Guest Fatfifty

Drink prices at entertainment bars

Guest Fatfifty

I have always wondered why the out of line drink prices at bars that put on shows. I mean I fully understand the show costs a bit to put on, but wouldn't a cover charge be more advantageous for the bar?

My reasoning is, I'll pay 200 baht cover, if I can get drinks at 100 baht or less. Water shouldn't cost more than 60 baht, and that's too much. But at least I would be buying more drinks.

End result to me would be more customers because they like the cheaper drink prices. The bar would sell a lot more drinks, still profiting, and making the bar owner happier.

While your idea has some merit we still would be complaining about drink prices on top of already inflated cover charge.

As long as we are complaining  and still paying those prices I doubt owners will change their policy and if they change prices it will be still suicidal move upward.

New arrivals on short term visit will pay whatever is asked and still open mouth in awe  seeing what's on offer in the stage.

Old hands will find a way of avoiding charges by getting boy's phone number or waiting until bar is closed to spot boy marching on the street and grab him from there. And this is suicidal too - if we don't support bars they will go out of business  and what we will do? Go to the next bar perhaps.

I like what Tawan is doing on busy nights, selling entry  tickets at the door and inside you get free drink in exchange. This way patrons know  what they are paying for without annoying illusion that greedy owner is charging 200 baht for water costing 15 baht at 7/11.

Not trying to defend pricing practices but best thing about bars in LOS is that we really have a choice, add 100 baht to Dreamboys drink price , cross the soi and you have 1 hr massage  at Bonnys is one of many suggested solutions. Sure one owes boy a tip of,  say 1000 baht but he will be massaging you naked, not many places in the world will offer it for you for 30 USD.

And as much as we complain about the prices, Dreamboys has by far the highest prices and is packed just about every night. I admit I hadn't been there the last couple of years, but gave it a try earlier this week. The choice of boys is outstanding. I ended up biting the financial bullet and went twice this week. You have to pay for quality. But they do overdue it a bit.

I agree  with your Dreamboys BKK assessmnet,  highest prices but by far best boy selection at least for types I like.

As a bonus neither fuck show nor big cock show participants are soliciting tips among an audience so highest drink and off prices are somehow mitigated for me by savings on those tips as I usually give 100 to both.

But it needs to be said that slowly they are moving  into non competitive category as far as I'm concerned and I noticed that I was kind of reluctant to climb their stairs seeing what they charge on the last trip in Dec. But this is market economy -if you are outpriced take you business elsewhere or bite a bullet  I guess.

I suppose what drink price/ticket system is linked with licenses. May be for to sell tickets they have to have some more licenses and regulations - like fire-safety and other things which they can avoid just while they are bars.

Also it can be connected with taxation and or with money laundering - may be tickets must be numbered and can be controlled but nobody can count q-ty of drinks...

greedy owner is charging 200 baht for water costing 15 baht at 7/11.

a can or small bottle of Coke, a small bottle of soda or a small bottle of water all cost about the same at 7-11 but people seem to get their knickers into a much greater knot about what bars charge for water rather than for Coke/soda - I've never understood why

bkkguy

End result to me would be more customers because they like the cheaper drink prices. The bar would sell a lot more drinks, still profiting, and making the bar owner happier.

I don't go to the bars to drink, I go to look at the boys (and hopefully off one). No matter what the drink price, no matter how long I stay, I buy one drink.

In Pattaya, bars with show have similar drink prices as bars with show.

Separating cover price and drink price just obfuscates matters.

a can or small bottle of Coke, a small bottle of soda or a small bottle of water all cost about the same at 7-11 but people seem to get their knickers into a much greater knot about what bars charge for water rather than for Coke/soda - I've never understood why

bkkguy

count me out, water price is not and issue for me,  I don't drink water at all, only animals do.

Reason for water price being more upsetting than other commodities may be that most of us have ingrained somewhere deep that water is and should be free

The price of admission at go-go club is the price of the obligatory drink no matter the beverage; there is no free show for freeloaders.

If one wants a drink at a 7-11 they can sit outside and enjoy the street scene. I have even seen farang sit and chat with friends at a beer bar but too cheap to even order a courtesy bottle of water.