Guest lurkerspeaks

First time visit hotel question

Does anyone know how to differ between Superior and deluxe room at the Ambiance hotel ? 

4 sq m - though your bed is 40 cm wider and there is a tasteful couch and table and chairs that consume most of that extra space that at high season prices you are paying an extra 100 Baht per night per sq m for

though to be fair you also get a slightly less crappy TV and superior (though surely that should be deluxe?) bedding, whatever that means - an unspecified number of extra threads in your bed linen? or maybe just fewer holes and stains? or a mattress that hasn't already collapsed?

the perhaps more interesting question is what is the Superior room "superior" to - it is the lowest priced room listed on the website!

bkkguy

get a slightly less crappy TV and superior (though surely that should be deluxe?) bedding, whatever that means - an unspecified number of extra threads in your bed linen? or maybe just fewer holes and stains? or a mattress that hasn't already collapsed?

bkkguy

Hahaha, your description sounds interesting bkkguy :-)  Is this what I am looking forwards to when booking the deluxe room at the Ambiance :-)

Any hotel recommendation that does not include holes, stains or collapsed mattress :-) ??

Hahaha, your description sounds interesting bkkguy :-)  Is this what I am looking forwards to when booking the deluxe room at the Ambiance :-)

Any hotel recommendation that does not include holes, stains or collapsed mattress :-) ??

Hard to give choices without knowing your preferred budget? I looked at a weekend in March for Ambience on Booking and rates ran from about 1200 baht to 1800 baht for a suite. Most reviews are ok with the exception of people who did not realize they were on a Gay Street.

Hard to give choices without knowing your preferred budget?

I can go up to $100 a night :) 

Main concern is privacy since I am shy in this area.  I do not want to be stopped or questioned by receptionist when I bring a boy back to the hotel.  Security and comfort are next :) 

I have never been questioned by a receptionist in multiple visits to Thailand.   

What many of the hotels will do is check & keep the ID card of your guest, which is probably good for your personal security.

As for being shy, well Thailand can cure you of that quite quickly.  If you bring any particularly cute company back to your hotel, he's going to get admiring looks from all the people outside the bars.

You can get comfortable accommodation for a lot less than $100 a night.

If you don't want to be in a Fishbowl then you can rent studio apartment in View Talay 6 .  5 minute ride from BT and the guard may or may not be awake to ask for boys id. (no questions).

You can find them on Airbnb, Cando Property and Dancewatchers .com  for $40-60 per night with some extra charges for maid service very day.

Far more luxurious then anything you will find in most Hotels. IMHO,even a nice Big Pool and convenience  stores and laundry on premises.

Hi Vinapu

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly - but I remember you posting before that you got a much better rate on Raya than their quoted 2600 Early bird price.

I am thinking of staying there for 2 nights over Songkran as location seems excellent!

How much did you pay for night and what site did you book it through?

Also where exactly is the hotel located - their map is not very clear! Is it on the main street of Surawong, or is it on Rama 4? 

Thanks in Advance!

If you don't want to be in a Fishbowl then you can rent studio apartment in View Talay 6

Hi Firecat,

Those condos look very good but will I have any trouble with transportation late at night such as midnight or after getting back from boytown ?

Hi Vinapu

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly - but I remember you posting before that you got a much better rate on Raya than their quoted 2600 Early bird price.

I am thinking of staying there for 2 nights over Songkran as location seems excellent!

How much did you pay for night and what site did you book it through?

Also where exactly is the hotel located - their map is not very clear! Is it on the main street of Surawong, or is it on Rama 4? 

I  booked through Agoda at  75 USD with all taxes incuded but when booking got offer for bigger room with separate living area whatever they call it , I guess 'executive' for 85 USD tax included and I went for it. All with breakfast for two.

But my friend  / xiluzer/ who posts here from time to time /who was staying there at the same time booked earlier  and paid 1500 baht only , breakfast included , he told me agoda has often very good promotions for them and it obviously pays to hunt . 

Firecat may be right,  booking.com may be even cheaper,

Advice from my friend about Agoda  is  keep checking even twice a day, he stay there many times and never paid more than 1800 if I recall.

Not only location is excellent but also is the hotel and I rarely splurge on accommodation but gladly do on both Raya and Tarntawan. 

If you  left Jupiter and are crossing  Suriwong at mouth of Jupiter soi to get to soi Twilight you are doing it right across Raya.

As for being shy, well Thailand can cure you of that quite quickly.  If you bring any particularly cute company back to your hotel, he's going to get admiring looks from all the people outside the bars.

I confirm it and it's quite pleasant feeling having boy who draws all that attention so Tom , don't be shy 

During my visit to bangkok from 7-10 march,i stay at nantra silom hotel..all i can say is this hotel is very gay-friendly hotel...one of those night i off two boy from tawan in difference time but the girl at reception do not bother at all..no ask id or extra fee..not even look at us when we enter..like we are not visible..lol..sorry for my broken english..will stay again at this hotel on this september..

The problem is many of the gogo boy didnt bring their id wherever they go because they are local..its totally waste time to ask the boy going back to the bar to take their id..the worst part is some hotel not only ask id but joiner fee around 1000bht onward...

First of all it should be automatic to ask for the Boys ID in the Bar. No ID no off. They are well aware of this and are required to have ID if the police visit. If they don't they may not be Thai and therefore you have to decide whether to take the chance.

This joiner fee question keeps cropping up even though I would guess over 90% of the Hotels in Thailand will never ask and have no right to ask if your reservation was for 2 people.

On top of that most questions about Hotel policies could be answered here or simply sending an email to the Hotel confirming no Joiner fees.

There are a few well known Hotels in BKK that require that and most have been outed here numerous times.

You can be 100% sure any posts from members here about a Hotel would definitely mean there were no joiner fees or the member would have immediately left.

You can be 100% sure any posts from members here about a Hotel would definitely mean there were no joiner fees or the member would have immediately left.........

..........with loud scream here on the forum.

Perhaps whole issue is relaxing, Siam Heritage was famous for no joiners policy and yet somebody reported on forums recently that did not have any problems there.

Is that a good thing? I prefer an ID check and a phone call when my guest leaves.  I would recommend this strongly to anyone new to Thailand.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your advice for newcomers , I personally don't like whole ID check business and find it discriminatory.

On few occasions I hosted farang friends in the room / relax, just for a chat / and nobody asked them for ID  and yet at the same hotel  they asked boys special for that.

As for phone call I have habit of walking boys down to the street after the meeting so it's no issue for me.   

No ID no off. They are well aware of this and are required to have ID if the police visit. If they don't they may not be Thai and therefore you have to decide whether to take the chance.

No ID, no off.   I agree completely.

The main reason for no off would be uncertainty about age. 

Nationality is irrelevant to the customer -as there is no increase in risk to the customer.    

Actually, when it comes to ID time, non-Thais have an advantage in my eyes.   If they come from Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia, they most likely have a passport, which is difficult to forge and will have a large clear photo.  So that's a much more reliable ID in my view.