The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Kahneman is a noble prize winner in economics for his prospect theory. He follows his teaching in his book by not using too much jargons and delivering his points as easy as possible. One of his points in the book is that when you can explain things in simple words than use them instead of fancy words because it's more effective that way. Since my friend told me today that he find Billy Graham's sermon easy to follow because it's very simple using basic words, this book came to my mind. The book shows how irrational we are and if you follow some examples yourself in the book you will agree with the author. This simple observation has changed how we approach economics is m…
-
http://www.afterelton.com/people/2011/02/top-50-gay-musicians?page=1%2C0 I'm a big music lover and I was very interested in seeing this list. I knew most on the list but I didn't know everyone on this list was gay. I've seen about 10 of these in person either in a concert or at some other private venue. I saw Stephen Gately on the West End in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. I actually met Will Young right after he won Pop Idol in London. One of my friends in the music business (concert venues) got me VIP passes for the Elton John / Billy Joel concert in Anaheim and I met Elton John back stage. I would still like to see Adam Lambert live. I think he would be …
-
Well Bill Clinton is right that we need smart government. He makes some good arguments but he is a bit out of touch. A famous Nobel prize winner believed that most great discoveries were made in one's 20s so he worked very hard in his 20s. Yes he did achieve a lot by commiting his youthful energy to his work early in his life. As I read through what Clinton wrote I feel that he is narrow minded and biased. Most of all he is trappend in the 90s when he was president. I wonder what makes us become like this as we get older. As our bodies get inflexible as we age and it seems our mind does the same. Our government is like us too. It hate changes and new ideas as it gets ol…
-
But this animated .gif changes that!
-
Jon Stewart had brought this up weeks ago, but seeing this brought it back: And not just for me, it would appear. My opinion is have one now and have another if we ever pull out of Afghanistan. But I don't live in NY, so I'm interested in how people with ties to the city feel. Which does make me wonder about one in LA, but we're really not much of a parade city... I can't imagine an LA-wide parade, just community based ones like Pride or Rose.
-
I'm pretty far behind on my LGBT movie watching. Still haven't watched Brokeback Mountain! But I found this list of 2011 movies and thought some here may be interested...
-
Matthew Lawrence Taylor Lautner
-
- 0 replies
- 578 views
- 1 follower
-
-
I watched this film last night and loved it. I am probably way behind the power curve on films, but if you haven't seen it yet it's worth watching. Available on NF and I'm sure other streaming venues. Mao's Last Dancer 2010PG117 minutes A delegation from Madame Mao's Beijing Dance Academy selects 11-year-old peasant villager Li Cunxin to study ballet in far-off Beijing, where he trains for seven grueling years to become one of China's greatest dancers. His efforts win him the opportunity to dance in America, opening his eyes to a new love and the possibility of a dramatic defection from China in this remarkable true story based on Cunxin's autobiography. Cast:Bruce G…
-
Admins and Moderators reserve the right to combine posts, threads, etc if they see fit. If many posts on the same topic are written by the same person and it looks like a post only to increase post count, we will do so. We will do this at our discretion. We also reserve the right to ban or limit new posters if we believe they are a moniker of someone who has been banned in the past. We try our best to have an open forum and we make decisions that we feel are in the best interest of the community. Our intentions are always to preserve the fun spirit of the message board. When we do this, it is not to offend anyone or get anyone upset and it is never personal. We …
-
- 4 replies
- 769 views
- 1 follower
-
-
This video is very heartwarming and it is from a Republican on the state floor in Washington (state of) during their debate on gay marriage. And obviously when this issue hits home it changes your perspective. If you watch any YouTube videos today this is the one to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbmbdWK6338
-
-
I couldn't just pass by a shoe store today and bought a pair. I should stop buying shoes. I saved up to hire someone this month and used that fund to buy this pair. I need help!
-
Just more of the usual conservative christian hypocrisy...
-
"Top Five Regrets of the Dying" is the title of a rather sad and depressing article in The Guardian. An Australian nurse who recorded the most common regrets of those near the end of their lives has put her observations into a book (with the same name as the article title). She writes of the extraordinary clarity of vision which people seem to gain at the end of their lives. “Common themes surfaced again and again”, she says. She hopes that the rest of us can gain something from their wisdom. The top regrets were – http://www.guardian....ts-of-the-dying Yet, go further back in time. I think that people of my parent’s generation, for example, almost ce…
-
- 11 replies
- 1.7k views
-
-
I'm tempted to see the play, but when I looked up tickets they were pretty expensive. Either way, Scott provided a good retrospective... I believe that ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth. It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America. In the real world, there are only two ways to deal with corporate misbehavior: One is through government regulation and the other is by taking them to court. What has happened over 20 years of free-market proselytizing is that we have dangerously weakened both forms of restraint, first through the craze…
-
- 3 replies
- 756 views
-
-
I'm so horny for the guys on this website to deliver their cum inside of me! I just want to figure out where their contact info is. I'm ready right now and few are responding.
-
- 6 replies
- 935 views
-
-
This song is overplayed, but the accompanying video has some nice eye candy.. http://www.gayboystube.com/video/162165/sexy-and-i-know-it
-
Since my thread for February 10th has been doctored to combine a number of posts into one, this is the last post that this site will see from Lucky. It's been a hoot, thanks to all, and good bye.
-
800 people joined in for a naked pillow fight. There are nine pictures of the event, so enjoy them all! Naked in the Feathers
-
- 1 reply
- 734 views
-
-
-
I am reading Edmund White's latest novel, Jack Holmes and His Friend. Before the friend gets greatly involved, Jack dates Peter, a ballet dancer. When Peter returns from 2 weeks of touring, he gets a massage by Jack, who uses patchouli-scented oil. So he massages Peter, and then this passage struck my attention: Then Jack's big, octave-and-a-half hands fanned out over Peter's high buttocks and molded them into Silly Putty shapes. But from time to time Jack was forced to stop and sit back and look at what God and the individual will and institutional discipline had wrought. He remembered that a philosophy professor in Ann Arbor had said that vision was the most spiritual …
-
- 0 replies
- 656 views
-
-
Went to a screening recently, nothing makes you feel quite as under educated as going unawares into a movie set in modern times but *entirely* in Shakespearean dialect. Still, Coriolanus grew on me, and the portrayals of the public and the politicians who cynically pander to their worst instincts has quite a few parallels. And as always when exposed to Shakespeare, I eventually enjoy it and get the feeling that a little more effort and familiarity will bring it much further into grasp... then I usually set it down for 10+ years... All in all a pretty good movie for a work I don't even remember having heard of before. (Yep, American education!)
-
It shows a very quick peek at the two tech giants relationship. -------------------------------- In a recent interview with The Telegraph, Bill Gates sat down to talk, among other things, about his relationship with Steve Jobs. Gates recalled his often up and down relationship with Jobs changing somewhat after the launch of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 2007: “Steve and I did an event together, and he couldn’t have been nicer…I got a fair bit of time with him in his last year.” When Gates ultimately learned of Steve’s medical condition, he wrote him a letter: “I told Steve about how he should feel great about what he had done and the company he had built…
-
Gloria Estefan released a very creative music video for her new single "Hotel Nacional" starring Susan Lucci and many characters dressed as if they were in their own little "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Enjoy. this is a fun music video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7-1UshBak
-
I’ve often talked about smartphones having all sorts of bells and whistles that I do not want on a phone. But here’s something I would never have imagined. iPhones and iPads seemingly being used as musical instruments. (The piece is usually referred to as Handel’s ‘Largo’). Does this mean the end of symphony orchestras, I wonder?!