Guest nothin2say

Lumpini Park

Guest nothin2say

Does anyone go exercise at Lumpini ?

When is best time to go & are there any shower facilities there ?

anything interesting there ?

When I'm in bkk I often go to Lumpini Park in the early evening for a run. It's very busy there at this time with runners, being one of the few places for them in the city. As far as I know there are no showers - I just walk/jog back to my hotel afterwards dripping sweat. I normally stay at the Tantawan. Maybe you could cool off in the lake !. Only joking.

Everyone, including farangs, has to stop for the national anthem,- that's interesting. You can sometimes get into conversation jogging along with the type of Thais we not normally meet, like bank managers or train drivers, which has happened to me.

It's cooler of course in the early morning or evening but you could go at any time during the day.

There are a few stalls selling drinks.

When I'm in bkk I often go to Lumpini Park in the early evening for a run.

Run?  :rofl:  I didn't run the last time I was shot at!  Well, point of fact I did... it was after an unpleasant run-in with a bartender in Tijuana 40+ years ago, but my knees don't take kindly to it any more.

Morning is a great time for as brisk of a stroll as you'd care to take there, though, and the moving scenery can be impressive. I do it most mornings when I'm in Bangkok.   Evenings can be warmer, and more crowded.

Guest nothin2say

When I'm in bkk I often go to Lumpini Park in the early evening for a run. It's very busy there at this time with runners, being one of the few places for them in the city. As far as I know there are no showers - I just walk/jog back to my hotel afterwards dripping sweat. I normally stay at the Tantawan. Maybe you could cool off in the lake !. Only joking.

Everyone, including farangs, has to stop for the national anthem,- that's interesting. You can sometimes get into conversation jogging along with the type of Thais we not normally meet, like bank managers or train drivers, which has happened to me.

It's cooler of course in the early morning or evening but you could go at any time during the day.

There are a few stalls selling drinks.

@travellerdave - Thanks! i seems interesting that we could mingle with all sorts of people.  About the gym, i think it's an open air work out area.  Guys if i got this wrong pls correct me !

I like morning stroll through the park and do it very often , sometimes in the evening too but exercising? I'd get tired, LOL

Watching men lifting weights in the outdoor gym make me sweat already

@vinapu - haha that's a good way to lose some sweat !

Guest abang1961

Lumpini Park is one of the most-visit places in Bangkok.

I usually get my morning exercise at the Taiji Corner (near the clock tower).

It is a very stress-free way to start the morning with the middle class Thais... more women than men ..but who cares?

The open air gym is about 500 metres from the clock tower. 

You cant miss it (happy ogling at some of the bodies)...

There is a swimming pool within the park but I havent got any information about that..

What is a good time to have a stroll at the park to see guys working out? Is it true that some Tawan guys work out there?

The open area "gym" at Lumpini park is a collection of old rusty equipment that is no match to what a decent gym has, and I assume that the people who work out there have no better place to do so.   It is known that early in the morning one can see some eye candy jogging around, and also some lizards, which may be more unique than just some shirtless guys. 

I like morning stroll through the park and do it very often , sometimes in the evening too but exercising? I'd get tired, LOL

Watching men lifting weights in the outdoor gym make me sweat already

vinapu,

exercising with weights is a sure and well known way for older bodies like mine to retain some attributes of youth, like having more muscle mass than fat, and keep the inner gears in good running condition.   In this sense, it is more effective than the gin and whiskey you like to substitute water with.

If you never do any weight lifting, you have the advantage of experiencing very fast progress as soon as you start doing it.

I went for running several times 2014-2016. Usually in the evening to avoid the heat and sun, but still have daylight. In one occasion in the morning (around 6 am - usually I am sound asleep, but I just happened to come back from sauna).

There are public toilets (pay), but no showers I know of.

Number of cute boys (by my standards) is very low, I can run one hour in Lumpini park and pass 1000 people, and not one cute boy among them, at maximum 5.

There are indeed shirtless men at the outdoor gym who might appeal to some, but not to me. Monitor lizards are an interesting sight, and there are many cats, most of the tame.

Number of cute boys (by my standards) is very low, I can run one hour in Lumpini park and pass 1000 people, and not one cute boy among them, at maximum 5.

There are indeed shirtless men at the outdoor gym who might appeal to some, but not to me. Monitor lizards are an interesting sight, and there are many cats, most of the tame.

Agree!  The chances to see a cute boy running at Lumpini are abysmally low. 

BTW... boys don't become cute as much by running as they do by doing athleticism or exercising with weights,  like it happens to everyone else.  Places to find cute boys are the gyms who are known to be frequented by cute boys. 

I never saw anyone attractive working out at Lumpini's outdoor gym.  But then... there are surely guys at Tawan that I won't find attractive either.

vinapu,

exercising with weights is a sure and well known way for older bodies like mine to retain some attributes of youth, like having more muscle mass than fat, and keep the inner gears in good running condition.   In this sense, it is more effective than the gin and whiskey you like to substitute water with.

If you never do any weight lifting, you have the advantage of experiencing very fast progress as soon as you start doing it.

old man once complained to his doctor that all his life he maintained healthy lifestyle hoping he will live 20 years longer than the average but now he is all in pain and barely can lift his hands.

Doctor nod knowingly and said " well,  those are your extra 20 years" 

old man once complained to his doctor that all his life he maintained healthy lifestyle hoping he will live 20 years longer than the average but now he is all in pain and barely can lift his hands.

Doctor nod knowingly and said " well,  those are your extra 20 years" 

Excuses... excuses...  LOL!  :)

There is a swimming pool within the park but I havent got any information about that..

For the swimming pool you need a membership with the Lumphini fitness club (they have an indoor gym right next to the pool, the membership can be appled for at the reception desk there). Needs some paperwork such as health certificate and passport copy and such, cost is only 40 Baht/year for the membership. Each use of the pool then costs 15 Baht.

So not really suitable for visitors

Guest ronnie4you

I often exercise at Lumpini Park. I walk, beginning at the entrance, if not at my hotel, then continue on to the outdoor gym, where I rest for an hour or so. Once rested, I begin the walk back, usually taking a nap upon return to the hotel It sure can be a bitch crossing Rama IV Road. (Do I have that right?)

You have it right.  If you can cross the street east of Lumpini park (Witthayu rd.), you can cross Rama IV by taking the MRT underground passage.

there is an underground passage at the Silom MRT as well. And an overpass bridge about halfway between the two corners of the park

Guest nothin2say

finally managed to go run recently.  Quite nice there were a lot of people but not crowded.

also managed to spot a few cute guys (of different nationalities)  

i was quite surprised there was swimming pool and indoor gym ! given these two facilities there must be some shower facility within ?

The Youth Center with swimming pool and indoor gym must have shower facilities.

I am member in another Youth Center, you have to submit membership application, passport picture, copy of passport, health certificate (doctor basically checks if you are alive, price varies from 50 to 500 Baht depending on where you go). It's indeed incredibly cheap: 40 Baht per year and 15 Baht per day if I use the facilities. Everything clean and well maintained.

The Youth Center with swimming pool and indoor gym must have shower facilities.

I am member in another Youth Center, you have to submit membership application, passport picture, copy of passport, health certificate (doctor basically checks if you are alive, price varies from 50 to 500 Baht depending on where you go). It's indeed incredibly cheap: 40 Baht per year and 15 Baht per day if I use the facilities. Everything clean and well maintained.

Any chance you happen to have recommendations on where to go to get a cheap health certificate?  I'm going to be in Bangkok for 5 weeks and would like to swim daily like I normally do... and am trying to find a pool at a reasonable cost...

Any chance you happen to have recommendations on where to go to get a cheap health certificate?  I'm going to be in Bangkok for 5 weeks and would like to swim daily like I normally do... and am trying to find a pool at a reasonable cost...

well I got mine from the Bangkok Christian Hospital for free, but that's because I went there anyway because of something else and asked for it. They just gave it to me at no extra cost from the bill I got for the other things. I would think it won't be expensive there.

Alternatively, go to www.sathornclinic.com, the gay doctor that has been mentioned here somehwere a few times. Very small clinic (or rather really a doctor's practice) and nice people and doctor. They now have two branches, one on Suan Phlu and the other conveniently right on Silom next to Noodi's, adjacent to the small soi where G.O.D. is.