ChristianPFC

Shoe theft at Wat Pho

Some days ago, a friend had his shoes (expensive, 4900 Baht) stolen at Wat Pho. Footage from security camera shows the thief in operation, who must have experience to choose expensive shoes. I wonder what the resale value of stolen used shoes is. Wat Pho supplied a pair of shoes so my friend could get home.

I wonder what the resale value of stolen used shoes is. Wat Pho supplied a pair of shoes so my friend could get home.

Maybe the thief stole them for himself rather than to sell.  Nice of Wat Pho to give your friend some shoes.  You know what I would have done if my shoes were stolen?  I would have stolen somebody else's shoes . . .

Woman at Elevator (Rashel Novikoff):  "They stole my shoes last week.  A pair of good shoes!"

WIlly Clark (Walter Matthau):  "Who would want your shoes?"

-  'The Sunshine Boys'

I'm surprised to hear that. Last time I went to Wat Pho (January or February), they actually provided bags for visitors to carry around their shoes in. Part of me found that silly, to be honest, but on the other hand, having your shoes stolen is far worse. So the question is, have they done away with the bags in the meantime or did he opt not to use one?

Thankfully I tend to have some fairly modestly priced sandals, so these should not get stolen.  Although, theft would be highly inconvenient.

Then, whilst I have no intention of disrespecting local culture, a few months ago I visited a large temple complex on the edge of Bangkok (with a couple of board members).  We diligently took our shoes off, but the inside of the temple had dusty floors and bird excrement in places. 

Practically, if that's how it's going to be, they might as well have people wearing shoes.   I can see sense in removing footwear to enter a clean building, but not a dirty one.

Needless to say, I shall carry on removing footwear when visiting temples.  When in Rome......

I'm surprised to hear that. Last time I went to Wat Pho (January or February), they actually provided bags for visitors to carry around their shoes in. Part of me found that silly, to be honest, but on the other hand, having your shoes stolen is far worse. So the question is, have they done away with the bags in the meantime or did he opt not to use one?

Me too. I was there in December and they gave everyone a cloth bag to put your shoes in and carry them with you.

My nice hiking shoes were stolen in Bagan when I visited Myanmar a few years ago. My guide was horrified and took me to a shoe store in town where he bought me a pair of sandals. If you can stand to walk around in cheap sandals that is probably the safest route to go.

True story - The first time I was ever in Thailand, in Bangkok I wanted to take a guided tour.  From among the tour choices, the one that appealed to me most was called "Temple Tour."  It was going to be a city tour that includes stops at the most famous temples - the reclining Buddha, the Emerald Buddha, etc.

The tour guide spoke very good English and was well versed about everywhere we were going.  I knew about the tradition of removing shoes when entering a temple, but I didn't know why.  I was curious.

At one of the stops I asked the tour guide why removing shoes before entering was the tradition and why it was such an important thing to do.  Based on his lengthy answers throughout the tour, I was expecting a detailed, complex explanation about it.

Here's the answer I received:

Me:  "Why is removing shoes an important requirement when entering a Buddhist temple?"

Tour Guide:  "Keep floor clean."

Thankfully I tend to have some fairly modestly priced sandals, so these should not get stolen.  Although, theft would be highly inconvenient.

Then, whilst I have no intention of disrespecting local culture, a few months ago I visited a large temple complex on the edge of Bangkok (with a couple of board members).  We diligently took our shoes off, but the inside of the temple had dusty floors and bird excrement in places. 

Practically, if that's how it's going to be, they might as well have people wearing shoes.   I can see sense in removing footwear to enter a clean building, but not a dirty one.

sometimes theft can be accidental ie. somebody wearing the same make may take yours by mistake, It's why often I place shoes in my day pack instead leaving them on the rack.

Since I was one of those board members I confirm that floors were positively dirty in places but it's still far from climbing Mt.Popa near Bagan in Myanmar where one is asked to remove shoes and climb the mountain barefooted  on the cemented trail liberally sprinkled with resident monkey's excrements , experience not to be forgotten too soon

There was a communal storage room with racks for shoes, with many people going in and out.

Standing with white shirt and black trousers is the thief putting on my friend's shoes.

post-9763-0-58846100-1460952118_thumb.jpg

I usually wear cheap flip-flops, especially when I go to temples so I can get in and out without effort. Nobody would steal mine, but confusion or taking mine when someone else's were stolen would be possible.

confusion or taking mine when someone else's were stolen would be possible.

If someone walks out wearing your shoes, I'd say chances are good it was simply a mistake.  If someone walks out wearing your shoes and carrying his own, then I'd say it was a deliberate theft.

Of course, the next question is who would go to a temple to steal someone else's shoes?

Of course, the next question is who would go to a temple to steal someone else's shoes?

A shoe thief.  Where better to steal shoes ?

The world is full of people with no ethics.  Some hack others heads off because they do not follow the right religion.  Others steal shoes at tourist attractions.  

Some days ago, a friend had his shoes (expensive, 4900 Baht) stolen at Wat Pho. Footage from security camera shows the thief in operation, who must have experience to choose expensive shoes. I wonder what the resale value of stolen used shoes is. Wat Pho supplied a pair of shoes so my friend could get home.

Thanks for the warning.  It always crosses my mind having my shoes stolen when I visit a temple.  And here I came to the easy solution:  take them in with me.

In addition to wearing cheap flip-flops that are not worth stealing (unless someone else stole your shoes and you don't want to walk home bare feet), I sometimes wear different styles on both feet. That will absolutely confuse any thief (and confuses even friends). That came when one flip-flop was close to breaking, and then I found a single flip-flop for that side that fitted.

In addition to dirty floors in lesser visited places as mentioned above, stone gets damn hot in the sunlight. In many cases when walking around bare feet in the outside area, I have to keep moving or stand in the shade.

Furthermore, my feet can be quite dirty after a day walking in the dust, so removing shoes does not improve the situation much.

Guest ronnie4you

Having size 14 feet means that not only are few, if any Thais going to be interested in stealing them, not many Westerners will either! Of course, for the Thais they could be an oddity to display.demotivational-posters-demotivating-post

Having size 14 feet means that not only are few, if any Thais going to be interested in stealing them, not many Westerners will either! Of course, for the Thais they could be an oddity to display.

Right, there is no way we can win at this.

While Thais can get away with our shoes, which will be bigger than their feet,

it is much harder for us to walk away with their shoes, which will be too small for us.