likeohmygod

Updated South America's fees + "The over/underpay question"

• Members

Before publishing what I believe is the most desired information (an updated list of the average going rates), I wanna write some consideration about the "Overpay/Underpay question" which every couple of months, pops up in this forum...this wants to be an advice to the newbies, but also a reminder to all of us who are visiting Brazil and SA from years.

Instead of asking the guys for a price, MAKE YOUR OFFER depending on how much you'd pay for that guy...it's not hard:

Pode ser "insert amount between 100 to 150 BRL" reais?

If the guy says yes to your offer...good...if not, DO NOT lowball him, do not waste their time while trying to close a deal with you that probably will never close. Accept his price, or let him look for another customer. When you're going to your lawyer (example), you're not going to try to lowball him, because of respect. You can ask for a price, but if there's no deal, then you go for his price, or you look for another lawyer.

That's a matter of respect against the guys.

A tip (monetary or else) will generally be appreciated as in every job of the world.

At the same time, you must know that the saunas have their own range of prices and remember that most of the guys are working in saunas because it's easy money.

As you don't pay the Uber driver, 300 reais for the ride from Galeao down to Ipanema (5 times the average), you should not pay the boys 700 reais for a programa.

That's a matter of respect and of coherence against all of the people who have shitty low-paid jobs (especially in Brazil, where the differences in my opinion are the most extreme in the whole South America) that don't have the bodies, and the mind to sell themselves.

Cause mankind appears to be such generous only when it has a cock or a pussy inside its own mouth.

September update

Brazilian saunas avg range (min-max): 100-150 BRL (80-200) (SP and RJ...cut 20 reais while in other cities).

Brazilian internet avg range (min-max): 250-350 BRL (200-400)

Colombian avg (min-max): 80k-120k COP (70k - 160k)

Dominican Republic avg (min-max): 2000 - 2800 DOP (1500 - 4000) (finders fees included,  i'd say drop 500 DOP from the avg ranges to get a net value)

• Members

But remember it is essential to approach all this commercially and to impose an upper limit price point on gratuities such as meals. There is a very precarious economic system at play and you do not want to be “that guy”, the one who is responsible for the BOVESPA crashing. 

I seem to be paying less and less over the years for the same thing. The rate oracles are well-intentioned but not alleviating my concerns about these inauspicious trends. Can it last? Will providers catch on that our home advantage deep pockets are accompanied by home advantage strengthening currencies? 

Is it so easy to be either a cheap arsehole or a generous arsehole? Now I am going to fret for days whether or how to stay exactly on the correct neutral line between these 2 opposing labels.