The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
A 13-year-old boy was struck by lightning — at 13:13 hours on Friday the 13th, according to reports. The teen was watching an air show at Lowestoft, England, when he was struck and was later treated for burns to his shoulder, the U.K.'s Mirror newspaper said. He is expected to fully recover. Rex Clarke, leader of the St. John Ambulance team that treated the child, described what happened. "Suddenly there was this huge crack of lightning really close to the seafront and really loud thunder," he told the Mirror. "Seconds later we got a call someone had been hit. The boy was breathing and was conscious." "He had a minor burn to his shoulder and was taken to hospital as a…
-
- 3 replies
- 834 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Boston University medical student Philip Markoff allegedly killed an escort he hired through Craigslist and robbed a couple more. Days after he was arrested on April 20, 2009, he was placed on suicide watch. He killed himself in jail today. http://gawker.com/5613344/craigslist-killer-commits-suicide
-
- 0 replies
- 637 views
-
-
Few videos move me to tears. I read about this guy on Sky and watched the video. It really does show that can be accomplished by someone who has heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDigTcN16Y
-
- 1 reply
- 567 views
- 1 follower
-
-
I cannot find the article now, but sfgate.com had a article explaining what a San Francisco Relationship is. Can anyone find it, or know what it is??
-
Who said it couldn't get worse? The economy is tanking world wide and governments are cutting spending. Mortgage rate are as low as they have ever been, but sales aren't anything to brag about. Foreclosures and short sales are the main way houses get sold these days. Predictions for the housing market are that prices will drop another 10% as banks sit on a trove of foreclosures they are afraid to flood the market with. Unemployment? Where would we get new jobs in this economy? There are several posters who know more about economics than I do, so what do you guys think? Any hope out there? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/business/12markets.html?hp
-
- 25 replies
- 3.1k views
-
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb6z_rcWKM&feature=player_embedded
-
- 1 reply
- 780 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Judge Walker: I Doubt Prop 8 Ruling Can Be Appealed PAUL ELIAS and LISA LEFF | 08/13/10 12:03 PM | AP SAN FRANCISCO — The federal judge who overturned California's same-sex marriage ban has more bad news for the measure's sponsors: he not only is unwilling to keep gay couples from marrying beyond next Wednesday, he doubts the ban's backers have the right to challenge his ruling. Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn R. Walker on Thursday rejected a request to delay his decision striking down Proposition 8 from taking effect until high courts can take up an appeal lodged by its supporters. One of the reasons, the judge said, is he's not sure the proponents have the authori…
-
- 7 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I just love this story. It screams so much that is right about a gay relationship. Neil Patrick Harris and his partner are good role models for our community. Its nice we have such a wholesome public face. LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Neil Patrick Harris is going to be a dad. On Saturday afternoon, the "How I Met Your Mother" star confirmed via Twitter that he and partner, David Burtka, are expecting not one, but two bundles of joy. "So, get this: David and I are expecting twins this fall," Neil Tweeted. "We're super excited/nervous/thrilled. Hoping the press can respect our privacy..." Read the entire article here.
-
- 1 reply
- 633 views
-
-
But it's perfectly OK to allow those kids to wallow their entire lives in the substandard and inattentive state care that they've been placed in, NOT INCIDENTALLY, because their heterosexual parents abandoned, abused, and/or molested them. http://joemygod.blogspot.com/
-
- 2 replies
- 720 views
- 1 follower
-
-
''I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages,'' Barack Obama told Chicagoans in a letter to the Outlines newspaper dated Feb. 15, 1996. One month later, on March 19, 1996, Obama became the Democratic nominee for the 13th State Senate District in Illinois – nominated along with President Bill Clinton, running for re-election on the ballot that day. It was only two months after that, on May 7, 1996, when then-Rep. Bob Barr ® took to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives to introduce the Defense of Marriage Act. Two months later, on July 12, the House passed the bill – which defined marriage in federal law and purpor…
-
- 3 replies
- 900 views
- 1 follower
-
-
People talk about boycotting stores like Wal-mart, but I always thought Target was okay.Now it turns out that they have been supporting anti-gay causes for some time: http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/real-america-target-doesnt-support-gay-equality-because-it-never-did
-
- 24 replies
- 2.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
From CNN this morning. A son of Don Quayle is running for Congress. His main slogan, "Barrack Obama is the worst President in American history." Well, zero marks for originality, but I guess some credit for his grammar and syntax. And if that tidbit is not enough to get the talk-show hosts salivating, Levi Johnson is running for Mayor of Wasilla, his one-time-thought-to-be-Mum-in-law's post. His race to the Mayor's office will become a televised reality show. And I thought Thai politics was rock bottom!
-
Throughout the country many sugar daddies are taking their young, over 18, dates to see Scott Pilgrim v. The World. Good luck- it's one of the strangest movies I have ever seen! The bf kept laughing, so we stayed, but I didn't get much of it. I'll read the reviews later to see what I missed. http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/movies/13scott.html?ref=movies
-
- 6 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I love Ansel Adams. When I was pursuing a career in photography, he was one of my most admired photographers. The collection in DC is fantastic. I have been following the story below. It is a wild ride. SAN FRANCISCO — It was a dream come true, straight out of “Antiques Roadshow.” In 2000 Rick Norsigian, a painter in a school maintenance department, bought a box of photo negatives at a garage sale in Fresno, Calif., for $45. Last month, a decade later, he stood in a Beverly Hills art gallery to announce that a team of experts had concluded “beyond a reasonable doubt” that Ansel Adams had taken the pictures. Rick Norsigian with one of the 65 glass negatives he bought …
-
- 4 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I watched this on MSNBC tonight. I want the full story known. Pat Tillman was an amazing football player. I admired him being on the other side as a Cal Bears fan in his college games. Why the cover-up? Why? This guy is the salt of the earth, an American hero, and his family feels like Pat and the truth of his death has been suppressed. I know this is the MER site and we, hell-bound faggots, aren't supposed to discuss anything of common interest. Yet, we will. Here we are. We are your grandparents, uncles, aunts, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren,etc. And as we move to full equality, people need to know that we DO CARE about straight, courageous, self-less, Ame…
-
- 6 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I always thought coupons were silly or for cheap stuff off brands or poor people I was way wrong. I just had a nice savings experience. A few days ago I was watching the Clark Howard show and he was speaking about using coupons. I never paid much attention to coupon use ... too lazy I guess. Anyway, he went shopping with the Coupon Mom and she purchased about $110. in groceries (not off brands food I normally would buy) and after in store discounts and her coupons paid about $16.00 for it. I was like WTF I can do this. Anyway, Clark went on giving some common sense tips on finding coupons online and in our Sunday papers. Well this afternoon I purchased some casual sh…
-
- 13 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
The WSJ today has an article on new designs in shirts that change color when the temperature changes. Some actually show slogans when you sweat. Cool, huh? There is even underwear that features plastic dots that are meant to improve the wearer's posture. Scientists are are working on developing fabrics with sensors that can track changes in blood pressure, pulse rates, and other signs of stress, as well as signs that a wearer is falling down. What will they think of next? Underwear that cleans up semen spots or even skid marks? Read the whole article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704164904575421600825787966.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5
-
- 5 replies
- 969 views
-
-
-
- 4 replies
- 843 views
- 1 follower
-
-
how many attorneys can convince the current SCOTUS to back gay marriage? not many, but this one very unlikely proponent is one of them. Take a look at how well he does in Olson vs Fox news. "Former Bush administration Solicitor General Ted Olson said Sunday he expects the Supreme Court to address the issue of same-sex marriage — and that he will deliver to the justices a strong case that gays have a right to marry under the Constitution. "The other side really produced no evidence at all," said Olson, the prominent conservative lawyer who is leading the legal battle against the California ban on gay marriage. "This is an overwhelming record that supports the fact th…
-
- 8 replies
- 1.9k views
-
-
I have often seen good deal on computers at "non computer stores"such as office supply places. Well the other day I had to take my desktop in to have a virus removed(thanks Norton ) and I decided to try Staples since I am boycotting Best Buy. While there I looked at the laptops they had on display and the tech guy I had just dealt with came over to talk with me.He said he was very impressed with this lappie and the price they had was excellent. I went online and checked out the lappie and it turned out the price was far below what I could find online and I decided to buy it. The next day I found an ad for a big thec store which had the same lappie at a lower price a…
-
- 22 replies
- 2.5k views
-
-
I loved this season of So You Think you can Dance. The Final episode was a bit disappointing as I really wanted the sexy Kent to win. He is so adorable. Lauren was great and I think she deserved it as well. All 3 at the end were fantastic. The highlight of the night was Ellen's performance. BRILLIANT!
-
- 7 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Cop fired over gay porn film fights to keep certification Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 By Steve Rothaus | Miami Herald Former Hollywood cop Mike Verdugo, fired after word spread on the Internet that he was in a gay porn film, is now fighting to keep his Florida police certification. On Tuesday, Verdugo's lawyers held a news conference and rally in Wilton Manor seeking support for him. Hollywood Police Department fired him for not disclosing previous employment — the porn film — on his job application, Verdugo's lawyers said. Verdugo, who also was a former Design Star contestant on HGTV, has sued to get his job back. The suit is scheduled to be heard in No…
-
- 7 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I was surprised the only place I had heard of this incident was on a Fox News Sports Link commentary: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/gay-umpires-ordeal-shows-sad-state-of-sports-081310 Here's another link to the story I found by googling: http://www.queerty.com/calling-gay-umpire-fing-faggot-wont-get-him-to-side-with-edmonton-capitals-manager-brent-bowers-20100807/
-
What better way to start off the August Challenge then with pictures of one of the sexiest men in sports today, Cristiano Ronaldo...
-
- 8 replies
- 1.3k views
-
-
THUGGISH THURSDAYS... and now for your viewing pleasures.. and one last pic as a consolation prize for the skinny lovers....... keep going keep going keep going keep going keep going
-
- 3 replies
- 757 views
- 1 follower
-