reader

The White Party

It is hard to tell. 50 is the new 40 :)

But in general, there are no written rules for that as I see men over 50 feeling comfortable in these kinda parties and men below 30 feeling uncomfortable. I think it mostly depends on yourself. If you know that you enjoy circuit parties, then this one should not feel any differant. If you tend to feel uncomfortable then expect the same... You can always try :)

If I have to guess most of the crowd will be 20 to 45 yo. But also for me, this is the first circuit party in Asia so maybe others will have more info.

But in general, there are no written rules for that as I see men over 50 feeling comfortable in these kinda parties and men below 30 feeling uncomfortable. I think it mostly depends on yourself. If you know that you enjoy circuit parties, then this one should not feel any differant. If you tend to feel uncomfortable then expect the same... You can always try :)

If I have to guess most of the crowd will be 20 to 45 yo. But also for me, this is the first circuit party in Asia so maybe others will have more info.

+1

Another thought is you could bring a bar guy with you - sort of instant comfort factor and human shield.  I think a lot of them would like to go but the parties are far too expensive for them.   

Another thought is you could bring a bar guy with you - sort of instant comfort factor and human shield.  I think a lot of them would like to go but the parties are far too expensive for them.   

Would he be comfortable at a circuit party?  Would his John feel comfortable with other guys flirting with him (the bar-boy)?  Would his John be constantly watching over him and protecting his proprietary interests, temporary as they may be?  Fine if you want to treat a bar-boy to a circuit party but as it's a treat, the bar-boy should have no other responsibility than to have fun.  If you want him to be your "comfort factor" and "human shield", than hire him and tell him what his responsibilities are.  Remember that he's going to be new to circuit parties and probably be as much an outsider as you are.

I was at the White Party last year, with numazu in fact. While it was all good and fun, I wasn't really surprised to realize it wasn't really my thing.

While I do like to party and have partied quite a lot and sometimes very heavily in the past 20 years and therefore never feel out of place at a party (unless it were a hip hop party, where I would die from the music lol), I kinda DID feel out of place at the White Party. But not for age reasons, but for being a farang lol. My rough guesstimate was there were probably 60-70% Chinese, 20% Thai, 10% other Asian nationalities, and a maximum of 5% farang. 

Another major reason was the music, I just don't like all that EDM crap, I'm into "real" (so to speak) Techno music which I've become ever more picky about over the years. That's a matter of taste of course, and I can see people having lots of fun with the music there, it is very danceable after alll.

Another annoyance were the Chinese (many of them fat and out of shape, it's not like 100% of guys there are muscle gods lol) who liked to dance linked up to, for lack of a better expression, "trains" of 5, 6 7 guys and swaying heavily right and left. Couldn't dance in peace with such a "train" nearby - problem as finding a spot without one near, very difficult.

So I decided not to go this year, though I was asked to. You have fun and please do report how everything was!!

While I do like to party and have partied quite a lot and sometimes very heavily in the past 20 years and therefore never feel out of place at a party (unless it were a hip hop party, where I would die from the music lol), I kinda DID feel out of place at the White Party. But not for age reasons, but for being a farang lol. My rough guesstimate was there were probably 60-70% Chinese, 20% Thai, 10% other Asian nationalities, and a maximum of 5% farang. 

Another major reason was the music, I just don't like all that EDM crap, I'm into "real" (so to speak) Techno music which I've become ever more picky about over the years. That's a matter of taste of course, and I can see people having lots of fun with the music there, it is very danceable after alll.

I felt out of place at parties as a young person, but not since my 50s.  Today I can feel at ease in any party, dance all night since I stay sober, and recover quickly the next morning.  I am also a farang, and I don't mind if I am a 0.1% minority among 99.9% Asians. I love Asians, especially when they speak English... I always carry ear plugs for the sound (my definition of music is the classical, although I am amused and tickled by other musics).  I program my mind to be in the mood of fun, and I have fun.

I'm over 50. Will I feel conpletely out of place? Be honest...

I am also over 50. We can refuse to let this fact influence us. Many people in these parties come in a group, and if they were alone they would feel terrible.  If we go in a group, then the group is all what we need to care for, and the rest of the world is irrelevant, except for the eye candy we may see all around us.  As a senior tourist I am mostly by myself, but I don't let this intimidate me like it did as a young person. With good feelings about others and having nothing to lose we can approach other persons if there are no language barriers, and engage in casual conversation.  There is no need to walk out of a party with a potential boyfriend. A few hours of fun is sufficient, and this is something WE can make for ourselves, and others.

But if you find circuit parties, white, blue, yellow or other color parties silly, waste of time, and not worth the money paid for them, this is fine too.