Midguy1

Restaurants in Pattaya & Jomtien

On 3/24/2021 at 7:44 AM, Londoner said:

Am I the only one who enjoys  Thai cuisine?  Has anyone tried the Thai up-market  restaurants in Terminus 21? unusual menus, elegantly served....considerably more expensive than run of the mill places....but worth it.

I'm always on the look out for good Thai restaurants in Pattaya. Somsakdi on Soi 1 is a very traditional Thai restaurant with a huge menu and generally very good food. For upmarket, I like the Avani hotel's Thai restaurant Sala Rim Nam - great setting in teak pavillions on lotus ponds. The set menus are good value and include dessert and coffee - if there are two of you, you can each have a different set menu and share everything Thai-style. The many German owned restaurants at the start of the Naklua Road just past the Dolphin roundabout, and in Naklua Soi 33, do the classic Thai dishes quite well, I particularly like Leckerle. If you're in need of western food the German set meals at these restaurants are great value, usually soup or salad, main, and desert or coffee for under 200B. In Jomtien, Surf Kitchen is a reliable and popular place for Thai food.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:44 PM, Londoner said:

Am I the only one who enjoys  Thai cuisine?  Has anyone tried the Thai up-market  restaurants in Terminus 21? unusual menus, elegantly served....considerably more expensive than run of the mill places....but worth it.

Bf likes Nara at T21. 

On 3/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, Ruthrieston said:

Sorry to tell you that Akvavit shut down many months ago and shows no sign of reopening (Jomtien beach road, yes?). My two favourites are Natan's, opposite Jomtien Complex, on the road down to the beach, and Au Bon Coin. My favourite Italian was Carpaccio, opposite Natan's, but sadly that closed a couple of months ago. 

Carpaccio has been replaced with an Indonesian restaurant called Trindy's.  Very popular when it first opened; good food, hope it's a success. 

As an aside, I'm surprised - and I hinted at this in an earlier post- that most of the recommended restaurants aren't Thai.  Is this a fair reflection of falang taste? For me, the prospect of Thai food- both the sophisticated  and that on offer at basic restaurants- is one of the things I look forward to most. And miss now!

9 hours ago, Londoner said:

For me, the prospect of Thai food- both the sophisticated  and that on offer at basic restaurants- is one of the things I look forward to most

I also eat mostly Thai food when in Thailand.

I sometimes cook some Thai food at home - mostly chicken in coconut milk.  Only problem is you can't find good fresh Thai basil here.

I am resident in rural Thailand, My partner cooks excellent Thai food but there are no restaurants serving "special occasion" western food.

When I visit Pattaya or Bangkok I make the most of the opportunity to eat in restaurants serving western foods and rarely eat Thai foods.

I would expect the majority of people visiting on holiday from their own countries would do the reverse.

Im not much of a foodie when travelling as i just eat at a place convenient for me and dont really like to travel far just for food hunting. Mainly due to my vacation is usually short (1-2 weeks maximum) But i always love to try new restaurants back home. Maybe my next trip, i can venture to several of the places mentioned here. I eat all kind of different type of cuisine as long as they taste good lol.

I can understand that. What I like about Thai food is that the simple dishes which I enjoy- such chicken with cashew nuts, or squid salad- don't require a huge amount of expertise to be tasty. I eat it only occasionally here in London and I suppose that its association with Thailand adds a certain lustre to it.

A bit like sex perhaps.....no, not really! "Occasionally" doesn't even  begin to describe that .