mvan1

How about a nice walk in Rio

• Members

This topic comes up repeatedly. Maybe it serves as a good reminder to be observant and careful in Rio. The only way to be sure that you will not get robbed in Rio is to stay home.

iphguy is an astute resident there, and if he can get robbed three times in one month, it serves to remind us to observe the precautions mentioned here repeatedly, and then still be prepared for danger. It's a risk of visiting Rio.

• Members
22 minutes ago, Lucky said:

This topic comes up repeatedly. Maybe it serves as a good reminder to be observant and careful in Rio. The only way to be sure that you will not get robbed in Rio is to stay home.

iphguy is an astute resident there, and if he can get robbed three times in one month, it serves to remind us to observe the precautions mentioned here repeatedly, and then still be prepared for danger. It's a risk of visiting Rio.

Agreed, but this also applies to all of the big cities in Brazil — Rio, São Paulo, Salvador, Recife, etc. 

• Members

T b@ihpguy?

I reviewed your previous posts from Oct 2018 on safety, they're not 3 months back, and you described an assault virtually identical to the one you just referenced from Feb 2019. After all, you mentioned your previous attempts to warn message board readers. 

Therefore, forgive me for being a tad incredulous. Assaults in general are believable, but did H Copa d'OR miss Dx of a concussion or something? 

In addition, might there be some particular aspect about you or the crimes context that make you more vulnerable to attacks?

Edited by Riobard
Splng

• Members
On 8/14/2019 at 3:20 PM, SolaceSoul said:

Don’t feel it’s just gringos (although gringos are certainly a bigger target). A brown-skinned muscled garoto I know Well was beaten, mugged and robbed leaving 117 a few months ago. His beaten face looked like Rocky at the end of the fight in the first movie in the photo he sent me.

Leaving 117 ? You mean in the Candido Mendes Street ? Or when he came back to his home ? 

I never considered - maybe wrongly - that the path from 117 to Gloria metro was risky, even around 10 pm. There are still a lot of people in the streets, in the shops which are still open, eating or drinking in the bars along the street, ...

• Members
5 minutes ago, pauleiro said:

Leaving 117 ? You mean in the Candido Mendes Street ? Or when he came back to his home ? 

I never considered - maybe wrongly - that the path from 117 to Gloria metro was risky, even around 10 pm. There are still a lot of people in the streets, in the shops which are still open, eating or drinking in the bars along the street, ...

Yes, it was 117. He was robbed leaving the sauna on a Saturday night. It was on Rua Candida Mendes, this past May. I don’t know how much clearer I need to be. 

• Members
48 minutes ago, Riobard said:

T b@ihpguy?

I reviewed your previous posts from Oct 2018 on safety, they're not 3 months back, and you described an assault virtually identical to the one you just referenced from Feb 2019. After all, you mentioned your previous attempts to warn message board readers. 

Therefore, forgive me for being a tad incredulous. Assaults in general are believable, but did H Copa d'OR miss Dx of a concussion or something? 

In addition, might there be some particular aspect about you or the crimes context that make you more vulnerable to attacks?

On October 4 of last year, @ihpguy DEFINITELY said this same story with the exact same set of facts happened to him on Sunday, September 30, 2018. 

So the exact same crime at the same location with the very same circumstances, perpetrator and witnesses occurred to him on September 30, 2018 AND in February 2019 (as well as two other muggings in February)?

I hate to agree with you, @Riobard, but that’s just an unbelievable coincidence. 

• Members

Always be prepared to quickly hand something of "apparent" value over to the assailant. If possible, if you have your wits about you, place it on the ground. If alone, he is not likely going to immediately leave it there and chase you. There are probably none of his felonious peers taking notes and planfully following and targetting you for next time. 

Don't quibble and stand on honour. The true "highway robbery" is having overpaid, by thousands of reais, the owner of these stairs for the privilege of burying one's face in the ratty dunghill scurvy sheath-cummy mattresses. 

IMG_2916.JPG

• Members
5 hours ago, Riobard said:

T b@ihpguy?

In addition, might there be some ,particular aspect about you or the crimes context that make you more vulnerable to attacks?

With respect this sort of reply was typical of the rubbish replies I encountered on the TripAdvisor forum when I described my own mugging. Making light, ridicule, questioning my credibility, it can happen anywhere, why don’t you stay home, did you return to Brazil for more, I was out and out liar, it was a busy area so it couldn’t happen etc etc My motivation and I believe ihpguy’s motivation is to alert others of the dangers and to assist in preventing it happening  to anyone else.

Edited by sydneyboy1

• Members
20 minutes ago, sydneyboy1 said:

With respect this sort of reply was typical of the rubbish replies I encountered on the TripAdvisor forum when I described my own mugging. Making light, ridicule, questioning my credibility, it can happen anywhere, why don’t you stay home, did you return to Brazil for more, I was out and out liar, it was a busy area so it couldn’t happen etc etc My motivation and I believe ihpguy’s motivation is to alert others of the dangers and to assist in preventing it happening  to anyone else.

Possibly, but none of this explains how the exact same crime with exact same circumstances, at the same location at the same time of day, the exact same items taken, the same kind of perpetrators, same witnesses, and the same taxi called to take him to the same hospital not nearby, happened to the same poster twice —- once on September 30 and the other in February of the next year.

Because in his own words, this is what ihpguy said happened in his own posts. He has even doubled down on it, in righteous indignation. Anyone can read the two posts and see that.

Can you explain away such odd, exact coincidences?

• Members
50 minutes ago, sydneyboy1 said:

So you also reported two identical muggings 5-6 months apart? It is important to track one's own stories. 

When calling someone out, it is sometimes customary to use a little sarcasm. 

And what, exactly, is the concrete advice that ihpguy provided? I glean two things: turn over your "fake watch", otherwise why wear one?; a backpack can be of interest to a pivete (which by the way in Bahia could be slang or colloquial for "buddy").

There have been ample suggestions here over the years for sensible vigilance and for mitigating the likelihood of robbery damage. 

Otherwise, he seems to suggest that his unique past experiences were predictive of breaking news that is repeated and imported here over the years. Methinks some hyperbole or confabulation was drawn on for effect in that regard. A single representation of a credible incident goes further than making like an amoeba en split. 

He is grousing about not heeding his warnings, but who exactly reported here an incident that reflected they somehow dismissed his testimonials? Generally, message board contributors have shared their own or hearsay bad experiences, put the stats in context globally, or reported being spared a mugging so far.

Edited by Riobard

• Members
3 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Possibly, but none of this explains how the exact same crime with exact same circumstances, at the same location at the same time of day, the exact same items taken, the same kind of perpetrators, same witnesses, and the same taxi called to take him to the same hospital not nearby, happened to the same poster twice —- once on September 30 and the other in February of the next year.

Given proof of the poster's double reporting of the same crime (over a five months span) leaves little incentive to believe anything the poster writes in the future or anything the poster has written in the past in these forums. 

In addition to double reporting of the same crime more than once (plus claiming two additional robberies in February of this year), the poster bragged about having lived in Brazil for ten years and knowing the local language.   Big deal!  Many of us know the language and many of us have visited Brazil over many years.  

The poster's boasting about his ten-year residency and boasting of a language proficiency leaves the impression the poster believes his knowledge is superior to any other long-term visitor to Brazil.    

I think credibility of the poster is non existent.  

Edited by mvan1

• Members
10 hours ago, Lucky said:

iphguy is an astute resident there,

and if he can get robbed three times in one month, it serves to remind us to observe the precautions mentioned here repeatedly, and then still be prepared for danger. It's a risk of visiting Rio.

•  

Astute?

Read the subsequent posts, there is serious doubt whether he was robbed three times in one month or at all in that month. 

Contradictions are a bitch when there is a paper trail to get you!

Edited by mvan1

On 8/12/2019 at 3:06 PM, mvan1 said:

Ill increase my gym workouts for my upcoming trips to Rio, continue to pay attention to my surroundings and Thank God I think with my big head versus the one between my legs...

While there is NO particular type of person who is targeted, Im pretty sure statistics will show who is most often targeted....Glad they don't look like me...

Stop looking like such a tourist!!

In touristy cities where you hear many stories of muggings, unfortunately it's generally because they have flip flops, shorts, a silly t-shirt, an SLR camera, a “fanny pack” and other such things that draw attention to them. Even if they wear less obvious clothing they may be walking around with an expensive looking smartphone, and I even had to insist that one of my Couchsurfers in Recife Brazil leave his Rolex watch in the house whenever he went out.

Great article for some of the guys who are easy targets....Read it, then reread it....

https://www.fluentin3months.com/theft/

On 8/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, ihpguy said:

This isn't news to me. I was assaulted three times in February. A tall younger Brazilian friend was visiting me in the center of São Paulo on a weekday at 11am, was assaulted and robbed. I posted a warning six months ago, and most of the members on this site made light of it. I gave up. It seemed no one wanted to take the advice of a gringo who has been living in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo permanently for the last ten years.

Thee times in ONE month...?  Why would somebody take advice from you??

Please tell me where you go so I can avoid those areas...

I have been all over the world and never had any issues...knock on wood...

What advice can you offer after living somewhere for 10 years when you were a victim 3 times in one month?  Serious question...

On 8/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, sydneyboy1 said:

Not being a subscriber I can’t read the full Rio on line report. Is there any way of downloading the report in its entirety? I was planning a December trip to Rio but I might opt for the relative peace and tranquillity of Thailand.

Please go to Thailand...Asian twinks don't compare to Cariocas and there will be more for ME....

On 8/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, SolaceSoul said:

I’m not discounting your experience, but 2005 was 14 years ago and 5 national elections ago. I started going to Brazil in 2009 and have been dozens of times since. Can we PLEASE keep this conversation to recent, relevant experiences? 

These old men LOVE talking about the good old days....at least keep it in a 10 yr time period...

18 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

I have returned to Brazil 8 times since older and wiser. I have a solitary motivation in telling my story which I did in detail on another thread. To do my best to ensure my experience does not happen to anyone else. I will now let the matter rest.

Just go to Thailand and call it a day....I get it, you still feel some type of way because of what happened to you...Let it go dear...

• Members
3 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

An Internet forum such as this is a magnificent way of communicating travel ideas and experiences. What a tragedy it is also a forum for Internet trolls to ventilate their venom.

“VENOM”? 

YOU are the one STILL posting about one crime incident that happened to you in Copacabana FOURTEEN YEARS AGO — as if you hold some grudge against the entire city for something that happened when many of the current garotos at saunas were only 7 or 8 years old. 

In 2014, my and my 3 friend’s ATM cards were cloned at a bank machine in Copacabana and $2300 was stolen from my account in one morning. That was 5 years ago, I’m over it. Actually, I was already over it the next month. 

You’re not warning posters of dangers in current dangers or instructing them how to remain safer in Rio. Nothing you’ve posted does either of those. You’re digging up your one crime story from the George W. Bush administration era in an attempt to tar and feather a city (and possibly country) for allowing it to happen to you. 

I have said in another post where you discussed this incident outside The Copacabana Palace, that you basically make yourself a huge target by walking around The Palace looking like a wife-eyed gringo tourist — that area is PRIME for tourist muggings! So, if you insist on telling your 14-yet old mugging story ad nauseum, the best advice you could add at the end is: “don’t stay there, don’t look like me, and don’t do what I did”! NOT, “blame it on Rio”!

And again, you got mugged on your first trip to Rio, and you still returned 8 more times since. You even Saigon this thread you’re planning yet another trip. THAT is the takeaway — that the draw of Rio (Brazil) usually wins over any of the more and less obvious risks and dangers (real or perceived).

• Members
9 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Stop looking like such a tourist!!

In touristy cities where you hear many stories of muggings, unfortunately it's generally because they have flip flops, shorts, a silly t-shirt, an SLR camera, a “fanny pack” and other such things that draw attention to them. Even if they wear less obvious clothing they may be walking around with an expensive looking smartphone, and I even had to insist that one of my Couchsurfers in Recife Brazil leave his Rolex watch in the house whenever he went out.

Great article for some of the guys who are easy targets....Read it, then reread it....

https://www.fluentin3months.com/theft/

I’m going to read this article in its entirety, but I did want to add a slight correction about flip-flops. Brasileiros and brasileiras LOVE their Havaianas.

E5105F4A-80F4-4CF8-B176-EB8B09C727C2.jpeg

• Members
4 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

An Internet forum such as this is a magnificent way of communicating travel ideas and experiences. What a tragedy it is also a forum for Internet trolls to ventilate their venom.

I have read your posts over several years.  Prior to the above-quoted post, I previously appreciated your level-headed statements.  

Did you not bother to read the evidence presented showing that the poster in question had reported the exact same mugging twice - once in October of last year and again in February of this year?

That double reporting of a mugging, with exact same facts, put the poster's other claim of two additional muggings in the same month in doubt.  

To add to the doubt of the alleged duplicate muggings at the beach, the poster did not present any details of the two additional muggings he claimed occurred in the same month; February of this year (three muggings in one month).     

Copies of the poster's own prior postings to this forum from last year were presented as proof the same mugging with exact same details were reported in October of last year and again in February of this year (plus two additional muggings in February that offered no details). 

How could you have ignored the above facts and copies of the posters prior reports and write your inappropriate comment implying that we were "venting venom" against the forum poster?

The tragedy (to use your chosen word) is that you responded to our posts without reading or acknowledging the facts.

You owe three of us an apology for your inappropriate attack.   

To my knowledge, no one on this forum ever wrote anything doubting your own street mugging that you reported as happening to you on Avenida Atlantica some years back. 

Edited by mvan1

• Members
13 minutes ago, mvan1 said:
To my knowledge, no one on this forum ever wrote anything doubting your own street mugging that you reported as happening to you on Avenida Atlantica some years back. 

You are right. No one questioned that the incident happened to sydneyboy. No one here even said that he did something to invite it or deserve it. My chief complaints are (1) his constant referral to an incident that occurred fourteen years ago is no longer timely and not very relevant to today, and (2) he says or does nothing to instruct others on how to prevent what happened to him happening to others in the future (and when others point out to him how the incident possibly could have been averted, he gets salty).