TotallyOz

New Apple IMac

• Members

I'd say it depends on the apps you depend on (Apple's apps will probably start with a leg-up on using the new hardware better), but that buying the final generation of proven hardware is probably a safer bet than the first generation of new and drastically different hardware.  

But if you're a life-long Apple guy you've faced this multiple times before...  680X0 to PowerPC, PowerPC to Intel, and now...  

I wonder about the prospect of mainstream applications being as fast or even bothering to support a vastly different architecture, but then they claim it emulates/etc...  

Overlooking all, there is an argument that in the IT-industrial-complex, each next-gen layer of the stack introduces entirely user-unneeded ‘advances’ that make the consumer needlessly invest more & more & more in every other layer simply to ‘stay current.’

It is parallel to the racket that Eisenhower warned of in military equipment design, production and procurement long ago.

• Members

Reviews of the M1 laptop and mini have been pretty stellar, main problem so far being lack of I/O.  Pretty substantial performance gains, of course first in Apple's own software but I haven't heard widespread complaints of incompatibility with software not yet updated.  And I think MS just updated Office. 

Pretty much the nail in the coffin of ever "owning" software again, but if you have an active subscription you'll have a substantial update soon.  

But, on the other hand, I haven't heard any announcement of a new iMac yet.  Still, at this point, I'd definitely wait.  

• Members
On 8/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, AdamSmith said:

Overlooking all, there is an argument that in the IT-industrial-complex, each next-gen layer of the stack introduces entirely user-unneeded ‘advances’ that make the consumer needlessly invest more & more & more in every other layer simply to ‘stay current.’

It is parallel to the racket that Eisenhower warned of in military equipment design, production and procurement long ago.

Much of the frenzy can be resisted.  I give TotallyOz credit for not upgrading frequently for the sake of updating.  He started this thread saying he got 5+ years out of his current machine.

I get 5+ years out of computers too.  And I don't find that the industry requires me to spend a lot with each round.  I use commodity PC hardware (to run Linux, not Windows) and I don't need to replace everything when I get a new computer.  I can usually re-use the cabinet, power supply, disk drives, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  PC hardware standards are actually fairly stable considering how much the industry changes.  I can't speak for the Apple situation, as I don't use their products.

Many things have gotten cheaper and simpler with time.  It used to be I'd need a new video card with each new CPU+motherboard but nowadays Intel CPUs have graphics built in that is more than adequate for my purposes; I don't buy video cards anymore.

• Members

I got my first computer, an Apple ][+, in 1980 and have upgraded - on average - every three years.  So that's about a dozen upgrades, and only the first one - from the ][+ to the first Mac in 1984 - was done out of a desire for something new and better.  All the other upgrades were because my hand was "forced".  And most of those were because something crapped out and I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars or wait a week to get my old computer back.

After all those upgrades since the first Mac, there wasn't a single time when the newer model was irresistible, nor was there a single time when I regretted getting a new model.  So, for me anyway, there really isn't such a thing as a "bad" decision.

I'm currently getting close to a "forced" decision, as the battery on my 2017 MacBook Pro is showing signs of fatigue.  I'm not looking forward to this transition, as I'll need to upgrade to the new Catalina operating system and leave behind a few favorite 32-bit applications.

Looking back at all those dozen computers, I'm struck by the fact that nearly every one of them cost right around two thousand dollars.  With my first Apple computer, I got an 8-bit processor running at 1MHz, 48kb of memory, and a 5 1/4" floppy drive which could hold 160kb of data.  My current MacBook Pro has a 64-bit processor running at 3.1GHz, 8gb of memory, and an SSD drive that can hold 500gb of data.  And both computers were around two grand.

Sorry for the trip down memory lane, OZ.  I guess where I'm ending up is that, if your experience is anything like mine, you won't have a terrible outcome with any decision you make.  And, if you do, you can probably bail yourself out for the price of a dinner at Mar-a-Lago.  :rolleyes:

YmY4kVaLhFrSwf1yxt4K5aixTc_bsYMmHu7-L0td

I started computing life with a Toshiba laptop, because that model was what everyone in the company used. When I changed companies, I had to switch to Apple and found them much easier. But the constant need for new models really pissed me off. So I gave up the updating to see how long my machines would work. My desktop has been on the go for 9 years and still works perfectly well. Yes, I copy everything important on to a hard drive - I gave up on the Cloud when suddenly my iPhone and iPad suddenly ended up with almost a thousand work email addresses(!) - and upgrade the operating systems etc. when advised by Apple. 

It's the batteries that piss me off. I bought one of the original iPod Touch gadgets, uploaded all my photos and a ton of music on to it. The photos have recently been uploaded to the iPad but the smaller gadget is perfect for plane journeys and travelling. I never saw any reason to change it - until I tried to get the battery replaced. "Don't make them any more!" I had the same response when I went to Sony about 6 years ago for a couple of new batteries for my 2007 camera. I was told I could find them in Singapore. When there a few weeks later I got the same response. Eventually in another country I found clones which work perfectly well. As for the iPod Touch, a small battery pack is I suppose only a minor inconvenience.

My first was an IBM. I never really went down the Apple track so I can't really speak to the product life cycle. Since before the new millennium I switched to Asus. They have served me well. My current workhorse is about to be put out to pasture - an Asus laptop I purchased in 2009. Windows Vista is no longer supported and most of the applications like the anti-virus package I use are no longer compatible. The replacement is already at home - got it in April last year when I was told to work from home. Needed something more capable. 

Along the same lines - whomever came up with the concept of a "mouse" deserves a Nobel prize.  Without it GUIs would not have taken off and we'd still be hitting the "tab" button to navigate our way through the day! :D

• Members

I used to be anti Mac until I got my first one. It is true the products are more expensive than PC competitors, but I am not sure wether they are less affordable in the long term. When I was a PC guy, I would need to buy a new computer every other year, or make major upgrades in the hardware in order to run updated OS with an acceptable speed. I had to spend lots of money on virus protection, I had to pay for a good technical support because I had problems all the time, I had to suffer system updates too often.

I bought a Macbook 6 years ago. It still works perfectly, I needed help only once and got it for free and efficiently in an apple store. The problem was not the laptop, but my ignorance of the OS after so many years waisted in PCs and Windows. The device just works perfectly and in perfect association with the other devices I went purchasing. I was so impressed with my Mac that I also switched to iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. 

I did buy a new computer, I just did it. I had not had a desktop in about 10 years, I was in need of treating myself with something nice, and bought the iMac 27'. I had a tech boner, this machine is amazing and was so easy to set up compared to my previous PC experiences! And Apple sold it to me with a teacher discount and 0% financing if I pay within one year. 

Definitely, if you go Mac you do not come back.

• Members

For me, it's a question of how much my time is worth.

When I was working, I used DOS and Windows computers but we had technicians to do the upgrades and data migration.  At home, I used Macs.  When it was time for a new computer, I plugged in a cable, answered three questions in the Migration Assistant, and waited a couple of hours to see everything transferred exactly where it belonged.  Last time, I got it to pull a backup from my Time Capsule.

These days, even without much dollar value on my time, I just don't want to spend it figuring out why something doesn't work, hanging on the phone with tech support, or downloading software drivers.  I have a friend who would sometimes spend days setting up a new Windows computer for her or her husband.  It seemed she never gave a second thought to other things she could be doing.

Don't get me wrong.  Apple isn't perfect.  My previous laptop, a 2013 MacBook Pro, had connectors for every conceivable peripheral device, an SD slot, and a built-in drive to read and write CD's and DVD's.  This 2017 version has four "lightning ports" and needs a separate adapter to hook up anything besides my iPhone.

On the plus side, this is the first computer I've had that responds instantly.  The spinning beachball is a thing of the past and the extra time in my day is much appreciated.  :rolleyes:

1.jpg

• Members
4 hours ago, iveryhotijake00 said:

I think MAC is overall the best operating system, I look forward to upgrading to an Apple processor MacBook myself.

Yes it is. They also display the best designs in their products. They not only work better and live longer, they are also prettier. Starting by even the packaging. Unpacking a Mac product is part of the pleasure to buy it. Everything have been carefully integrated to make it more comfortable and more beautiful. 

1 hour ago, BiBottomBoy said:

I think apple products are a cult

They certainly have me hooked when it comes to the iPhone.  I like the seamless integration with iTunes, ability to backup and upgrade to a new device without effort.

I don't have an iPad yet - I fear when I get one I will be unable to extricate myself! :rolleyes:

On 8/7/2020 at 1:03 AM, AdamSmith said:

I agree, up to a point.

A PC, phone or tablet is fast when purchased.    

The manufacturer then issues downgrades to progressively slow the machine down, so the user is eventually forced to buy a new machine.  [They describe the downgrades as "updates"]

In my experience, the phone/tablet makers, such as Samsung are the worst, as certain machines can become barely usable within 3 years.   I gather Apple did something similar, claiming it's to "prolong battery life", which is complete bullshit, since a decent phone comes with battery management software where the user can choose between performance or battery life.

I regard such activity as bordering on criminal and it ought to be illegal to sell a product, then sabotage it in this way.

Microsoft are somewhat better, as it's typically possible to counter slowing down a device by doing a "reinstall" of the OS, or more recently, taking a free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 and Windows 10 really is faster than 7.

Whereas, with my Android devices, I don't know where to get a reliable GENUINE google or Samsung OS to do a reinstall with.   Plenty of options from "unknown" sources, but as I do banking, broking and whatever else on the phone, I need to know where the OS comes from.  

I have learnt it is best to pay a little more for a faster phone or tablet, so that when the software downgrades are issued, it still works fast enough and lasts for longer.

Also, as it gets so much use, I will buy at least a mid-range PC.

Finally, why does no one do a decent 11" laptop ?       For me, a laptop is for traveling as I use a PC with a big screen at home.    So if it's for traveling, I want something small, & light, but fast, preferably with HDMI output.     11" should also fit into most hotel safes, including non-laptop safes.

The smallest laptop size seems to be 13", then below that, it's nasty convertible tablets.        I'd consider a Windows or iOS device & up to £1000, but no one seems to make such a product.