Guest sydneyboy

Sex Industry Crackdown

Guest sydneyboy

There was a report in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald from its Thailand correspondent about a crackdown on Thailand's commercial sex scene. I quote the first paragraph in full : "Thailand's infamous sex industry is under fire, with the tourism minister pushing to rid the country of its ubiquious brothels and a spate of police raids in recent weeks on some of the largest establishments providing sex services in Bangkok". The tourism minister was quoted as saying ''Tourists do not come to Thailand for such a thing (sex). They come for our beautiful culture''.

The report states that police raids on dozens of brothels in recent weeks in major cities all over the country. There is no specific mention of the gay scene. Has anyone encounted issues in respect to the gay go go bars and massage establishments? I recall some years ago Thaksin had a ''social order'' crackdown which did impact (relatively briefly) on the gay scene. Comments and observations welcome.

Guest abang1961

Isn't it stupid to try to eradicate sex trade anywhere?

Come on, it is the world's second oldest occupation.

There are people in critical need of money and the fastest way is to offer your time and body.

Instead of killing the goose that lay the golden eggs. why can't they simply turn a blind eye altogether?

After all, this is the Land of Smiles (from guys and gals) not some morally-upright society!

Tell me, without proper education and skills, can the domestic economy by Thais alone sufficient to survive?

So to the Thai authorities, wake up your bloody idea!

Guest sydneyboy

The threat to the economy was mentioned in this newspaper report as was corruption. We all know this will mean just more bribes after the initial dust settles.

''Tourists do not come to Thailand for such a thing (sex). They come for our beautiful culture''.

they would do smart thing if they considered how much average museum goer contributes to the economy versus average Sex Joe spending most of his time in bars and taking offs right , left and centre 

In my seven trips to LOS,  only in the first one I visited most of the tourist traps with a guide.  In the other six, "beautiful culture" never crossed my mind, busy with "beautiful people".

Isn't it ironic that the military post themselves as defenders of morality? The military are the only group in society allowed and encouraged to kill other people (the 'enemy'?) with impunity.

Crackdowns on pleasure, while ultimately never successful, can be successful in the short term.  At the moment, as PaulSF and others have mentioned, the non Thai boys have been let go from the gogo shows.  The Vietnamese boys, some of whom I know, are giving up on waiting and going home.

The Vietnamese boys, some of whom I know, are giving up on waiting and going home.

The Vietnamese are not very religious, and their acceptance of LGTBs is improving. 

Wouldn't it be a smart move by this country to to offer these returning boys good working opportunities and take some of the sex tourism away from Thailand?  

There is nothing better for consumers than some competition :)

So they they built the biggest Brothel in the world ...and now they want to knock it down. ..Fat chance.

If Thailand wants to attract the fabled quality tourist, they'd better knock down all of Pattaya and rebuild, this time with proper infrastructure and urban planning. Pavements full of utility poles, cables in open air, etc. don't exactly exude luxury.

I guess some of the bars in the center of Bangkok will feel the heat though. They're sitting on some valuable real-estate.

Actually its the oldest..

Hunters, fishers, gatherers, scribes, medicine men, priests, artists, craftsman such as stone tools makers, etc. All might qualify as the oldest profession. We really don't know if money or goods or services were exchanged for sex in ancient times.

Guest shamahan

Go go bars , host bars and massage parlors operate legally in Thailand (in localities where they are allowed). It does not mean they do not need to pay "tea money"" (otherwise, they can be accused of being "front for prostitution" which is illegal in Thailand).

There are also "bona fide" brothels which are strictly illegal and always have been objects of persecution. The type of establishments mentioned above are not going anywhere (and not unique for Thailand) no matter who and what said.

Guest Steve1903

If Thailand wants to attract the fabled quality tourist, they'd better knock down all of Pattaya and rebuild, this time with proper infrastructure and urban planning. Pavements full of utility poles, cables in open air, etc. don't exactly exude luxury.

Pavements full of even slabs would be a start.

What? you want another Singapore there?

If they attract  quality tourist where we all are supposed to go?  

What? you want another Singapore there?

If they attract  quality tourist where we all are supposed to go?  

I wouldn't worry about Thai authorities starting over in Pattaya.

Moral crusaders are quite capable of shooting themselves in the foot however.

I wouldn't mind a second Singapore if the boys are still there.

Guest shamahan

People who invoke Singapore in this thread  demonstrate their ignorance. Prostitution is LEGAL in Singapore. However, gay sex is not. That creates certain problems with gay sex  entertainment venues. The latter may change in not so distant future and Singapore has a chance to become  one of the most attractive  asian gay destinations.

People who invoke Singapore in this thread  demonstrate their ignorance. Prostitution is LEGAL in Singapore. However, gay sex is not. That creates certain problems with gay sex  entertainment venues. The latter may change in not so distant future and Singapore has a chance to become  one of the most attractive  asian gay destinations.

in context of Singapore we were talking about quality of urban planning and infrastructure , not an access to  somebody's ass and cock.