spot on.  A standard room is 850 baht.  For me, the Malaysia is my hotel of choice.  It is rather spartan and kind of dumpy, but that's fine with me.  I'm the type who couldn't care less about luxuries.  I'm only in the room to sleep and . . . well, you guess.  All I care about is whether the room has air conditioning, a decent bathroom, and a TV.  The Malaysia has all those, plus their restaurant-bar is open 24 hours.  That is not the case at the Pinnacle unless they've changed since the last time I stayed there.  The Malaysia is more laid back and friendly, kind of a family atmosphere, whereas the Pinnacle is more "all business."

The rooms in the Pinnacle have safes.  The rooms in the Malaysia do not, although they have individual lobby safes behind the front desk - no charge for their use and you have 24 hour access.

The Pinnacle is much more luxurious than the Malaysia.  If you decide to stay at the Pinnacle, instead of booking through the hotel or a hotel booking company, book through Jimmy.  Jimmy is Thai, but his English is fluent and his office is in the Pinnacle.  He will get you your room at a substantially discounted price.  When you arrive at the hotel, you simply tell the desk clerk you registered through Jimmy.  You'll pay Jimmy, not the hotel itself, although the front desk may require a room key deposit.  In my experience, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Jimmy's telephone number is 01 859 6585

Email:  jimmyfirst@hotmail.com

A few tips: 

1.  I advise calling Jimmy, even if it has to be an international call. He has a reputation for either taking forever to respond to Email and sometimes not responding at all.  Call him between 10:00am and 3:00pm Thailand time.

2.  You will know exactly how much to pay Jimmy before going to the hotel and you will know his room number.  Instead of entering his office and paying him directly, put the exact amount of cash in an envelope (there will be one in the room desk), write your name and room number on the envelope, and slide it under his door - even if he is open.  He'll get it.  Why?  Because Jimmy will talk your ear off and keep you waiting forever while he's busy taking telephone calls.  If you want to put the money directly in Jimmy's hands, be prepared for it to take at least an hour or so before you can get out of there.

3.  If you intend to bring "guests" to your room at the Pinnacle, book a room for two.  It doesn't cost much more, but there will be no hassle about bringing anyone to your room.  If the "guest" spends the night with you, booking a room for two will give you a breakfast voucher for him too.

There is another option.  Directly across the street from the Malaysia Hotel is a fairly new hotel - The Ibis.  They forbid any smoking on their premesis at all - even outdoors.  Smokers have to go off their property to light up.

I don't have an Email address for the Ibis.

Telephone number:  02 610 5188

Fax:  02 610 5189

I've never stayed there, so I don't know their prices or whether they're gay friendly.  Christianpfc, do you know?

The Ibis is a French multi - national chain. So they will have to be non - discriminatory and therefore gay friendly. I've not used their BKK hotel, but regularly use them in Europe and sometimes take company back. I've not seen room safes in their European hotels.

Paulfort wants to leave The Rose because the rooms are small and basic. Wouldn't most of the examples in the last two posts be even more basic? (But cheaper)

The Baan Silom seemed quite nice for 1500 ish, with a spacious room. I usually stay at the Om Yim & recommend this as a budget option, but it's getting to the point where some maintenance is required.

Guest abang1961

This is just my Asian belief...

I really don't think much about the Pinnacle as it looks unclean....

You get the drift?

I would rather go for the cheaper, busier Hotel Malaysia...

The massage place at HM is really good.. no hanky panty. ..

I really not mind the obasan/older female masseur...

Why not widen your choice? There are many other places to stay: S1 hostel, Thung Mahamek Privacy Hotel, Penguin guesthouse, The Blooms, The Boss Residence, and finally The Moon House has rooms for 450 Baht.

I stayed in Ibis twice five years ago (about 1200 Bath per night), no problems bringing boys back. After that, I stayed in Penguin several times, rooms about 800 Baht per night.

I was in Malaysia for 3 nights just before Christmas and absolutely love it for reasons described by all above. Wouldn't call their room spartan, I'd say  basic with quite a few trimmings - two beds -big   and smaller, clean , spacious and airy, there's refrigerator and TV , desk , closed, nothing spartan here, rather , along with Om Yim  best value for a money. All that 875 / night at Christmas time !

No problems with visitors, desk will call you when guest leaves. No longer moneyboys in the coffee shop in 3 days and nights did not see any unless already with farang.

No safe in the room, only on reception which I prefer despite an inconvenience as once I waked up at night at Cafe Royale and discovered room safe opened to my horror. Nothing missing , I simply forgot to close but still remember doubtful thrill.

You are charged 500 baht deposit for safe at Malaysia, is placed in special pocket on top of the box and returned to you at departure, book early as this is very popular hotel.

No longer moneyboys in the coffee shop in 3 days and nights did not see any unless already with farang.

Also no money boys in the parking lot and not even any money boys hanging around on the soi just outside the hotel - at least not while I was there.  Actually, I consider that a negative.  I liked having the money boys around.

Also no money boys in the parking lot and not even any money boys hanging around on the soi just outside the hotel - at least not while I was there.  Actually, I consider that a negative.  I liked having the money boys around.

There's usually one or 2 on duty in the internet cafe in soi Sri Bumphen checking Gay Romeo.

I agree , it was better with merry boys around but it is what it is and we need to suffer in silence.  

i liked the pinacle as it has carpet in rooms, also the breakfast was buffet all you can eat, but not stayed in a while so you many want to check, what about ibiz hotel opposite malaysia you may wish to concider

I like the Pinnacle too. The short walk to the MRT is so convenient or getting a taxi right on Rama 4. You can have gridlock during the morning and commute hours (dinner hour) on Soi Ngam Duplee. I no longer deal with the hassle of using Jimmy as saving a 100 baht isn't worth it, just use Agoda. Not having an in room safe is a deal breaker for me, years ago I stopped staying at the Tarntawan primarily for that reason (I am told they have safes now).

i liked the pinacle as it has carpet in rooms

For me, that would be a negative. Carpet in hotel room is difficult to clean, and imagine what amount of dirt collects in the carpet after years or even decades of use. I prefer rooms with tiles.

The Malaysia charges for WiFi and has 10% service charge on their menu, both a no-no for me (moot point as I have a room).

For me, that would be a negative. Carpet in hotel room is difficult to clean, and imagine what amount of dirt collects in the carpet after years or even decades of use. I prefer rooms with tiles.

The Malaysia charges for WiFi and has 10% service charge on their menu, both a no-no for me (moot point as I have a room).

As for carpet I agree 100%, it's difficult to maintain it clean at home and in public space even much worse regardless of how often is vacuumed. 

As for Malaysia / or other hotels charges for that matter / we should not be doctrinaires but look at broad picture i.e. total price paid.  I still believe it's better to get a room for 1000 and pay service charges and say 100 baht /day for Wi Fi that get  both of them for free and pay 1500 for a similar experience.   

Better hotels use carpeting for comfort, noise, etc. My last visit the Pinnacle was busy shampooing the carpets for health and cleanliness. Anyone living in a condo or patronizing a hotel with tile or granite floors knows how noisy they can be be. And yes carpeting must be shampooed regularly just like tile floors must be mopped regularly.

I stayed at the Malaysia about three years ago for a couple of nights. It was recommended to me as a budget gay friendly place and so it proved. I had a boy overnight once. However I havent stayed there since discovering the Tarntawan, which in my opinion is well worth the extra baht (800 about per night ?). 800 baht can vanish in the blink of an eye in bars and gogo's !.

I stayed at the Malaysia about three years ago for a couple of nights. It was recommended to me as a budget gay friendly place and so it proved. I had a boy overnight once. However I havent stayed there since discovering the Tarntawan, which in my opinion is well worth the extra baht (800 about per night ?). 800 baht can vanish in the blink of an eye in bars and gogo's !.

I think you will find the Tarntawan is about three times the cost of the Malaysia although it includes the excellent breakfast and free wifi.

I rather spent 800 in bar or go-go than on extra conveniences I don't use anyways. I Malaysia there's some view behind the window. In  Tarntawan I had dirty wall. I like Tarntawan still because location and treat myself with 2 nights of stay on every trip but value for money for Malaysia is better. Free WiFi and breakfast in not worth of extra 1150 / this was difference in price per day I paid in Dec between two / , but this is just me may be

Hi Guys

Thank you for all your great advise on this question....

In addition to fair value for money and no issue with joiners, guess I also fancied a change, I emailed the Pinnacle ref joiners and their response was to the effect if I booked a double and my guest arrived and checked in/registered at the same time with me then fine, otherwise THB 550 - It is not so much the cost (all be it does influence me!) more the agro and embarrassment so I declined to make a reservation. I am going to try the Malaysia and have booked a Premium room with balcony in their new wing at THB 1,700 - similar to what I can pay at the Rose, for I expect a much larger room and with balcony and a fair bit less than Tarntawan, Place.

I will let you know how I get on!

Guest Hutchison

The Pinnacle Hotel has been undergoing a refurb. Most rooms now have tiles on the floor. I also prefer being closer to Rama 4 and the MRT.

The Pinnacle Hotel has been undergoing a refurb. Most rooms now have tiles on the floor. I also prefer being closer to Rama 4 and the MRT.

Tiles on the floor are great idea in the BKK climate as walking barefoot on them makes nice cool feeling