GoldMember

Planning Apr 19 - A different kind of trip

So, it has been too long. 

After my last trip for  last year's White Party, I decided that Songkran 19 will be my next trip to BKK. And as time went by, the chances of me traveling on that occasion declined due to my over traveling solo to other destinations. 

But, I miss my favorite city. Desperate times called for desperate measures: Family trip. My husband has never been to BKK and has only heard about it from me. I decided to convince my husband and his family that Passover  will be way better this year if we spend it in the land of smiles. I am talking about April 2019 but after Songkran. I am well aware that this trip will be totally different than my previous ones. But, I prefer a trip than no trip. 

We are a group of 3 rooms: our room (me, hubby, 2yo daughter), his parents, his 2 siblings (adults).  

We travel together for a weekend in BKK and 4 nights in Krabi. After that my husband, myself and our daughter have a weekend alone in BKK. The rest of the gang splits to other destinations. 

Since this is my suggestion, I took the liberty to plan and book the entire trip for all of us. I need some help. 

1. We plan to fly from Bangkok to Krabi after spending a weekend in BKK. There are plenty of good flights departing both from DMK and BKK. Should I prefer one airport over the other? 

2. Hotel In Bangkok for the weekend we are all together - I need the best hotel 200USD a night can buy - and I want it to be close to the gay area so that when night falls, and grandma and grandpa kindly babysit our daughter - we can quickly be at the bars/Babylon/DJ station. If that hotel also has a kids club that would be even better. Any suggestions? I am thinking about Sofitel So. 

3. Hotel in Bangkok for the weekend it is just the 3 of us - I have a vision of taking a hotel with connecting rooms so that we have our own room and our daughter has her own separate, lockable room. This will allow us to host at night when she sleeps. Under no circumstance we will host if she is nearby and there is not a lock separating her from us. It has to be 5 stars but preferably 100 USD a night. Any suggestions? I am thinking about Le Meridien. 

4. Au pair - does anyone has any idea how to find a trustworthy women that will stay with us during the weekend we are just the 3 of us? I imagine us spending most of the daytime touring BKK with our daughter. But, doing that accompanied 24H with a nanny will be way better. Especially if she sleeps with our daughter in a room nearby. 

Feel free to answer all, any or none of my questions. Also, I would appreciate any idea or thought that would help me figure out how to max out this weird combination I am trying to do between a family trip and a fun sexy trip. If any one has any experience travelling to LOS with toddlers and is willing to share it - I will be more than grateful.

Cheers!  

5 star for $100/night will likely be a bit of a challenge.

The Crowne Plaza Lumpini is a nice place and you can't get a whole lot closer to the gay area. They offer babysitting service. It's not 5 star, but it's a perfectly nice, upscal-ish place.  https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/bangkok/bkkcp/hoteldetail/hotel-overview#

I have not been to the Sofitel, but have stayed at other Sofitel properties and they are always very nice. Maybe see if the Sukhothai has a good deal?

BKK is probably a quicker drive and easier to navigate. I read stories all the time about overcrowded and long waits at DMK.

You might want to try these questions (or some of them anyway) at Flyertalk.com which has great travel forums.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/

You're going to put a 2 yo in her own room????????

Krabi is certainly worth a visit and boat-trips to many beautiful islands- those which haven't yet been closed by the government- are enjoyable. But be aware of the crowds, predominantly young Chinese on my last two trips. Aonang has little going for it in the evenings other than restaurants...and those are not that good in my view So, for me, Krabi is sun , sea and sleep. Heaven help you if you hit a bad period of weather as we did a few years ago.

Air Asia offer amazing deals from Dom Muang airport. It is , of course, nowhere near as good a location as Swampy , nor are its facilities as good. But it's a lot better than it was a few years ago. Return flights at about 2500 bht if you book early.

Suggestions

Sofitel So is a lovely hotel but it is not right at the gay area. Great for Babylon but you still have to walk some way to get to Silom and even longer to get to Suriwong. There is an MRT station almost on the doorstep to get you to Silom. But by the time you get down to the platform, get your tickets, wait for a train and then get back up to street level, you will have lost close to 15 minutes, You are better walking.

The Sukhothai is a gorgeous hotel, very unlike the chain hotels and with probably the best pool and sun deck in the city. Very popular with richer gay guys from around Asia. Also easy to reach Babylon. But it too means a good walk to Silom and more to Suriwong. Also beware. Its fabulous buffet breakfast costs around US$36. With 6 of you, that's over $210 daily for starters! Only consider if you get a rate that includes breakfast.

Your idea of Le Meridien is ideal. Almost right bang in the middle of the action and it should come in around $150. 

I have stayed several times at The Crowne Plaza. Its an excellent 4 star choice. But in late April even agoda is charging around $170 a night. I cannot think of any 5 star hotel near that area which comes close to $100 a night. If you are prepared to look at one Skytrain stop away or a short 50 baht taxi ride, look at the Courtyard by Marriott off Rajadamri. Its also an excellent 4 star hotel and comes in at just under $100.

As for nannies, ask each hotel. I am sure they will know of reputable and reliable nanny service.

Flights to Krabi? BKK is easier to get to from the Silom/Suriwong area. If cash is not the primary concern, Bangkok Airways at BKK has its own lounge for all passengers regardless of cabin class. Its simple but provides seating and a calmer area to wait for the flight. The one concern you should have is traffic. If you are departing Bangkok in the morning, no problem with either airport because rush hour traffic is coming in to the city. On the return, the problem at DMK is mostly taxis. The queues tend to be long and a 30 minute wait is pretty usual. If you are flush, order a car from your hotel.

A week later, and everthing is booked :)

It's gonna look something like this:

3 night weekend in bangkok @ Lebua Club Tower. Not the best hotel for kidz but my in laws wanted that hotel since it is the hotel they saw on the movie The Hangover 2. 230 USD a night.

Flying to Krabi Wity Bangkok Airways from Suvernahbumi since you guys mentioned it is better then DMK. Same price 40USD per person.

4 nights at Dusit Thani Krabi. Supposed to be very kid friendly.

Again flight back to BKK 60 USD to Suvernahbumi.

3 night weekend just my husband, our daughter and myself. I really hope we'll get to have some fun at nights. I contacted several Au Pair services and hopefully we will be able to wonder off at nights.

Most difficult thing for me to decide was which hotel to choose when it is just the 3 of us. Since there is so much time till the trip, I decided not to decide and just booked 10 different options haha. They are all "Pay at Hotel" and full refund till April. If anyone has any thoughts about any of these options, it might help me to start and disqualify some options:

1. Regular room at Siam kampinski 225 USD a night. Very kid friendly hotel.

2. Regular room at Sofitel So 240 USD a night.

3. Regular room at Le Meridien 200 USD a night.

4. 2BR suite at Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 285 USD a night.

5. 2BR apartment at Oaks Sathorn. 203 USD a night.

6. 2BR apartment at Marriott Executive Apartments Sukhumvit Park. 250 USD. Not sure about the location. Supposed to be very kid friendly.

7. 2BR suite at Oriental Residence. 400 USD a night. Really beautiful suite but not sure it's worth it.

8. 2BR suite at Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri. 270 USD.

9. 2BR apartment at Ascott sathorn. 190 USD.

10. 2BR suite at Lancaster. 245 USD a night. Probably gonna cancel this cause they already told me that no locks for each bedroom.

Writing this list also serves me cause I need to remember which booking I made so I don't forget to cancel them in April. They are all from different sites.

Thanks guys!

1. Regular room at Siam kampinski 225 USD a night. Very kid friendly hotel.

2. Regular room at Sofitel So 240 USD a night.

3. Regular room at Le Meridien 200 USD a night.

4. 2BR suite at Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 285 USD a night.

5. 2BR apartment at Oaks Sathorn. 203 USD a night.

6. 2BR apartment at Marriott Executive Apartments Sukhumvit Park. 250 USD. Not sure about the location. Supposed to be very kid friendly.

7. 2BR suite at Oriental Residence. 400 USD a night. Really beautiful suite but not sure it's worth it.

8. 2BR suite at Grande Centre Point Hotel Ratchadamri. 270 USD.

9. 2BR apartment at Ascott sathorn. 190 USD.

10. 2BR suite at Lancaster. 245 USD a night. Probably gonna cancel this cause they already told me that no locks for each bedroom.

I am writing this very quickly off my phone

Kempinski- great location and of course well placed in Siam area but I find it stiff and not particularly child friendly, plus you have to trek a long way through Paragon mall to get to hotel exit. If your priority is fastest possible access to shops and restaurants maybe this is for you, and there is Sea World in Paragon to bring your child to.

I’d avoid anything in Sathorn area, limited BTS and always terrible non moving traffic so taxi drivers may sometimes refuse to take you.

Would recommend Le Meridien or Bangkok Marriott Suriwongse as that is right at the gay area, convenient transport links(for Le Meridien that is but I did a quick search and see there may not be an immediately close BTS at Marriott) etc. Friends have praised both hotels and I believe Marriott is very new so offering excellent value for money.

Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri is a good property and well located but recently always full of loud Chinese and other tourists, nice kid friendly pool but whether you will be able to use it without crowds. Restaurant is poor as is room service. Price has been steadily going up so not worth it as not on par with other five star properties you mentioned. I would still stay here when price is at a good level which to me is ~US$100-120 for regular room.

Sofitel So is overpriced at that rate