reader

What to know before booking flights

Even if the rules apply to the disease-infected zones, they don't speak of passengers from those countries. They speak of airlines operating flights from those zones. So, transit passengers transiting through Seoul or Hong Kong would be included. (I don;t suppose many would transit through Rome or Tehran.)

Mack.

6 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

Even if the rules apply to the disease-infected zones, they don't speak of passengers from those countries. They speak of airlines operating flights from those zones. So, transit passengers transiting through Seoul or Hong Kong would be included. (I don;t suppose many would transit through Rome or Tehran.)

Mack.

The rules are not being read as applying to "mere" transit folks.  https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm. Strongly encourage people who care to check IATA.  ("This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China)")

There are already reports of people flying Cathay who have visited HKG not getting past the check-in counter this morning because - obvs - no med certificate.  But they are "originating" in HKG.

U.S. person (for example) flying from JFK connecting to BKK via HKG not covered.  (Unless of course otherwise meet the criteria.  And unless and until the U.S. goes on the red-light list.)

Obviously can change any time.  

Cathay has tried to put the info in consistent format that's not quite as exhaustive as the IATA info.  Personally I find it easier to read, but probably not as quasi-authoritative as IATA.  https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/notice-regarding-travel-restrictions.html

There's an interesting sort of "Decameron"-like vibe to travel right now, but honestly I don't think anyone should travel unless they are prepared to get stuck along the way.

With limited availability of test kits makes this a particularly onerous requirement designed more for pols to cover their butts.

Those who support the “shaming” of those who choose to fly will be ecstatic.

in the end I believe that none of these strategies will have any significant effect in arresting the progression of the virus. It will run its course as corona viruses are historically prone to do. 

These actions’ will likely be more remembered for contributing to broad damage to economies across the globe, with no small help from the media that shouts the sky is falling 24/7.

I was waiting to see how this all unfolds over the past few weeks, but today i made the call to reschedule my trip, mostly due to the risk of quarantine because my flights transit Hong Kong.

Thankfully Cathay Pacific allow a free booking reschedule and i didn't pre-pay at Le Meridian so I have re-booked for June, hopefully things are a little more settled by then but I will have to wait for another year to see Songkran.

13 minutes ago, vaughn said:

I was waiting to see how this all unfolds over the past few weeks, but today i made the call to reschedule my trip, mostly due to the risk of quarantine because my flights transit Hong Kong.

Thankfully Cathay Pacific allow a free booking reschedule and i didn't pre-pay at Le Meridian so I have re-booked for June, hopefully things are a little more settled by then but I will have to wait for another year to see Songkran.

Probably the wise decision.  You've probably already checked - but just in case you did not, Buddhist Lent begins on June 7 (holiday on the 6th this year).  Bars might not be selling alcohol on the holy day and depending on who-knows-what, some bars may be closed.

From Bangkok Post 

Inbound arrivals face mandatory measures

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) plans to impose compulsory measures for all inbound arrivals, including notifying personal information and contact information such as mobile phone numbers and email addresses as part of steps to control the Covid-19 outbreak.

The measure will commence on Thursday and all personal information for inbound tourists will be kept in the system for 14 days after their arrival.

The information can be provided through immigration form TM8 or an application developed by the National Science and Technology Development Agency that can be downloaded from Thursday.

Foreign tourists can continue using their mobile SIM card for phone packages with roaming service, or buy a new SIM card at 49 baht with unlimited internet.

DES Minister Buddhipongse Punnakanta said the government will ask for cooperation from all inbound tourists to provide personal data and contact details on immigration forms or via the downloaded application.

Immigration officers will check the completeness of the personal data provided on the forms or the app before allowing travellers to pass the immigration counter.

"Please do not call this a tracking system because the state will track them only when critical situations arise, when they need to be monitored to handle the outbreak," said Mr Buddhipongse.

He said daily inbound arrivals average 70,000, comprising 20,000 Thais and 50,000 foreigners.

Inbound tourists who refuse to fill in the personal information will be prohibited from passing through immigration points, according to Section 12(7) of the immigration law.

Paiboon Amonpinyokeat, a cyber legal expert, said using mobile phone tracking is an effective measure and other countries like Singapore rely on the accuracy of GPS in smartphones and cell-site locations that can pinpoint locations precisely.

This measure does not violate privacy as it is in line with public health law because this is a serious epidemic and concerns public safety.

The gathered data can be analysed in the map and used for zoning.

It can be used to alert the DDC when quarantined people are not in their places or informed addresses, sending warnings to other people who might stay nearby.

The measure is also supported by Pawoot Pongvitayapanu, chief executive of Tarad.com, a local e-marketplace.

"The tracking history of the target's location can help officers pinpoint who is at risk of being infected if they are nearby those targets," said Mr Pawoot.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1875989/inbound-arrivals-face-mandatory-measures

44 minutes ago, DivineMadman said:

Probably the wise decision.  You've probably already checked - but just in case you did not, Buddhist Lent begins on June 7 (holiday on the 6th this year).  Bars might not be selling alcohol on the holy day and depending on who-knows-what, some bars may be closed.

I didn't know that, but it should be ok, i'll be sure to find some entertainment for a dry night :)

1 hour ago, reader said:

"The tracking history of the target's location can help officers pinpoint who is at risk of being infected if they are nearby those targets," said Mr Pawoot.

Now they will definitely know where u are and where u go while u are in thailand. 

26 minutes ago, spoon said:

Now they will definitely know where u are and where u go while u are in thailand. 

....only if you carry your phone with you.  (Or I suppose you could have two phones - one you register and another to have with you when you don't want to be tracked.). 

But probably the right thing to do is let the health professionals have the info on where you've been.  

Currently flying to Bangkok on April 15th JFK to BKK via AUH on Ehitad, so far no restrictions.  I did just read that Qatar Airlines has stopped flying into BKK.  UAE has banned their citizens from traveling to Thailand yet they still fly into Thailand.  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, reader said:

The information can be provided through immigration form TM8 or an application

They must mean TM6? 

TM8 is an entirely different form, used to apply for a re-entry permit, so completely unrelated to the current situation

21 hours ago, vaughn said:

21 hours ago, DivineMadman said:

The good news/bad news is that I mis-wrote the date.  Khao Phansaa is JULY 6.  Not June 6.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also on the possible good news/bad news front, there is a report that some in the government have floated the idea of pushing the official Songkran celebrations to that weekend.  https://www.khaosod.co.th/special-stories/news_3734014. (sorry the article is in Thai).

FYI - An update to the existing AOT Airports app allows you to fill out the T8 on the phone.  Available in the Apple U.S. Store and presumably elsewhere as well.

The article posted by Spoon above said that people could use the app or the T8.  Makes sense.  Presumably if you don't have a smart phone the paper form T8 will do.  At least that would seem to be the most likely outcome.  But it would certainly seem like a good idea to download the app before flying into Thailand.  

There's free wifi at BKK and DMK.

1716575558_ScreenShot2020-03-12at10_33_54AM.png.e1c629ad7ba6af2c3430566549bd9445.pngIMG_5133.thumb.png.49ac930ded4230d3d16cef7c655d2c2d.png

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383919

(Update) Beginning on Friday (March 13), visitors to Thailand from 18 countries will no longer be eligible for visas on arrival, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda announced on Thursday.

The measure, aimed at checking the spread of the Covid-19 virus, will remain in effect until September 30.

Anupong said visitors must apply for visas in their home countries and bring a certificate of sound health.

Visitors from hard-hit locales Italy, South Korea and Hong Kong also become ineligible for visa-free entry, he said.

The 18 countries are Bulgaria, Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and “China (including Taiwan)”.

A government panel made the call on Wednesday at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who is also heading the Covid-19 management centre.

Prayut and Anupong signed off on this Interior Ministry order on Thursday. 

However, Department of Consular Affairs' director-general Chatree Atchananant said earlier today that there would be no official announcement of the measure until the Cabinet considers it on March 17, before Anupong came out later to confirm that the measure would be implemented tomorrow (March 13). 

8 hours ago, gpfun69 said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383919

(Update) Beginning on Friday (March 13), visitors to Thailand from 18 countries will no longer be eligible for visas on arrival, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda announced on Thursday.

The 18 countries are Bulgaria, Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and “China (including Taiwan)”.

I'd like to know how they came up with that list.     Bulgaria has 23 cases.    Romania has 59.   Russia has 34.

Countries NOT on their list include Norway, with 782 cases, or 145 per million people.

I make it  0.2 cases per million people in Russia.

And they have missed several other European countries with over 1000 cases each.

Have I missed something ?     

Or are they absolutely barking mad with their choice of countries ?         

Well, if Trump can try to blame COVID-19 on immigrants and Europe, this sort of stuff can't be all that surprising either:

998374694_ScreenShot2020-03-13at7_16_30AM.thumb.png.fb900b6ef4335d64d4ae3dfcf6c7f7ce.png

One note about him - he's the guy who supposedly has political ambitions and got a lot of positive feedback from Thais after his previous rant about farang not wearing masks.  In the U.S. we would say he has a future at Fox News.