Guest ronnie4you

What To Put In My Trip Report (After I Go!)

Guest ronnie4you

Guys, I have been to Thailand 14 times since 1987. That doesn't mean that I am up to date. It's been 3-4 years since the last visit. So I am open to suggestions as to what to do.

Going to the bars was a big deal in the early days, not so much now. One or two sex shows will do me in. But this time, I will be there 18 nights with the husband. He's happy enough to go to the sex shows, but, being Asian himself, he has an attraction to Westerners/Caucasians more than he does to Asians. I am the opposite of course. But we travel well together.

I find that I like the convenience of the massage parlors, Bunny in particular. Hero never worked for me to the extent that others like it here. I m open to ideas though.

I have done many, if not most, of the tourist sites and temples. Husband has not, so I am thinking of Ayuthaya. I've been to the River Kwai and don't need to go back. We will be spending a few days in Pattaya first. Hua Hin? Is that interesting enough to warrant a visit?

How about a weekend in Phnom Penh? Hanoi? Vientiane? We've done Ho Chi Minh City and Siem Reap.

We will be staying in luxury hotels since they are such a bargain there and I could never afford them in the US. Maybe 3 or so to get different experiences. Do you have a favorite?

Thanks for any suggestions, and if I have not thought of a good category to ask about, feel free to mention one. I'll be glad to give a report after the trip.

Couple of suggestions from a trip last week.

Bangkok - stayed at Le meridian opposite Soi twilight and then the Sofitel so. Sofitel hands down winner. Beautiful infinity pool. Super gay friendly. Rooms overlooking Lumpini park best.

Pattaya - don'gtarn beach the gay beach best in my view. No traffic on the road in front of beach by day. Avalon and rabbit resort best - intimate quality. Prefer Avalon. Not Sofitel standard but best in the zone. These are retreats from the madness. Bar on top of the Hilton at night lovely.

Guest ronnie4you

Thanks, Jhoony. I have been considering the Sofitel So since I liked the old one on SIlom that is now a Pullman, I think.. And the rooftop bar at the Hilton sounds interesting also. Is don'gtarn beach a different beach from the gay beach in Jomtien? I  don't know it if so.

Doubted between Le Meridian and SO Sofitel, seems I picked the wrong one reading here. I hope it's nice anyway.

In Pattaya I booked the Baraquda by MGalery, had been thinking about the Avalon, but the hubby wanted something more fancy. ;-)

If you want a chill out few days I like Luang Prabang in Laos.

No gay scene (that we could find), not too much to see but the town itself just has a really nice feel about it.

I recommend Manda De Laos restaurant for a romantic if expensive dinner with your husband - go and make a reservation and choose a table at the front overlooking the lotus ponds.

Flights with Air Asia from Don Muang are usually keenly priced.

Also Bali is about a 4 hour flight from Bangkok, don't be put off by it's reputation as the Aussie Party Capital there is a lot to see with a good guide (I can recommend one)

Ayuthaya is a must, great day trip. Had a friend that just recently stayed at Baraquda and he loved it. If you're interested in a night out try Siam Niramit for a cultural show, ticket includes banquet dinner and transport

Guest ronnie4you

Thanks for these suggestions. It's an example of why this is a good board to be posting on as the members help each other out. Keep them coming, if possible.

Yes im a luxury hotel man.... well at least in BKK.  we always pick a property because of pools.  used to stay at the Metropolitan 3 visits - but prices have risen, and we have dropped in last couple years. loved that hotel.  nothing too fancy but  great pool, gym and sauna/spa.  modern rooms/bathrooms. they have pay for 3 stay for 4 deals. 

moved to the sofitel so 3 visits - so many great things... so many service issues.  loved the hotel.  great rooms overlooking the park.  great affinity pool, but does not cope during busy times. super gay friendly, including trans and cross dressing staff. i am accor member with status, not that well looked after.  no reason to keep going back in the end

we now park at the sukhothai - 2 visits back for 3rd in april for a week we love the property so much.   probably the most expensive, but i think they delivering the most for us now.  good old fashioned resort hotel (might be showing my age).  grounds are an absolute escape from the megacity.  pool fantastic. nice gym.  distance is an issue, as is seems like a 1/2km walk into the property alone.  but similar the 3 others above.  babylon just over the back fence, but it is about a 2km walk around to get to it. 

also tack on an escape from BKK chaing mai, koh lanta, krabi, buma, cambodia vietnam.  this time we doing  laos.  bali too far... but im from OZ, so we go to bali for the weekend!!! ;-)

Guest ronnie4you

Hotels! I have been looking at a lot of them. The Sofitel SO is only inexpensive for a basic room. The Sukothai is quite tempting, but, it is expensive. I am looking at Le Meridien right now.

I haven't been to Babylon in years. The husband wants to know if they have a good young Western clientele. I am not up to date on that.

Thanks for the posts.

Guest abang1961

I was at Baby long yesterday for a couple of hours.

No youngish white man..mainly those above 40.

I was groped, molested in the maze and steam room.

It was a wonderful trip as I lost count of the frequency of oral and condoned anal sex I had.

Guest abang1961

Pardon me but this don't sound good.

After my initial displeasure upon arrival, why must Thai immigration and customs officer spoil and tarnish the good image of the Thais?

I am always aware of immigration and flight regulations but I was terribly flabbergasted why my hand luggage was thoroughly inspected. I am fine as it is their duties to do that but after rummaging through my stuff, they don't bother to smile and say thank you. When I wanted to have a closer look at his staff pass, he used his hands to cover it and then removed it and placed it in his pockets.

I have done nothing wrong but a simple smile should suffice. Imagine repacking all items neatly into my bag.

Albeit all these, Thailand is still a worthy destination but with Cambodia and Vietnam beefing up their tourism efforts, Thailand is becoming to lose its glitter.

Having your hand luggage thoroughly inspected my happen on every border and if you want really see unsmiling border staff try either USA or Russia and you will be rewarded.

As a bonus Americans may even ask you questions like 'with whom do you live ' and 'do you rent your home or own' which happened to the undersigned traveling there for friend's funeral  fully dressed for an occasion