TotallyOz

Sad day for America

However, I did not see this going any other way. We knew the protests were going to get crazy. That is what happens when you get crazy people gathered together in a mob. They do even crazier things. Watching this and seeing this truly is sad. The photos of this will ruin the reputation of America for a generation. It guarantees that other countries will no longer look to us as a leader of democracy.

• Members
24 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

The photos of this will ruin the reputation of America for a generation.

I've become inured of political hyperbole. America's reputation supposedly died with the Vietnam War. Then George Bush killed it with the Iraq War. Remember the silly boycott of French Fries? And now Trump is killing it once again.

IMO, the world needs its America fantasy. That shining beacon on a hill. And all it takes is one great, democratic leadership for its reputation to be restored.

Former Army General Barry McMcCaffrey on NBC just now called for Trump to be removed from office. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now, since Trump, Cruz, and Hawley are being blamed for this insurrection. America's first coup attempt.

18 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

I've become inured of political hyperbole. America's reputation supposedly died with the Vietnam War. Then George Bush killed it with the Iraq War. Remember the silly boycott of French Fries? And now Trump is killing it once again.

IMO, the world needs its America fantasy. That shining beacon on a hill. And all it takes is one great, democratic leadership for its reputation to be restored.

Former Army General Barry McMcCaffrey on NBC just now called for Trump to be removed from office. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now, since Trump, Cruz, and Hawley are being blamed for this insurrection. America's first coup attempt.

Trump should be removed and the VP needs to invoke the 25th. It is very clear, he is not stable or worthy of the office. But, Pence does not want to anger those supporters.

10 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Do not worry about that. America's reputation has been an American fantasy for a long time. 

Depends on who you ask. So many still look to America to lead. Less so recently. But, who is left to lead? Which country should be leading? China? no Russia? no UK? no

New Zealand? ;) yes :)

• Members
2 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

the VP needs to invoke the 25th

CNN is reporting that congressional leaders on both sides are meeting to discuss this very subject. Word is, now that Pence has gone public about supporting Biden's win, and McConnell has gone public, too, this is the window to dump Trump once and for all.

Today's attack on the Capitol may be the stink that sticks to Trump. Everyone is blaming him and condemning the attack. I just can't see how Trump can recover from this. No one, and I mean no one, except Giuliani, is defending the attackers.

This very well could be the nail in Trump's coffin. Fingers and toes crossed.

• Members
6 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

However, I did not see this going any other way. We knew the protests were going to get crazy. That is what happens when you get crazy people gathered together in a mob. They do even crazier things. Watching this and seeing this truly is sad. The photos of this will ruin the reputation of America for a generation. It guarantees that other countries will no longer look to us as a leader of democracy.

The crack in our democratic reputation was at first visible when SCOTUS handed the presidency to Bush.  But yeah, the Trump presidency has accelerated the weakening in carrying out our principles of democracy, and then today it appeared the bottom sort of fell out.   

Huzzah for Repbulicans Mitch Romney and Adam Kinzinger for telling it like it is today.  They are a silver lining in a dark Republican cloud.

• Members

All is not sad. Yesterday, on the floor of the Senate, Josh Hawley improperly used the word "irregardless," which is not a word. And his ignorance is on the record. Go ahead and laugh at my grammar-nanny scold while I enjoy this non-sad moment. So many TV assholes are talking about Hawley's ELITE education, as if he gets a pass because he somehow managed to get his ass in the right schools. Josh Hawley wants to be president so bad, yesterday's blunder has revealed him to be just another fraud with a smile and a fist.

Reporter A.B. Stoddard mentioned Josh's stupid word snag on NBC news yesterday, and it gave me a fun laugh, because I screamed when I saw him "live" in my living room, making a public fool of himself.

And here in this next video, Nicolle Wallace, takes another stab at asshole Josh Hawley, whose career needs to end soon. Much to my surprise, this is one of the best interviews I've seen in the last week. Nicolle Wallace is the star journalist of our times. And who knew Seth Meyers could be such a serious thinker?

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members
13 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

Do not worry about that. America's reputation has been an American fantasy for a long time. 

I am American and I have been spending the Covid Quarantine here in Brazil since March. I can tell you that sometimes I feel embarrassed of telling people I am American. America unfortunately has lost almost all its respect all over the world. Sad. 

• Members

There is such a huge political shell game happening behind the scenes right now. While I want him gone... I am also cognizant of the fact that this would mean Vice President Pence will be elevated to the Presidency. This will open the door for a full and unequivocal pardon of Trump and his family members.

There is debate as to whether or not a self-pardon would be upheld, but there is no disagreement about whether a President's successor can pardon. This is part of why Nixon was persuaded to resign.

If Trump isn't removed via the 25th, or through impeachment.... I would not be surprised if he resigns a day or two before the inauguration in order to have Pence pardon him.

Silver lining... the federal executive can't pardon for STATE crimes!

• Members
40 minutes ago, cbusbearister said:

There is such a huge political shell game happening behind the scenes right now. While I want him gone... I am also cognizant of the fact that this would mean Vice President Pence will be elevated to the Presidency. This will open the door for a full and unequivocal pardon of Trump and his family members.

There is debate as to whether or not a self-pardon would be upheld, but there is no disagreement about whether a President's successor can pardon. This is part of why Nixon was persuaded to resign.

If Trump isn't removed via the 25th, or through impeachment.... I would not be surprised if he resigns a day or two before the inauguration in order to have Pence pardon him.

Silver lining... the federal executive can't pardon for STATE crimes!

What about new charges specifically related to inciting sedition this year? Could they not be laid following inauguration? Can Pence re-invent or Trump trump statutory limitations by, respectively, pardon or resignation? 

• Members
5 hours ago, grspga1614502765 said:

I am American and I have been spending the Covid Quarantine here in Brazil since March. I can tell you that sometimes I feel embarrassed of telling people I am American. America unfortunately has lost almost all its respect all over the world. Sad. 

Well, yes. But the point I am making is that American's reputation in the rest of the world, specially in South America, have been not great for many decades. Trump is just el tiro de gracia. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Riobard said:

What about new charges specifically related to inciting sedition this year? Could they not be laid following inauguration? Can Pence re-invent or Trump trump statutory limitations by, respectively, pardon or resignation? 

It would all depend on when the pardon takes place and what language is used. The president has the power to pardon using language like "Any and all crimes that may have been committed..." In which case it's like a giant eraser on everything that happened in the past. That was what the Nixon pardon looked like.

• Members

After all the shock and worry of yesterday, I was downright blissful when I woke up this morning.  Congress had done it's job, and Trump was blocked on Twitter.  Sadly they soon unblocked him, but for an hour or so I had this great preview of a time 14 or so days from now when I don't have to see or hear what latest catastrophe he's caused every single morning, and maybe our government can be less actively incompetent.  

Fully support the calls for Pence to invoke the 25th, but I know he doesn't have the balls.  Also, everybody with a spine quit their cabinet positions months or years ago...  Now even the rats are jumping (including McConnel's wife, so she won't have to actually do something of use to earn her fucking Presidential Medal of Freedom...).

So yeah, second impeachment.  Hopefully gets through the House ASAP... and then, I assume, dies in the Senate.  Again.  

• Members
2 hours ago, JKane said:

After all the shock and worry of yesterday, I was downright blissful when I woke up this morning.  Congress had done it's job, and Trump was blocked on Twitter...

I can't believe I'm about to praise Facebook..... but Facebook at least is keeping his ban in place. He is blocked "indefinitely" and they have promised they will not unblock him before Inauguration day.

Allegedly he is considering starting his own media network that will include social media. Though I'm waiting for him to announce he is going to be the chief spokesperson for Parler! And I'm sure all of his sycophants would flock to follow him there instead :rolleyes:

• Members

It is insane the lengths to which people will go to defend the seditious actions of the domestic terrorists that assaulted our Capitol on Wednesday! It takes some very strong delusion to believe this crap, or (if you're Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley.... just an unrelenting desire to be President at any and all costs...)!

We are hearing some legislators (who were themselves bunkered down as gun toting rioters were storming through their halls) that "they thought the building was open to the public, they didn't know they were trespassing" or "they were antifa, this is a hoax meant to denigrate Trump supporters." 

People who think the building is open to the public don't bludgeon a police officer to death with a fire extinguisher! (the officer died this morning; he had been on life support while waiting for his family to be present for his final moments).

If this was an antifa led hoax intended to denigrate Trump supporters, then bravo on accomplishing the deepest cover sting operation in history... they've been playing the long game! Many of the individuals in these pictures have been very active on social media for YEARS about their views and threats to violently overthrow the US Government. So if this whole time they have secretly been "antifa" operatives, then I am looking forward to the movie Spike Lee makes about them in a few years!

It is also insane to see how people are trying to distinguish the response to BLM protestors and this act of terrorism by saying that, in the prior instance, police had more time to prepare! There are photos of people at Trump Rallies weeks and months before this wearing t-shirts with slogans like "MAGA: CIVIL WAR - Jan 6, 2021." Parler, FourChan, Twitter, and Facebook have been populated for months with things like "I'll bring the guns, let's do this!" So anyone who says law enforcement was caught off guard or had more warning of prior protests is living in a fantasy world!