tassojunior

Carnival in Rio?

• Members

I have a chance to get almost free tix to Rio around Carnival and I'm wondering how safe it is, hotel availability, and if there is any interruption in the sauna scene. I go to Mardi Gras in NOLA usually and have never thought of getting to Carnival. I haven't been to Rio since Rogers Thermas days. 

Rio is still Rio...around Carnival, there are tons more people, crowds all around the city...

More crime because of more people....you should be extra careful...

Hotels and apartments are the highest rate of the year during Carnival...

Saunas tend to be packed with foreigners and boys come from all over Rio to work....standard rates are also higher based on the demand for the boy....

Mardi Gras and Carnival are not comparison....as far as size....Carnival is Rio kills NO with number of people visiting, events and price hikes....'

BUT if you get the chance to go for free...feel free to go and party with the hundreds of thousands of people who take over the city

Hope this helped...

• Members

Currently looking at Airbnb rates for that period and apartments that are usually btn 40 - 80 dollars are at least 250 dollars. if this increment in airbnb rates is directly proportional to hotel rates, which i am pretty sure it is, then you should probably prepare to pay way more than usual, just as @Badboy81 said.

• Members

Hotel rate increases are not nearly commensurate with Airbnb and similar  platform rate increases that are astronomical during Christmas-Réveillon and Carnival weeks. 

The hotel room inventory is about 10-fold the volume of Airbnb, swelled way above needs-as-usual as a result of construction for World Cup and Olympics, and does not nearly reach 100% occupancy for Carnival. 

The lovely 4-star hotel I obtained for friends coming to visit in Nov 2017 (I had my fave small apartment nearby) is going for 3,000 reais total for 7 nights Feb20-27, about 15-20% more than I paid for that low-season period two years ago. Adjusting for currency depreciation in my favour, closer to 25% more for a national. 

While Airbnb owners inflate their profits twice a year due to demand, hotels seem content with the bottom line of much higher occupancy during those periods.

I am sure you can find rate outliers with exorbitant increases, though, and you may need to be flexible about location. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members
13 hours ago, tassojunior said:

I checked a couple hotels and they are 4 times as much that weekend. hmmm

I am not seeing that trend on Booking.com, but a few 5* with rate increases higher than the handful of hotels I have used and that have modest increases. The important thing is that you know what you want and whether to commit. Good luck.

• Members
On 1/14/2020 at 4:03 AM, AlexThompson said:

Did you pull the trigger, @tassojunior?  I, too, am considering traveling to Rio for Carnival, however it would be my first trip.  Is there a preferred neighborhood one should stay in for the festivities?

I think much of Carnival in Rio is the Sambadrone parades. I've decided to take some of my Czech friends to Koln instead. Last year a bunch of us did New Orleans Mardi Gras. Too soon to repeat.

Generally in Rio there are nicer neighborhoods for sure than Copacabana but a US hotel on the (very safe) outstanding beach is a big plus. Ubers are extremely cheap and good. Further out beaches than Copacabana get cheaper and safer but add a LOT of travel time into the city. Riobard's suggested in city neighborhoods are great. Botofago is very beautiful upscale and safe with incredible views.

Edited by tassojunior

the same reasons I put in the other Thread, I bet

My experience of Rio during Carnival= triple expensive, triple potential danger, triple crowds, triple everything.

For someone that wants to see Carnival, I say go the week-10 days before and watch the practices, I hate crowds.

I feel the same for 2 days after Christmas until the first half of January in Rio......the 1st  3 weeks in Dec is heaven in Rio, as a consumer.