caeron

Rio and nearby sights: what's fun? What's boring?

So here's another question. I've been reading the guidebooks, but what are folks favorite sights in or near Rio? What's a fun time, what's a yawn? I'm really looking for any good ideas, not just traditional tourist things.

I'm currently booked for about 10 days in Rio. Should I consider jumping on a plane and going somewhere else for a day or two? (My round the world trip is all frequent flier miles, so am doing some side trips on my own in other places already).

Ok Hang gliding wouldn't have been on my list, but I think I'm now interested.

Riobard pointed out to me kindly in a note that I should probably clarify my interests. While I'm open to all good ideas, I'm particularly interested in:

-History. I love old stuff, and learning how we all got to be where we are today. I recognize that Rio isn't Rome, so the long arc of history isn't the same, but still interested. Sometimes its the small histories of people and places that can really engage you.

-culture. I'm not really into watching martial arts, but enjoyed going to Muay Thai bouts in Bangkok because it was a very Thai thing. What are Rio/Brazil's cultural oddities (from an American's standpoint)?

-nature/scenery. I'm not one to sit in a blind all day waiting for an elusive jungle cat, but I do very much enjoy getting up close and personal with nature. Some books have suggested the hike up to sugarloaf is very doable, and that sounds like fun to me. In a bit more than the last year I've lost about 100 pounds, and been working out very regularly and am in pretty good shape. I wasn't planning to do much gym stuff while I was travelling, but hiking does sound very nice.

-I am not into shopping, BUT I am into people watching and wandering, so street markets, fairs, and places where the locals shop and you can see a bunch of interesting stuff, but don't want to purchase, IS something that I'd like.

As a side note, I will be in Rio from August 2nd to the 13th, so if anybody else is there and wants to get together for a meal, I'm game. 

• Members
53 minutes ago, caeron said:

culture. I'm not really into watching martial arts, but enjoyed going to Muay Thai bouts in Bangkok because it was a very Thai thing. What are Rio/Brazil's cultural oddities (from an American's standpoint)?

You might be interested in watching some Capoeira?

• Members

I am doing this fast ... forgive spelling ... a few recoomendations:

Hx: visitors often overlook the Republic Palace and gardens at Catete Metro.

Guys go to clube 117 but overlook 'our lady of glory on the hill' church (dated 1733?) minutes away. Take the 103step staircase up rather thannthe winding road. Stairs entrance just a few buildings up from Golden Park Hotel. Church not open much other than sunday but great view from the grounds. 

São Bento monastery, sunday morn mass interesting and packed, sung in Portuguese. Also manynold churches in centro.

Shop markets: Thurs and Sunday afternoon food markets also near Gloria Metro.

culture: well capoeira of course the martial arts/dance/acrobatics ... don't know where you will find it there.

Years back I had a local @ihpguy show me around the city from his perspective. It was fascinating as we went to an old Firehouse museum, some parks, and interesting churches.  I loved it all.  He doesn't post here anymore, but if you find a local that lives there and knows the area, it truly is a great way to see the city.  I have threads on these things as well with photos in this section.

8 hours ago, caeron said:

So here's another question. I've been reading the guidebooks, but what are folks favorite sights in or near Rio? What's a fun time, what's a yawn? I'm really looking for any good ideas, not just traditional tourist things.

I'm currently booked for about 10 days in Rio. Should I consider jumping on a plane and going somewhere else for a day or two? (My round the world trip is all frequent flier miles, so am doing some side trips on my own in other places already).

Depending on when you go to Rio...try a samba school practice...

Mangueira is one of my favorites but there are tons of others....loud music, tons of locals-HOOOOTTT eye candy and you learn a lot about Brazilian culture...

You may want to go with a local until you learn your way around Rio...

• Members
16 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Hiking: many options AYOR.

The trails up to Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf) and in the Tijuca forest are spectacular, containing the vestiges of the Mata Atlântica (Atlantic Forest) that occupied much of coastal Brazil prior to the arrival of the Europeans. But, as @Riobard cautions, I would not recommend hiking there by yourself.

Another spectacular hike that is less accessible but MUCH safer are the beaches of Barra, in the far western part of Barra da Tijuca. I've attached a couple of photos I took there in January 2018, when I visited five of the beaches on one sunny Saturday. You would need to hire a driver to take you out there and show you the various beaches but that may be a project for a subsequent trip to Rio de Janeiro.

PANO_20180128_105743.jpg

27173565_1754079854630265_6092432174504283670_o (2).jpg

i should be in Rio when you are there.  one of my friends owns 4 Muy Thai training cetersxin Rio and was a professional fighter so i can ask him if any professional fights are scheduled!

I second FloridaRob’s suggestion of Hang gliding! Incredible time and views!!

The 3-1/2 hour Tijunco Rainforest Jeep tour is worth, do morning tour from 9:00 to 12:30 rather then the Afternoon one which gets pretty hot, you are in a open air jeep!

• Members

Another cool -- and safe -- walk, especially if you are interested in history and in exploring Rio de Janeiro away from the beaches would be the following itinerary:

• Start in Centro (downtown) at the impressive Biblioteca Real (Royal Library).
  • Have a snack -- or one of the fabulous desserts -- or just stop by to admire the plethora of stained glass and mirrors at Confeiteria Colombo, an ornate gem that will transport you in time back to the 19th century.
  • Walk along the Enseada de Botafogo -- the bayshore pathway that takes you from Centro through Flamengo to the upscale bairro of Botafogo. Stop to admire the hunks working out at the bayside academia (gym) along the way.
  • End the tour at Botafogo Praia Shopping, where you must take the elevator all the way to the food court at the top of the mall to catch a spectacular view of Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf).

Enjoy Rio! The Cidade Maravilhosa has much to offer beyond the beaches that most tourists get to see.

IMG_20180103_153048 Biblioteca Real enormous library stacks (2).jpg

MVIMG_20180104_171205 (2).jpg

MVIMG_20180122_163415 (2).jpg

20180206_130124 (2).jpg

• Members

There are lots of guided hiking tours to the Pedra da Gávea
(Gull’s stone?) to choose from, from mild to extremely challenging.

G__vea.jpg

pgavea9.jpg

eZoFZBh572OzEWB5Q2GL1464656265_l.jpg

If you are not opposed to visiting religious sites, let not the nondescript exterior of the Glória church discourage you,
it conceals a spectacular treasure inside, and so close to Clube 117 (same subway stop).

igreja%20de%20nossa%20senhora%20da%20glo

img_1445_l.jpg

• Members

cover_l.jpg

Riobard suggesting O Mosteiro São Bento reminds me of the other mosteiro, the restaurant.  If you are there in Centro during the week and on lunch time, treat yourself to classy Portuguese dishes in an upscale setting at the Restaurante Mosteiro (http://restaurantemosteiro.com.br/) otherwise, have lunch in any one of the numerous chains of international class restaurants called Gula Gula (http://gulagula.com.br/cardapio/executivo)

confeitaria-colombo.jpg

or just take a leisurely snack or dessert in the historic Confeitaria Colombo (http://www.confeitariacolombo.com.br ).

• Members
3 hours ago, trencherman said:

... treat yourself to classy Portuguese dishes in an upscale setting at the Restaurante Mosteiro (http://restaurantemosteiro.com.br/) otherwise, have lunch in any one of the numerous chains of international class restaurants called Gula Gula (http://gulagula.com.br/cardapio/executivo)

confeitaria-colombo.jpg

... or just take a leisurely snack or dessert in the historic Confeitaria Colombo (http://www.confeitariacolombo.com.br ).

@trencherman: Thanks for the tips about Restaurante Mosteiro and Gula Gula. I had not heard of those before.

Is that your own photo of Confeitaria Colombo or a stock photo? I have never seen that emporium of sweet delicacies so empty! I have several images of the inside of the Confeitaria taken during late afternoon but they all contained identifiable people, so I uploaded only a photo of Colombo's impressive ceiling in my earlier post. Usually, there are lines out the door and down the block. The good thing is that, unlike the chaos one sometimes finds in many places in Brazil, Confeitaria Colombo is very organized. And the dining room is enormous. So, even if the line appears formidable, it actually moves very quickly. The brief wait is time well spent.

For those who have not visited Confeitaria Colombo previously, keep in mind that it has 3 or 4 locations, including one in the grounds of the Forte Copacabana, in Arpoador, near where @caeron is staying. But none of the other outlets can compare to the original, in Centro, in terms of both ornateness and sheer size.

• Members

Gauging from the government inflicted political and economic travails of Brazil during the last few years, the cultural programs sponsored by the cultural arm of the city and province of RJ would likely among the first to have been discontinued.  Free (or for nominal pittance) for lunchtime and evening concerts held in various cultural and historical venues all over the city.  The programs were eclectic and varied too, a lunchtime of Jobim can be followed the next day with an evening with Gerswin, and yet with music composed by Domenico Zipoli for the Jesuit missões of the 17th century, all staged in an apt venue such as the aforementioned Oteiro da Glória, Banco do Brasil, Palacio de  Itamaraty or de Glória , Quinta da Boa Vista, etc.  

DSC00706_l.jpg

My faves were the classical guitar concerts held high up in the  Museu Chácara do Céu in Santa Teresa.  One evening, I went to a free concert for gaita without knowing what a gaita meant.  Turned out to be an unforgettable evening of music for solo and harmonica ensemble.   Any one of these locations worth a detour (from the roads leading to the saunas) even without the special events.

@CaliPexx all pix I post are from the www.

• Members

Rio Times online, 3 views per day without subscription, for fairly comprehensive NightLife and Entertainment listings, has steered me towards some great low-cost or free classical music concerts. 

Theatro Municipal is back in full swing, check programacão, though I usually go to the box office for purchases as it is convenient and I do not yet have CPF for online.

• Members

And don't forget -- for those of us who are over a certain -- ahem -- age (60, in most cases), theatre tickets, including those to the spectacular Theatro Municipal previously mentioned, are half price. And admissions to many museums are free for idosos (seniors), including the one I mention below! These benefits are all part of a Brazilian law that provides recognition of people with disabilities, pregnant women, and seniors. Public transit in Rio de Janeiro is also free, with photo ID, for residents AND visitors over 65.

As a science and tech buff, one of my faves is the Museu do Amanhã (Museum of Tomorrow), a futuristic interactive museum that was built in conjunction with the Porto Maravilha development in preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympics, where they tore down (but also tunneled) a previously ugly view-blocking double decker freeway, similar to what San Francisco did with the Embarcadero Freeway, and reclaimed the area for pedestrians and visitors. As you might imagine, the Porto Maravilha is another superb place to take a stroll and to capture stunning views that are not often seen by most tourists in Rio.

Here's a link to a brief YouTube video about the Museu do Amanhã, narrated by a European student at one of the Portuguese language schools in Rio:

• Members

As mentioned by others- I'd suggest that you add Tijuca Rain Forest Jeep Tour, a visit to Rocinha Favela, Walking Tour from Marcelo Armstrong's company; he began this a few years back.  I went with one of his representatives with three or four others and felt relatively safe and at ease.  Do Lapa on a Friday night with local or with someone who speaks the language; take the "tram" to Santa Teresa and explore this barrio, beginning with the main street and venturing off.  ...did this three times, once with a guide and the other times alone.  ...enjoyed lunch at a restaurant which Samantha, a television traveler, touted.  ...great ambiance, good, light lunch.  Do a day tour of Petropolis; go to the Imperial Palace and to Crystal Museum. That's all that is there.  a helicopter ride; take from Botofago near a restaurant.  Lastly, I think you'd enjoy a show of music and dancing depicting the history of Rio and other areas in Brasil.  I've done this three times: stellar eye candy, fantastic music and dancing, three evenings that I'll always remember.  If you go with a tour company, eat dinner on your own instead of having it with company, and although going with a company-- you will NOT feel restricted or confined, and if my memory serves me correctly, my good friend and I did it on our own during my 3rd time.  We went into a travel company and purchased our tickets.  On our own we hailed a taxi (to and from) and had one hell of an enjoyable evening.

...haven't been back to Rio since the Olympics, but I'd check into the various venues that were constructed for this major event.  If the new art museum has finally opened which had been in the works since 2011 or one or two years later, visit it as well. 

Hope these suggestions help.