forky123

Hotel Joiner Policies

I don't think it's any controversy here. 

All i wanted to point is that Russian's behavior  in the baht bus described above while rude and uncalled for even if can't be justified , can be explained.

Yes boy or girl may be 26  but if he/she looks 16 it's better to thread carefully   in public in order to minimize unpleasant situation which may come not as much from local Thais as from other visitors.

The same applies to the same sex visitors on any age if one is staying in low budget hotels far from usual gay jaunts like in soi Bukhao. A Christian pointed above , even low budged places may be actively discriminating.

I've stayed in a hotel run by the people who run a straight gogo bar for 3 years.  100% male guests, no concerns.   Admittedly there is a gay gogo bar next door, strictly directly below my room.

My first priority is to avoid staying in a hotel frequented by any Arabs.   If they want to avoid sharing hotels with people like me, well even better, we're all happy.

I Think few hotels make a charge for joiners or refuse to accept them. No doubt a few in the upper expense category do this.

For some years I have only stayed at hotels known to be predominately gay. My motive for this is to avoid potential homophobia which could occur in places frequented by groups of ignorant str guys which are found in large numbers in Pattaya. I like many gay sex tourists bring back boys to my room who are much younger than my advanced age and would hate passing though the hotel lobby with them.

For my trip starting next week I'm staying for the first time in the Jomtien Complex at least for my first few days.

Hotel - Holiday Inn 1 Suhmkumvit 22 Bangkok

Visitors Allowed - Yes

Joiner Fee - No

Security - nobody cared. The concierge is at the ground level and check-in at 9th. You do not have to pass the check-in reception to gain access to your room.

And by the way, after a few days bar hopping in Soi Twilight, I do find Pattaya drink prices very affordable! 

For some years I have only stayed at hotels known to be predominately gay. My motive for this is to avoid potential homophobia which could occur in places frequented by groups of ignorant str guys which are found in large numbers in Pattaya

Yes, why would one stay in BKK or Pattaya in a place that is not predominantly gay or gay friendly?

I am so pleased staying at Babylon, and it is hard to imagine a more gay place...

The str. sex tourists don't respect the gay sex tourists?  What a hypocrisy !!!  They deserve something like this:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/sex-sells-worlds-sleaziest-city-9835405

"Sex sells in world's sleaziest city but Pattaya's 27,000 prostitutes could see roaring trade wiped out"

Yes, why would one stay in BKK or Pattaya in a place that is not predominantly gay or gay friendly?

Lots of hotels are gay friendly.    Including hotels with straight gogo bars downstairs.    They are pleased to take gay customers money and treat us with considerable respect.

Why stay there rather than somewhere that is predominantly gay ?     

Well, some of the predominantly gay hotels seem to charge significantly more for any given standard of hotel.  

Whilst I'm happy to stay in any competitive gay hotel, I'm not going to be paying 2000 baht for a 1400 baht room, just because of gay management or a few gay magazines lying around in reception.

Why stay there rather than somewhere that is predominantly gay ?     

Well, some of the predominantly gay hotels seem to charge significantly more for any given standard of hotel.  

Whilst I'm happy to stay in any competitive gay hotel, I'm not going to be paying 2000 baht for a 1400 baht room, just because of gay management or a few gay magazines lying around in reception.

I was not aware of this.  And I find it disturbing.

Why should hotels take advantage of our gayness?

We gays don't wear out the hotels more than straights, or eat more, or consume more water and electricity.

Instead we are less confrontational, better behaved, more financially trustworthy (I assume) 

I was not aware that there is such a thing as a pink tax in Pattaya and that I've been paying more for my accommodation than str visitors - is this actually true ?. In "gay" hotels in BT, Jomtien Complex and Sunee you occasionally see str couples including ladies which is OK by me, but I want to avoid contact with drunken homophobic men, especially when I'm with my young boyfriends. Also I like the opportunity of mixing with other gays from different parts of the wotld in the civilised atmosphere normally found in gay environments.

A pink tax suggests straight and gay visitors pay different rates for the same hotel which I'm unaware of. You do pay more for some hotels that cater more for the gay clientele. This, to me, is more supply and demand than anything else. If hotels get a good reputation for looking after their gay guests and always book up in advance then their prices will go up. If people aren't willing to pay, they will come down. I would rather pay a little more to stay somewhere I am welcome than to stay somewhere I am only tolerated or worse.

If there is a "pink tax" it's based on comparing what's charged at one hotel to another's charge.  Recently, I made a decision on staying at the Poseidon in Jomtien Complex or the Copa in Boyztown on a recent visit to Pattaya.  I was able to check out each hotel.  Poseidon was more expensive, I decided to stay there due to the quality of the service, the room type, and the overall ambiance.  Now that's comparing one gay friendly hotel to another.

Comparing a gay friendly hotel to one that is isn't specifically in that category shows a range of prices...I did this recently when booking in Bangkok. When the prices were similar, I went with the non-specific hotel based on the room type, location, etc., etc.

I do factor in if there might be a joiner fee or if there has been a report on this or other forums (forii?) of homophobia.

Forky123 is right on...it's supply and demand.

A pink tax suggests straight and gay visitors pay different rates for the same hotel which I'm unaware of. You do pay more for some hotels that cater more for the gay clientele. This, to me, is more supply and demand than anything else. If hotels get a good reputation for looking after their gay guests and always book up in advance then their prices will go up. If people aren't willing to pay, they will come down. I would rather pay a little more to stay somewhere I am welcome than to stay somewhere I am only tolerated or worse.

I'm certainly not suggesting we pay more for the same hotel, rather the gay specific hotels charge more for than a normal hotel of the same standard. 

• I've not stayed in a predominantly gay hotel in Pattaya for about 5 years.
  • In Bangkok, I stopped after the Om Yim let standards slip too far.
  • I tried the Manor House (gay) in Phnom Penh once and considered it over priced for what they offer. I moved to a normal hotel for the next 2 visits, with better quality and a more convenient location.

Some of the other gay places I tried have long since closed or rebranded, such as the Lavender Lanna in Chiang Mai, Ei8ht Rooms in Siem Reap and Cheers Cambodia.

My first trip to Thailand/Bangkok, Im staying at the Hotel Babylon. Are they ok with overnight guests (mainly my BF when he isnt working the next day)?

Does a bear shit in the woods? Does the Pope read the Bible?

(Btw, interesting member name; in German, "Schuft" means "villain", is this intended?)

When Babylon was in its heyday, I stayed there a few times.  As its popularity among locals slipped, so did the quality of services and maintenance.  There are far better options for the money in much more convenient locations in Silom and Suriwong area.

My first trip to Thailand/Bangkok, Im staying at the Hotel Babylon. Are they ok with overnight guests (mainly my BF when he isnt working the next day)?

You will have no problems at Babylon having your friend share all the facilities you are entitled to. He can stay overnight, he can have the good breakfast thereafter, he can get free entry to the sauna (they give two tickets per room, which can accommodate two guests), and he can mingle like you with other guests and have whatever fun goes on overnight in the barracks.

I have stayed there many times for the last 10 years and I consider it to be good value. It is located at some distance from the Silom area and Lumpini park, in a more residential place.  If you like to walk, this should not be a big problem.

When Babylon was in its heyday, I stayed there a few times.  As its popularity among locals slipped, so did the quality of services and maintenance.  There are far better options for the money in much more convenient locations in Silom and Suriwong area.

You must have had some random bad experience there, or read some of the bad reviews of the place.

I haven't noticed any decline over the years, still good service and maintenance of their excellent facilities, which is very rare in a gay establishment.  Babylon is only bashed by some ignorant who think THAT OLD AGE IS CONTAGIOUS, haha.  In reality, the many old folks there go along very well with the many younger ones.

I haven't noticed any decline over the years, still good service and maintenance of their excellent facilities, which is very rare in a gay establishment. 

Then you're obviously not paying attention or spending too much of your time in the dark of the Garden of Earthly Delights. 

Babylon is only bashed by some ignorant who think THAT OLD AGE IS CONTAGIOUS, haha.

But it seems to have done so in your case, Stevie.

Then you're obviously not paying attention or spending too much of your time in the dark of the Garden of Earthly Delights. 

But it seems to have done so in your case, Stevie.

I spend little time at Babylon's dark areas. I don't like to be assaulted...  My routine there is a little different:

- Wake up in the morning, shave and bath in the common area and greet some guys I know.

- Have the buffet breakfast for 1+ hours while chatting with fellow guests. Many nice older guys, some alone, some with their young bf-s.

- Go to the sauna to use the gym for 40 minutes, then have lunch at their restaurant on the upper level.

- Go back to my room to have a siesta.

- Go back to the sauna around 4 PM to lay at the pool, cruise around.  Thereafter, have dinner at the other restaurant there.

- Go back to my room to get ready and leave for the fun event of the evening. Return around midnight, and go to bed.

You think that OLD AGE has spread to me there?  My birth certificate tells me that I'm approaching the start of old age.  But my body hasn't seen the certificate and has not undertaken any significant change to comply with that.  So I don't pay any attention, hoping that my body may never become aware of that... 

I spend little time at Babylon's dark areas. I don't like to be assaulted...

Don't think you have anything to worry about on that count. All the other older gents are perfect gentlemen like yourself, I'm sure.

Otherwise, you seem to have settled into a comfortable routine, and I agree that keeping the birth certificate private is a good idea on your part.