firecat69

Olympics and Brazil

In my many trips to Rio, I never had any problems with crime. Buts it's there and you just need to be very aware of your surroundings I lived in Oakland for many years. As bad a crime rate as any in the US. I would rarely go out after dark. But it made me aware of how to handle myself in Rio. Cost of boys is about the same in Thailand and Brazil. But everything else much more expensive in Brazil.

A long weekend in Brazil costs me as much as 10 days in Bangkok. I love Rio, but have BF in Bangkok which keeps me in Thailand.

The only thing you have right on high costs are the Hotels.  And as Michael said many have moved to Airbnb or similar sites as I did long ago in Pattaya.  Restaurants are the same. Plenty of cheap ones and plenty of expensive ones just like Thailand.

In good faith I don't think Rio is as safe as Thailand but I also never had a problem but I followed the rules that I posted in the Scam thread . I was out late at night many times but was careful.  I stayed in Ipanema after the first trip and felt secure walking around there.

Safety is not why I stopped going but rather I don't like Saunas and that is where all the boys are. In addition despite Michaels comments the average sauna on a busy night would have 40-50 guys. Maybe there would be 1 or 2 twinks.  I don't like the odds. Are there nights where there might be more , of course. 

Someone who stays a month might have better luck. 10 days the odds are not in your favor.

There are only 2 Bars I can think of in BKK and Pattaya where I could walk into where at least 50% of the boys would meet most members definition of twinks.

Guest ryanasia

Well i am not a fan of saunas these days myself. In my younger years I would have been up for it. It sounds like the gay scene in Rio is pretty desperate compared to Thailand and this is perhaps another reason people aren't that tempted. Nowhere has the sex scene that Thailand does and it seems like Rio is no exception. 

I am not trying to be overly negative but the question was why people aren't going there in droves. 

I don't think it compares but you can go to www.boytoy.com and check the Latin American Forum  where you will find just as many members as here who travel there regularly and just love it.

Keep in mind when I say Saunas- they are more like Gay Bars where all the boys are either wearing towels or naked much of the time and they are all moneyboys so nothing like a Sauna in Thailand.

Most of the members there have the same thing to say about Thailand that some have said here about Brazil

The reason for my post was just curious as to why there seems to be so little cross visiting between the same members.

Truth told there are more members there that have been to Thailand then there are here who have visited Brazil

This site exists to talk about Gay Sex and yes there are some non Sex things discussed but it is a very small %

There are quite a few member here that have Paid Sex many places besides Thailand including myself.

To me just interesting questions?

I'm one that has done a lot of trips to both countries. I agree there are many more sex spots in Thailand. I'm not into the big Tawan type boys in the Rio Saunas, but I never had any problems finding a good time.

What I really don't like about Brazil, is the saunas are pretty much wrapped up around 9pm. In Bangkok I'm just going out at 9. I can hang around Soi Twilight till 2 or 3am.

Guest ryanasia

I am just offering some of the reasoning that plays into it. I could be wrong but the fact that many people aren't raving about Brazil means there must be some concrete reasons for this. I think you will find many Americans go to Rio because it is close and I think hunks are also a big seller in America. 

It seems also that some of the guys that are into the Tawan guys on this board are from or based in Asia so it is simply much more convenient? Paulsf mentioned costs and I do think that is a big part of it. Also in between your time at the saunas what exactly is there to do in Rio? The fact that I bring up Rio and not Brazil in general seems to suggest in some ways there is no other gay destination over there? 

These are not meant as arguments but simply adding to a discussion. It seems like you are of the opinion that people looking for muscle guys should be checking out Brazil. That might be the case but even the people that have been going over there aren't exactly raving about the place like they do about Thailand or Pattaya. It just doesn't stack up against Thailand as one of the worlds foremost gay destinations so far.

Again I refer you to www.boytoy.com where there are just as many people raving about Brazil as there are members here raving about Thailand.

I don't how many times I can say there is no significant difference in cost if you are happy using sites such as Airbnb to rent apartments,,  Food , boys etc are the same.  Paul brings up a good point about saunas closing at 9pm, then again they are open much earlier then all the Bars in Thailand.  Depends whether you are a day or a night person.

Really good point about quite a few Asian members here where Thailand is much closer then Brazil . However there are lots of members here from the USA where Brazil is much closer.  Never looked at Europe but I suspect it is a longer trip to Brazil then Thailand for our European members.

Actually checked and London is only 11+ hours from Rio so similar to BKK although I would guess non stop flights might be a little more money but specials always available.

Guest ryanasia

Okay my last theory on why people on this forum don't go to there more often is because they like Thai boys. this seems like a simple theory that is hard to debunk. Muscles are one thing but maybe they prefer Thai guys with muscles? I like twinks and I know there are some in Brazil but the ones there aren't as cute as Thai twinks for me. So Just because there are muscle guys there doesn't mean it is the same. 

As was mentioned as well you can get a guy over here who gives off a BFE if that's what you want. I think that's preferable to many than a straight guy who is going to go home to his wife and kids after the act. Also Brazil has an image for being dangerous it deters people. It isn't really well known as a gay destination either. Ask 5 different people the top 5 spots for gay travel in the world and it is doubtful Brazil would be at the top of these. Thailand would always be mentioned. 

One thing for me is the Brazillian guys I have met online were just not that appealing to hang out with. So you can add culture to the list of what differentiates the product as well. Don't get me wrong I have always wondered about Brazil but the more i looked into it the more I decided maybe another time. This thread re-enforces that feeling for me. 

It seems that the gay scene isn't so open and is hidden in saunas. I think that Brazil might be equal to Thailand if you are a straight sex tourist. I know it is very popular for straight guys especially from the USA. 

I'll say again, I love Brazil and I love Thailand.  I never understand why someone must choose one or the other.  Both are amazing.  if i were into top muscle, well, Brazil is unbeatable.  If I were into skinny fem boys, well, Thailand is unbeatable. 

I like twinks and have had luck in both places with them.  Unlike Firecat, I don't mind spending more than a little time in a sauna looking for them. Firecat likes the apps to find guys.  I hate them.  I never get what I want or think I'm getting.  I hate when a guy puts a photo that looks muscular and shows up in bikinis and fem. That is why I like to see the boys first.  I need to see them and the saunas allow for that.  And, there are tons of twinks in Brazil.  Not all at the sauna but the parks are full of them and the gay clubs are full of them.  I'll do both until I find a guy I like and then let them bring their friends over.  It is not as easy as walking into Soi Twilight and getting number 88. But, it is still possible and fun.

I have never been to Brazil without finding multiple boys that I like and adore and have a wonderful time with.  I have about 10 that I would rank in my top ever.  They were incredible.  So, you may ask, why do I not stay there more often?  Well, for me it is simple.  I have 2 Thai boys I adore and life is easy with them. When they throw me away for getting too old, I'll then make more trips to Brazil.

I love the boys there and I love the boys in Thailand.  I think both have great offerings for twinks. 

Guest ryanasia

We are just comparing the places out of curiosity. So of course sides will be taken. I would rather be in either Rio or Thailand than Iowa FWIW.

I have a couple of friends that go to Brazil once or twice a year., I keep inviting them to come to Bangkok with me. I have room in my condo for them, so not a cost issue. But they both don't want to spend 24 hours on a plane. Rio is 8 hours and bad enough.

Even for me as I get older, the trip is getting more difficult.

Move the decimal point over 1 place and that Dump would still be over priced.

Yes, that hotel is like the Welcome Plaza of Rio.  LOL

I stay at the Marriott.  The rates can be from insane to wildly insane.

I stayed at The Intercontinental Hotel for years but that changed brands. Hotels are just expensive in Rio and thus why so many do Airbnb

Yes, that hotel is like the Welcome Plaza of Rio.  LOL

I stay at the Marriott.  The rates can be from insane to wildly insane.

I stayed at The Intercontinental Hotel for years but that changed brands. Hotels are just expensive in Rio and thus why so many do Airbnb

it looks you work overtime to promote Rio. LOL

it looks you work overtime to promote Rio. LOL

I do! And, the same for Thailand.  I just believe that people who like sexy boys should visit both places at least once to see the offerings. 

I can't tell you how many guys I have brought to Thailand who didn't want to come because "they weren't into Asians" but once they visited, the loved Thai guys and have come back again and again. The same in true for Brazil.  I just love any place where you can find sexy guys who are willing to spend time with old men!

I do! And, the same for Thailand.  I just believe that people who like sexy boys should visit both places at least once to see the offerings. 

I can't tell you how many guys I have brought to Thailand who didn't want to come because "they weren't into Asians" but once they visited, the loved Thai guys and have come back again and again. The same in true for Brazil.  I just love any place where you can find sexy guys who are willing to spend time with old men!

Haha. I'm one of those people who don't go for Asians at home but all about them in Thailand. Maybe because there are more white guys where I live.

Again I refer you to www.boytoy.com where there are just as many people raving about Brazil as there are members here raving about Thailand.

This thread has inspired me to go to Rio. I'm checking out the boytoy forums right now and looks like its doable. Maybe the crime situation gets better at some point. I am guessing the sex tourist infrastructure is not as welcoming in Brazil as it is in Thailand, but I guess I'll have to find this out.

Guest FossilGay

The%'s are not with you ,where as in Thailand you'd have to be dead not to find Twinks almost everywhere you go.

That's not true.  Plenty of the dead in Pattaya have no problems finding twinks whatsoever.