Guest BennyTan

Michelin star

Guest BennyTan

Saw that Michelin start grading Bangkok restaurants. 

Are the Bangkok Michelin Starred restaurants  worth paying the extras for? What would be a better local food guide that is value for money?

Are the Bangkok Michelin Starred restaurants  worth paying the extras for?

depends on what type of food you are looking for - very few of them are actually Thai restaurants

in the food press there have been mixed reviews for the one "street food" place's signature 800 Bht fried omelettes and 500 Bht fried noodle dishes that you typically wait 2-3 hours for on the footpath to then "enjoy" on a rickety table in a non-air conditioned shophouse, but you do get to watch the chef in action in her signature ski goggles to protect her eyes from splashes from all the woks full of boiling oil - unfortunately no such protection is provided for your hardening arteries

bkkguy

Saw that Michelin start grading Bangkok restaurants. 

Are the Bangkok Michelin Starred restaurants  worth paying the extras for? What would be a better local food guide that is value for money?

if you hungry almost any restaurant will do, Michelin or not.

If you are not but want to impress yourself or others or just splash on food to feel good , go with Michelin or other  ratings.

If on your way you will spot grey-haired farang breakfasting in Foodland Patpong  with hunky boy in late 20-ties or munching on chicken with cashew nuts at Oasis , Suriwong with even older but hunkier boy, that farang  will be me.

Two farangs , young and skinny  and old but still presentable,  sharing two pizzas while being eavesdropped by the waitress at Madrid Tavern  will be ChristianPFC and me.  

OK I know I am a boring old fart, and I'm in a different place to the majority of members.

I'm 70 and have been with my partner for nine years and neither of us play away (although I drool at the boy next door type photos)

We live in Isaan and on our infrequent visits to Bangkok or Pattaya we get a lot of enjoyment eating good food in nice surroundings.

The restaurant has got to have a nice vibe, we don't like stuffy places.

We do sometimes pay as a couple includiing wine 5000/5500 baht, Cafe Des Amis in Pattaya is a particular favourite.

If you compare this with a long time off and the attendant expenses and a few drinks and inexpensive eating I guess there is not a great deal of difference.

In addition my 35 yo partner scrubs up remarkably well and always makes me feel incredibly proud to be out with him.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody - we will be spending it in Chiang Mai, Pai and Chiang Rai

in the food press there have been mixed reviews for the one "street food" place's signature 800 Bht fried omelettes and 500 Bht fried noodle dishes that you typically wait 2-3 hours for on the footpath to then "enjoy" on a rickety table in a non-air conditioned shophouse, but you do get to watch the chef in action in her signature ski goggles to protect her eyes from splashes from all the woks full of boiling oil - unfortunately no such protection is provided for your hardening arteries

Indeed, no protection for your hardening arteries!  800 bht, 500 bht for the doings of some hot cheap oil on human food, resulting in promotions of the medical industry that are worth millions.

OK I know I am a boring old fart, and I'm in a different place to the majority of members.

I'm 70 and have been with my partner for nine years and neither of us play away (although I drool at the boy next door type photos)

70 is too young to be "a boring old fart", but it's the right age to have a 35 y.o. partner.

I am a nearly 75 with a 52 y.o. partner of 20 years, but I'm far from being "a boring old fart", (although some people here find me boring, but that is their issue)

Keep up that good life!