Bangkok -Mission Possible

Back home, it's often too damn cold or wet to get out much in the winter. Then add on covid restrictions at home.

So trading 2 weeks quarantine for freedom in a covid free country seemed like a good deal.  

However, whilst taking extreme care with tourists prepared to pay for it, Thailand has been allowing illegal immigration from all directions with no such controls.  Hence a covid outbreak.   Then despite it being at a WHOLESALE fish market, they didn't do the obvious and immediately shut the fish trade for 2 weeks.  So fish traders spread the infection far and wide. As far as I can see, they just waited for it to spread, then kicked the hospitality industry again.

So far restrictions haven't been significant and I see no reason to regret the decision. So far.

Who knows what might happen next week ?

OK, bars are closed, but I can get by with phone apps. Even had a massage today, although did have to leave via the back entrance.

We choose our own quarantine hotel.  There were over 100 of them, see link. 

https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

56 minutes ago, z909 said:

We choose our own quarantine hotel.  There were over 100 of them, see link. 

https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

Thanks for a great thread.

Seeing that Le Meridian is one of the quarantine hotels makes me very tempted, but being away for so long (two weeks quarantine plus then at least a month to compensate)  is just not practical for me.

I have booked a (fully refundable) trip for the second half of the year by which time I hope with vaccination and a day-of-departure Covid test I will be able to avoid quarantine. 

I got very good pricing on top hotels in Bangkok and a stunning beach-side villa, so Bangkok Guy and I will enjoy our reunion in style. 

They had recently increased the number of in quarantine tests to 3, which was very clearly to gather data to show if 10 day quarantine is sufficient.   10 days is an interesting improvement.

However, since the government failed with illegal migration and again failed by not shutting down the fish trade, they will now try to kid themselves that they need to be cautious in other areas (prediction).

They should continue to make rational data driven decisions.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:28 PM, z909 said:

Who knows what might happen next week ?

... or in the next hour or two!

This morning (Monday 4th), the BMA announced the closure of restaurants for dine-in after 7pm, effective tomorrow Tuesday 5th. That was overruled by Prayuth just a few hours later and changed into no dine-in after 9pm.  Chaotic? No, normal!! LOL

5 hours ago, anddy said:

... or in the next hour or two!

This morning (Monday 4th), the BMA announced the closure of restaurants for dine-in after 7pm, effective tomorrow Tuesday 5th. That was overruled by Prayuth just a few hours later and changed into no dine-in after 9pm.  Chaotic? No, normal!! LOL

that's good, it means one day we will wake up to a news that travel is opened to all vaccinated for example

I contacted the Khmer guy I met in December to see if he now has his passport back.   This might influence my choice of hotel when returning to Bangkok.  

He informs me he has his passport AND I could visit HIS hotel room.   With sub 500 baht hotel rooms, even the money boys are living it up.

Am assuming I would have to leave my passport in reception:).  

Then, when leaving, stand there whilst reception call the room and say "Hello sir, your old farang is here, is everything OK ?"   One could complete the effect by wearing some small white shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt that leaves some midriff exposed.

You will need to be careful you don't appear under-aged.

Yes, you are right about hotel rooms. P and a friend had a three day break in Jomtien. After finding one beachside hotel not up to  the high standard to which he has become accustomed , they moved to the place that P and I stay; the Agate. Less than 1000bht p n. Including breakfast.

March 1

Hot Male.  Some rather large muscular guys on stage.  Not quite my type, but I would have stopped for a drink, except the music volume was painful.  Told them why I was leaving.

Dreamboys.   One bloke in a dress getting ready to perform.   Not the kind of boy that I dream about. No reason to stop here.

Fresh boys was open, but having seen their reduced selection and the pushy mamasan a couple of days ago, I didn't venture inside.

Taiwan. Closed.  There is a sign outside and Google lens tells me it's an advert for a male receptionist.    That's a relief, as I'm sure Vinapu and other loyal customers would not want a female receptionist here.

Screwboys, Lucky Boys and Soi 4 Gogo bars closed.   Other soi 4 bars open.

Forgot to check Nature Boys.  Next boy likely to be from Grindr.

54 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I'd tolerate but yes,  male receptionist is much more welcomed , specially fit one

Au contraire, gender is unimportant for receptionists as their main job is to make change for my bill. As long as they can count accurately is all that matters. In fact an ugly/female receptionist will save me money from giving them extra tips, which means more budget for the actual specimens on stage. 

19 hours ago, z909 said:

March 1

Hot Male.  Some rather large muscular guys on stage.  Not quite my type, but I would have stopped for a drink, except the music volume was painful.  Told them why I was leaving.

Dreamboys.   One bloke in a dress getting ready to perform.   Not the kind of boy that I dream about. No reason to stop here.

Fresh boys was open, but having seen their reduced selection and the pushy mamasan a couple of days ago, I didn't venture inside.

Taiwan. Closed.  There is a sign outside and Google lens tells me it's an advert for a male receptionist.    That's a relief, as I'm sure Vinapu and other loyal customers would not want a female receptionist here.

Screwboys, Lucky Boys and Soi 4 Gogo bars closed.   Other soi 4 bars open.

Forgot to check Nature Boys.  Next boy likely to be from Grindr.

thanks for sharing this

Is those bars got sexy or big c show?

Wanna visit one of them on this weekend.

I walked past Dream Boys on the way home from Soi 4.  Two beer gut boys on stage.   Not the kind of lads I ever dream about.

The remainder of the boys seemed to be taking a break outside.  One would almost have been worthy of a closer look, had I not met a very handsome lad via the apps earlier in the evening.   Grindr and Hornet keep delivering !

Open:. Hot Male, Fresh Boys, Dream Boys and NatureBoysGoldenCock.

The remainder of the gogo bars appeared to be closed, although I did not go past Moonlight, I think I passed all the others.

10 hours ago, z909 said:

I walked past Dream Boys on the way home from Soi 4.  Two beer gut boys on stage.   Not the kind of lads I ever dream about.

The remainder of the boys seemed to be taking a break outside.  One would almost have been worthy of a closer look, had I not met a very handsome lad via the apps earlier in the evening.   Grindr and Hornet keep delivering !

Open:. Hot Male, Fresh Boys, Dream Boys and NatureBoysGoldenCock.

The remainder of the gogo bars appeared to be closed, although I did not go past Moonlight, I think I passed all the others.

What is the closing time for bars now?

2 hours ago, hank75 said:

What is the closing time for bars now?

I think it's 23:00, based on when I was asked for the check bin on Monday and I think 23:00 is the official cloing time for Orange zone provinces. However, I would be surprised if all bars close then.

Closure times are not an issue for me.   Visiting a bar from 22:00 to 24:00 is no better than visiting a bar from 21:00 to 23:00.  

7 hours ago, z909 said:

However, I would be surprised if all bars close then.

Correct. Technically they close, but you can still hang around if already there. Had that experience about a week ago at Hotmale beer bar. 

Also, G.O.D. is open, and the bouncer told me they are closing at 2am. $$ and ownership play an obvious role....