The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Tired of "Linsanity" yet? I bet ESPN wishes they had used better judgement on Friday after the Knicks lost when they posted the headline: "Chink In The Armor" The headline was up for only 50 minutes or so but they were inundated with complaints about the headline. And now groups are wanting more of an apology. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/19/espn-apologizes-for-racis_n_1287503.html?ref=impact&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009
-
- 10 replies
- 1.3k views
-
-
Just in case you don't know, the man on the left is Lance Bass, former boy band member of NSync. He is gay and now out and proud.
-
And so the world mourns the death of yet another mega star who abused her extraordinary talent with all manner of neglect and substance abuse. At the same time she was descending into a hell where ‘the voice’ became all but threadbare, not even a pale imitation of what it had once been, but a raspy, hoarse instrument. Would that she had taken a leaf out of the careers of her godmother, the great Aretha Franklin, and her cousin, the equally great Dionne Warwick, both of whom have had far longer careers. Why, I wonder, is it that so many of the younger pop divas fail to realise that their voice is probably the most fragile of all instruments, dependent on two tiny membr…
-
Has anyone seen this movie? I am tempted to go see it. Saw The Iron Lady and Meryl was amazing.
-
I don't care about streaming movies. I want the DVD delivery. I also want to be sure I have the best access to gay films. Which of the two should I choose? Netflix or Blockbuster?
-
- 6 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
If you could only watch 5 current tv shows, which 5 would they be? My choices are, in no specific order: 1) The Walking Dead 2) American Horror Story 3) Glee 4) (Based upon first episode) Smash 5) Modern Family
-
- 22 replies
- 1.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Being homosexual and indulging in any homosexual act (sometimes merely hand-holding) is still against the law in many countries. Closest to Thailand is Malaysia where homosexual acts are punishable by lashing and a sentence of up to 20 years. Even cruising is punishable with up to 2 years in prison. Yet, it’s not hard to spot a lot of gays in Malaysia, and KL alone has a number of gay establishments. Looking through a list of countries, be found guilty of being gay in these countries and the penalty is death - Afghanistan Iraq Mauritania Saudi Arabia Yemen Yet, even instant death (if that indeed is what it is) may be preferable to the punishment you could…
-
In a general look around the web, I came across this cute tongue-in-cheek advocate with ten reasons for making gay marriage illegal. 01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning. 02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall. 03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. 04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all like many of the princip…
-
The Cuban missile crisis was apparently leading to the prospect of the world's first nuclear war. Then someone had the bright idea to focus on a letter that was sent back channel, and ignore the less conciliatory remarks being made for public consumption. My recent disagreement with Oz is, of course, nowhere of that magnitude. It is a spat over a thread, not missiles in Cuba. Many have written to me and suggested that I, too, focus on the positive. Remarks like these: From Totally Oz: "Let me be clear, TY had nothing to do with Lucky's post being merged. I take full responsibility for that. In hindsight, it may have been better to tell him not to do it when I saw it th…
-
-
Nice pic above of Ethan G. Click on it and see what he really looks like. Life is like that.
-
I've wondered about this, good reporting NBC 4! http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Hijacking-the-Streets.html
-
- 4 replies
- 980 views
-
-
Good to see you signed in zipperzone. I hope this means that you are well and also, hopefully ready to return to the land of peace and friendship, MER!
-
- 6 replies
- 971 views
-
-
This video is spreading around. I thought I'd share it. Some Weho boys in this video.
-
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/02/17/Madonna_Whitney_Back_on_Top_of_Charts_Together/ For music fans anywhere and in particular gay men who follow the divas of music will find it interesting that Madonna and Whitney re-enter Billboard's Top 10 singles chart once again next week. Madonna moves up to #10 with her new single "Give Me All Your Luvin'". And Whitney Houston re-enters the top 10 at #7 with her former #1 song "I Will Always Love You". Billboard recently changed the rules that allow older songs to re-chart if they sell enough or get enough airplay to re-enter the Billboard Hot 100 in the top half of the chart. And it appears that this next week, …
-
Last July and August, Michael (GayThailand) started some threads about Bangkok's Best Burgers. http://www.gaythaila...__hl__hamburger I thought it would be interesting to post a recent event that took place at one of the world's most notorious eateries, "The Heart Attack Grill," in (where else?) Las Vegas, Nevada. I guess if you've lost all your money, you might as well kill yourself as well. This place will do it and nearly has recently, prompting this Fox News Report. Because of that-- I'm not sure of the integrity of this item, namely the exact nature of the malady that occurred there. The owner, Jon Basso, boasts it was the first-ever full scale coronary at hi…
-
- 1 reply
- 1.1k views
-
-
Lucky where are you? I hope you are doing well. Please come back, we terribly miss you!
-
- 30 replies
- 2.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I just found this video "Ten out of Ten babies say NO to circumcision" via this website http://www.circumcision.org/index.html
-
- 30 replies
- 5k views
-
-
This new Will Young music video is one of the most unique and different I've seen in years. I love it. For those US posters who don't know Will Young, he was the first winner of UK's POP IDOL before American Idol started. He is gay - out and proud and mainly a European music star. But this song and video is really amazing.
-
Good morning MER men! and how is everybody today? gcursor
-
Every chalkboard quote that Bart Simpson has ever written. I think this may be considered CLASSIC someday. . .
-
I recently had a close look at the two sizes of the Galaxy tablet and was extremely impressed. I have deliberately waited before jumping into the tablet market. As an Apple user for a couple of decades, I assumed I'd get an iPad. But the iPad 2 is considerably heavier than the Galaxy - and weight is definitely an issue for me. Is there any news of a yet lighter version coming out? Apart from weight, is there much difference between the Galaxy and the iPad? As most readers will know, I am not great with computers and like things simple! (e.g. my phone is an ancient Nokia with no bells and whistles!) Can I download my music and photos on to the Galaxy with ease? Does it…
-
In another thread, I encouraged Fountainhall to buy an ipad3. However, I have subsequently learned of this rather shocking news item today, although I suspect this particular issue may also shared among other overseas manufacturers as well. Mebbe many, if not most, have hazardly glossed over what should be the same standards of health and safety practices enforced by OSHA here in the U.S. Putting up nets? Signed pledges? Heartless Apple and Foxconn! For shame, for shame! As if signing a pledge is going to make a difference if they go ahead and kill themselves, anyway. Adding insult to injury? http://www.cnn.com/2...+Top+Stories%29 Perhaps Apple should put…
-
Simon Cowell is really a marketing genius if you think about what he has accomplished over the last 10 years around the world with the Idol and X Factor franchises (although Simon Fuller was more involved in the Idol franchising though Cowell's actions made it popular). Now Simon is proposing this in a tweet yesterday (see below). That would be a fantastic show for people who watch the top three music singing competitions. The only problem is that "The Voice" is on NBC. I doubt their executives would want this unless it aired on NBC.
-