mvan1

For those who think that increased crime in Brazil is a fantasy

• Members

Mvan,

I never said I didn't think that crime rates have not increased. I have always viewed Brazil as more dangerous than Thailand and thus why I live in Asia.  I love both places. But, I have been robbed at gunpoint in Brazil 2 times and robbed by the police one time.  That is a total of three times.  Zero in USA.  Zero in Thailand.  It is not that I do not believe things are getting worse in Brazil.  I just think there are ways to mitigate the possibilities of something happening in Brazil and other places. 

2 minutes ago, firecat691614502759 said:

Does that mean you did not use any of those ways?:D

No, it just means that if I hadn't been using them, perhaps those 3 times would have been 30. I even knew a feller once who got into a taxi from Club 117 with a stranger and rode to a favela looking for his dream boy while his friends waited for his return or the notice of his death.  We all live and learn and I would not do many things in the present that I did in the past. That is not just in Brazil but in all the places I travel. :)

• Members
14 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Mvan,

I never said I didn't think that crime rates have not increased. I have always viewed Brazil as more dangerous than Thailand and thus why I live in Asia.  I love both places. But, I have been robbed at gunpoint in Brazil 2 times and robbed by the police one time.  That is a total of three times.  Zero in USA.  Zero in Thailand.  It is not that I do not believe things are getting worse in Brazil.  I just think there are ways to mitigate the possibilities of something happening in Brazil and other places. 

You have it right. 

It is propitious to attempt to mitigate possibilities of something bad happening in Brazil. 

However, as you wrote, "it is getting more difficult" in Brazil. 

Thus muggers are on the streets and often on drugs.  There is a shortage of police while the muggers are almost undetectable until they strike.    

Many of the suggestions in the Latin America section of your site are quite good. 

If only the travelers to Brazil would follow those recommendations. 

That is the key for a likely good crime free time in Brazil.  

• Members

The problem here is mvan's belief in the danger increasing, his own history of being attacked, yet he continues to visit Brazil. Why the effort to discourage others to visit when this history exists for him? If it's okay for mvan to visit Brazil, it is okay for any other savvy traveler. And I do believe that mvan is a savvy traveler.

• Members
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Why the effort to discourage others to visit when this history exists for him?

What!

Did you bother to read what I wrote.  

I repeatedly expressed caution to others while visiting Brazil.

I did not try to discourage others from visiting Brazil.

Read my response to Oz above!

I complimented him for having suggestions in the Latin America forum - 

Please think before you post inflammatory comments as you so often do with many other posters to this forum.  

Edited by mvan1

• Members
1 hour ago, floridarob said:

I've had incidents, many times, mostly my fault for being in places I shouldn't have been after midnight.

However, it is getting more dangerous, more boys telling stories how they are getting robbed, etc.... I don't go out to the clubs after the sauna anymore, not worth it.

You can still go out to clubs using Uber. But you should wait for Uber inside the establishments (saunas, restaurants, clubs), not wait on the street.

• Members
2 hours ago, floridarob said:

I've had incidents, many times, mostly my fault for being in places I shouldn't have been after midnight.

However, it is getting more dangerous, more boys telling stories how they are getting robbed, etc.... I don't go out to the clubs after the sauna anymore, not worth it.

You are a seasoned traveler to Brazil. 

You would have no reason to misinterpret or exaggerate the dangers that clearly have increased in Brazil over the past few years.  

One day, one of the Pollyannas on this forum will get mugged. 

When that happens, and it most likely will, those Pollyannas will get off their know-it-all perch and begin singing a different tune.  

Edited by mvan1

• Members

12 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I also didn't see mvan trying to discourage people from going to Brazil.  Like him, I had an incident in Brazil and it affected me but it did not stop me from traveling there. It just made me travel smarter. I think that is the key.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that he is repeatedly pointing out dangers, and when anyone suggests that they still feel safe, he starts in again. A person with no experience in Brazil could easily be dissuaded from visiting due to these posts. That's what I think.

But, mvan does say:

"Many of the suggestions in the Latin America section of your site are quite good. 

That is the key for a likely good crime free time in Brazil. "

Which is what I think the ones responding to him are saying.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that he is repeatedly pointing out dangers, and when anyone suggests that they still feel safe, he starts in again. A person with no experience in Brazil could easily be dissuaded from visiting due to these posts. That's what I think.

But, mvan does say:

"Many of the suggestions in the Latin America section of your site are quite good. 

That is the key for a likely good crime free time in Brazil. "

Which is what I think the ones responding to him are saying.

Th. Kittelsen: Troll

When are you going to write another letter (you have written many) saying goodbye to the forum only to return time and time again?

You always have something nasty to say about people here.  

Try being nice for a change.  You might find less people disliking you. 

Edited by mvan1