reader

Is Hong Kong safe?

From CNN Travel

Hong Kong (CNN) — Hong Kongers have been protesting for more than four months and demonstrations are becoming more violent and disruptive. The city's leaders have maintained Hong Kong is still open for business, but is it still safe to visit? 

The situation has changed significantly since June 9, when protest organizers estimated more than a million people took part in a peaceful march to oppose a bill that would have allowed Hong Kong to extradite suspected criminals to mainland China.

Recent protests have become less predictable and increasingly dangerous, fanning out around the city and springing up in places with little warning.

The recent decision by Hong Kong's leader, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, to use her emergency powers to ban face masks at public gatherings sparked the most violent and destructive gatherings to date. 

Police have twice used lethal force during recent clashes with protesters and on Sunday, police uncovered an explosive device they say was targeted at officers. 

If you're coming to the city, here's what you need to know.

Continues with pics and video:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/hong-kong-safe-to-visit-intl-hnk/index.html

I think there's an issue of safety...generally speaking I think it's safe for tourists if you pay attention and avoid the protest areas, tear gas, water cannons... But there's also the issue of inconvenience with the MTR being shutdown frequently to control the protesters, road blocks, vandalism, etc. While I agree the issues are bigger on weekends, there have been plenty of things going on throughout the week. I've been following the situation fairly closely.

I had been planning to spend next weekend in HK. But decided before leaving on my trip (I was in S. Korea for 10 days or so and am in Taiwan now) that the disruption at this time in HK meant I would have been stressed out and not really able to enjoy my time. So I am spending a few extra days in Taiwan instead. I think almost every gay in Asia is here for Pride. Today's parade route is almost ridiculously long. But it's warm so I'm sure there will be plenty of scantily clad guys out and about.