numazu

September in Thailand and Cambodia: Tips?

Whall if you have a hard time finding things to do in Pattaya in the day you will get bored of Siem Reap very quickly. 

With one of most magnificent cluster of ruins in the whole world it's just a blasphemy / my underline /.

If one is  templed-out , Tonle Sap lake and it's floating villages are nice respite. 

I recommend trip up to Kulen mountain / take swimsuit to use at waterfall/ as well as carved riverbed of Kbal Spien with 'pink' temple of Banteai Srei mnetion ed by divine Madman and landmine museum on the way.

As for temples I recommend less known , as impressive as main  ones but much less crowded since most package tourists are crowding at Bayon , Angkor Wat, Preah Khan and Ta Prohm leaving others for more adventuros types. 

Guest roguebear

Thx for the review. Very helpful. I was thinking of staying here http://rambutanresortsr.com/property/

Our stay last December at Rambutan in Siem Reap was very unpleasant due to 2 construction sites next to the resort followed by some outdoor music venue that rocked until the wee hours.  The location was across the river from old town near the night market.  Recommend a little further away from old town and inquire about sound proofing. We tried 3 different rooms and still a problem.  Rambutan in Phnom Penh was nice and had no issues.

I reported my gay and sightseeing activities in Cambodia here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/search/label/Cambodia

(Jul 2014, Jan 2016, Aug 2016 will be published soon)

Advice on Angkor Wat: the food there is grossly overpriced and my meal was of poor quality (my friend complained as well), bring your own lunch.

I'm a city guy so I don't mind noise and activity. If things are quiet, I get nervous. And I like walking. So Rambutan sounds like the place for me.

Advice on Angkor Wat: the food there is grossly overpriced and my meal was of poor quality (my friend complained as well), bring your own lunch.

Bring your own lunch? No, too much trouble. You're on holiday.

Get out of bed about 9:00 am. Have a shower & slow but sizeable breakfast.

Stroll into town have a coffee & croissant for a bargain price. It should be quiet, as all the other losers have got up early & gone off sightseeing. All unnecessary, since the temples will be there later in the day.

Then find your tuk tuk driver for the day & set off about 10:30~ 11:00 am. Maybe with a couple of bananas in the rucksack.

Spenf the time sightseeing. Return about 14:00~18:00. Have a fine evening meal for very little money. Then think about the bars.

Excellent advice for Siem Reap! Can anybody help us out (OP and myself) about advice for Phnom Penh? Specifically, what are the good places for money boys..massages..also where to stay? I like staying where the action is.

With one of most magnificent cluster of ruins in the whole world it's just a blasphemy / my underline /.

Yes I probably won't be bored in Angkor Wat at all, considering there is just so many cultural wonders out there. If there are boys to be had, its just the icing on the already amazing cake.

Our stay last December at Rambutan in Siem Reap was very unpleasant due to 2 construction sites next to the resort followed by some outdoor music venue that rocked until the wee hours. The location was across the river from old town near the night market. Recommend a little further away from old town and inquire about sound proofing. We tried 3 different rooms and still a problem. Rambutan in Phnom Penh was nice and had no issues.

I stayed at Rambutan. Great staff, beautiful environment, quiet and just a short stroll to pub street for evening activities. Highly recommended.

I booked my stay here at the Rambutan for three nights. Highly recommended by the siamroads tour guides Ya (BKK) and Sareth (Siem Reap). We shall see how I like the property. I am looking forward to staying there.

I reported my gay and sightseeing activities in Cambodia here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/search/label/Cambodia

(Jul 2014, Jan 2016, Aug 2016 will be published soon)

Great photos of Siem Reap! Looks like you had fun. And a lot of stuff about saunas in PP, which I am thinking I won't be able to do (it's just not my thing), but a lot of information there. I am saving your recommendations. I am probably not gonna worry about food costs. I'm guessing this is till way cheaper than what I am used to in the USA.

If anyone wants a good and reliable taxi company / guide pm me and I will send the contact details.

The company is not gay owned but we enjoyed our trips with them last November

I confirmed with Sareth, the siamroads tour guide for Siem Reap, will be available for my trip as a guide. He is providing all the transportation of I don't have to worry about that. Thanks for the recommendation though :).

Bring your own lunch? No, too much trouble. You're on holiday.

Get out of bed about 9:00 am. Have a shower & slow but sizeable breakfast.

Stroll into town have a coffee & croissant for a bargain price. It should be quiet, as all the other losers have got up early & gone off sightseeing. All unnecessary, since the temples will be there later in the day.

Then find your tuk tuk driver for the day & set off about 10:30~ 11:00 am. Maybe with a couple of bananas in the rucksack.

Spenf the time sightseeing. Return about 14:00~18:00. Have a fine evening meal for very little money. Then think about the bars.

That's a great itinerary! I am letting Sareth do all the planning for us so we will see what he has in store for me and my Khmer friend.

Excellent advice for Siem Reap! Can anybody help us out (OP and myself) about advice for Phnom Penh? Specifically, what are the good places for money boys..massages..also where to stay? I like staying where the action is.

I agree, more advice on PP please! And thanks for the tips so far, these are awesome!

"IMHO best to get a thorough onhand review from as recent as last year on that other forum from the well-travelled OZzie a747 (or so, an ex-airsteward)."

What?? An ex-air steward??

God almighty, what next? Lol

Gay bars in SR are pathetic compared to anything in Thailand, but the massage places, especially the one over the river, are fantastic. Guys to suit every taste, if I remember correctly. The only thing missing is the big Isaan - size cock.

I was planning on going back to SR this year but I'm now heading off to Europe for a month instead. I'm travelling with a straight female friend so sex opportunities with the local guys will be severly limited. However, if I can persuade her to do a bit of sightseeing by herself every now and then, I'll hop straight onto the apps and see if I can fit in a quickie. Wish me luck!!

My best friend and I were in SR last october. We stayed at the Golden Butterfly Villa. Not a gay place but friendly and reasonably priced. Paid about USD 250 for a week, room with balcony including breakfast. Nice clean place in walking distance to city center and night market, cute staff too. On the way to old town / Pub Street about 100 m from the hotel was "Chillax Lounge".  Had lots of fun having cocktails ($2,50 - 3,50 each) and laughs with the german owner there.

Station is ok and has a very impressive wine list, as well as a show - the usual drag / Michael-Jackson-impersonator and similar things. You should be able to find it on youtube.

Barcode was ok too, bar downstairs, massage upstairs.  We were not impressed by Linga Bar at all.

No GoGo bars like Thailand. As I was accompanied by my Thai BF I didn't look for hook-ups, but my friend did find several guys on the usual apps, some of them were offended when he offered money, the others were ok with $25 - 40 depending on them staying for breakfast.

This october my BF and I will be in PNH and Sihanoukville from 22 until 30 october, Meeting up with my best friend.in Phonm Penh, as he gets more time off work and fly to Cambodia a week earlier. I'm very much looking forward to a trip report by Numazu. Straight friends have been to PNH before and said, the main sights of PNH you can see in one day by just walking from one site to the next. 

A&P (Arthur & Paul) is a great place to stay. Lots of fun to be had with the massage guys (Walter & Guru in particular but Lennie was a dud) and the cute bartender after closing time.

I agree. A&P is one of the best 'gay" hotels I've ever stayed at. It's got everything you could wish for, including its own sauna/darkroom next to the pool.

Oh, and if you're lucky, as I once was, you'll get a free sex show on the sunbeds by the pool!

I've done numerous reports on A&P and the delights of Phnom Pehn on another forum.

It should be quiet, as all the other losers have got up early & gone off sightseeing. 

that would be me, only way to beat the crowds is to be there when everybody else still has breakfast. And heat is more bearable.

Thing I remember most fondly from  my trip there is 15 minutes I was alone on highest level of Angkor Wat and having  Ta Som / small temple overgrown by a tree Ta Prohm style/  just to myself.

Wish me luck!!

I wish you luck !

Again: the well-known sites are best for hook-ups, but also realise that any boy with a fancy Ifone etc must have a foreign sugar+cream-provider- the average Khmer does it with that trusted old Nokia.

OK so I did the fake GPS thing to Phnom Penh (location set at the city center) and turned on both Grindr and PlanetRomeo. I did not get a lot of hits in PlanetRomeo, but with Grindr, wow my app lit up like a Christmas tree. Most of the hits were from Khmers 20-30, and most of them are cute, and none felt like they were money boys from the conversation. Most were looking for friends and sex as well, and conversations were very friendly and the english very good. Too bad I am not there yet as most wanted to meet soon after the conversation got serious. Had some ask me for my Line and the conversations continued there. Some offered to go with me to the bars. This might be one avenue I'll discover more maybe in December. This September trip is all about sight seeing, and I wouldn't want to troll online too much.

that would be me, only way to beat the crowds is to be there when everybody else still has breakfast

Getting there late also seems successful for avoiding the crowds. Perhaps the Tuk Tuk drivers follow a similar circuit.

Apologies for the loser comment, must have been too much wine.

As for fake GPS apps, there are many of them on the google app store. Just pick one with a reasonable customer rating. I have tried 2 or 3 of them. Currently I use Fake GPS, which allows users to store up to 6 fake locations for free.

Thanks for the tip about grindr being popular. Travelling around, I see different apps are popular in different countries.

Not using Grindr might have explained the quiet time on the apps last time I was in Cambodia.

Clearly it makes sense to try several different ones, to find out where all the boys are.

Planet Romeo might be fine in Pattaya, but in (say) Portugal, it is very quiet & Grindr is much more popular.

In the part of England where I am, there are clearly a lot more people on the newer apps. Current filter OFF stats for other people within a 10 km range of me are:

Planet Romeo 1

Jack D 9

Hornet 13

Grindr 64

I suppose it is now necessary to know all the apps which stand a chance of being popular, so we can try them in other SE Asian countries. Not just the usual suspects, but what about the Chinese app Blued ? Or something more obscure.