biguyby

Stuck in the UK

Well I suppose most holiday travellers are in the same boat as I am. 
I haven’t returned to Pattaya (my happy place) for 18 months now.

I have been watching some videos on YouTube and reading a few blogs and I have found it so sad to see how quiet and empty Pattaya is with so many closed business’s and empty hotels.

I can’t imagine how the people are coping without any work.

I have recently been tormenting myself with virtual tours on Google Maps and I just happened to take a trip down Soi 13, Thappraya Road and ended up at one of my favourite places Sansuk Hotel and Sauna. 
sad to say I zoomed in on the entrance door to read temporarily closed. Here are a couple of depressing screen shots.

Best wishes to anyone who knows me and I hope we can return to visiting Thailand safely soon.

96EDD247-8B40-4B7A-B2EA-485D16AA097E.jpeg

D9B66324-3FF7-4E6D-8F9D-AA6CB852229F.jpeg

It's been almost 2 years since my last trip to Thailand, I was planning a trip when everything went pear shaped with this horrid virus. 

It is sad living here in Pattaya now, when even before this latest serious flare up of the virus I was quite scared to walk around second road in the evenings, with so many businesses shut down and for rent/sale signs on so many buildings. Now I am staying home apart from shopping trips once or twice a week. Yesterday I went to Central Festival and while sitting on a bench sipping an iced lemon tea and reading my book, well away from anyone else, I had my facemask just hanging off one ear. Suddenly there was a handbell ringing in my face, and two young women in smart uniforms were challenging me, holding a handbell and showing a large sign explaining how to wear a mask properly. They walked around the building challenging anyone not wearing their mask properly, including those with it under their noses. Good for them! I had seen so many times farang especially, walking into the building through the checkpoints wearing a mask and as soon as they were inside they took the mask off completely. Won't be getting away with that now! 

With the extremely chaotic and slow roll out of the vaccine in Thailand it will be a long time before the borders can open again. With a death rate that held below 70 for over a year which is now over 500 people are scared more than ever.

Pleased to hear from you Biguyby - like you it’s now over a year since I’ve visited our favourite town and for me perhaps over two years since I was last at the Sansuck. I spent quite a few happy evenings round the pool sometimes on my own and sometimes with my latest boyfriend. It was a memorable gay venue.

17 hours ago, vinapu said:

one day we will dine at "Das Berliner " again, rest assured, perhpas even at end of this 2021 year !

Hello Vinapu, so good to hear from you, and yes, I hope we can have some nice schnitzel again when it's safe to do so.

And maybe do a little bar hopping, I am going to get hold of a lot of 100 baht notes and spend a nice evening slipping them into boys underpants (I am so missing doing that) lol 

All the best wishes my friend and I hope you are keeping well.

17 hours ago, spoon said:

Temporary closure doesnt mean it is out of business. Not sure how recent the pic of sansuk sauna is, but thailand have been having two recent covid outbreak that resulted in closure of businesses like sauna, bars, hotels and massage places.

The Google maps photos are dated 2021 so maybe not too recent.

I posted it just to reflect my sadness that it was closed. I suppose I'm being selfish really complaining about not being able to go on holiday as the whole world is in turmoil with this terrible pandemic. I personally know 3 people who have lost their lives with COVID-19.

15 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Pleased to hear from you Biguyby - like you it’s now over a year since I’ve visited our favourite town and for me perhaps over two years since I was last at the Sansuck. I spent quite a few happy evenings round the pool sometimes on my own and sometimes with my latest boyfriend. It was a memorable gay venue.

Hi Dave, good to hear from you, we will get back to our happy place one day hopefully. Best wishes biguyby.

18 hours ago, TMax said:

It's been almost 2 years since my last trip to Thailand, I was planning a trip when everything went pear shaped with this horrid virus. 

I should have been flying out of UK on the 25 March 2020 just a few days after the first UK lockdown.

16 hours ago, Ruthrieston said:

It is sad living here in Pattaya now, when even before this latest serious flare up of the virus I was quite scared to walk around second road in the evenings, with so many businesses shut down and for rent/sale signs on so many buildings. Now I am staying home apart from shopping trips once or twice a week. Yesterday I went to Central Festival and while sitting on a bench sipping an iced lemon tea and reading my book, well away from anyone else, I had my facemask just hanging off one ear. Suddenly there was a handbell ringing in my face, and two young women in smart uniforms were challenging me, holding a handbell and showing a large sign explaining how to wear a mask properly. They walked around the building challenging anyone not wearing their mask properly, including those with it under their noses. Good for them! I had seen so many times farang especially, walking into the building through the checkpoints wearing a mask and as soon as they were inside they took the mask off completely. Won't be getting away with that now! 

With the extremely chaotic and slow roll out of the vaccine in Thailand it will be a long time before the borders can open again. With a death rate that held below 70 for over a year which is now over 500 people are scared more than ever.

I can imagine it is quite scary to out and about at night time. I guess it could be dangerous if some people are really desperate and I understand that the crime rate could be increasing. 

I hope you stay safe and well and I hope the Thai people are not suffering too much. But I expect that is just my wishful thinking it must be horrible for them.

Thank you biguyby. Large numbers of the Thai workers fled Pattaya a long time ago, heading home to their families in the north east of Thailand mostly. Those who remain are really struggling, especially as it is now over a month since the bars closed down and now over two weeks since the restaurants and cafes were all forced to close as well. All we can do is be careful, stay at home and stay safe. The chaos and confusion over when the vaccine, whichever vaccine, might be available in the numbers needed continues.

I echo Ruthrieston's comments, although I live in Bangkok and not Pattaya. On Saturday I went to a friend's and we ordered in a very nice Italian dinner from a nearby restaurant. Soon after 9:00 pm I left for my apartment. In a district where taxis can usually be picked up until at least midnight, there was not one to be seen. I ended up walking much of the way home until I gave up when a motorcy suddenly appeared.

One of the best things to happen in Pattaya in recent times is the arrival of Bolt taxi. The app on the phone is great and the prices are amazing. I used to pay 100 Baht to get from my place in Pratumnak up to Central Festival, now I go in an airconditioned car for sixty baht! I feel guilty not using my regular motorbike taxi guys, but in the hot and humid May weather Bolt is just wonderful.