Londoner

Massages in Thailand

I'm a little diffident about posting this. I have no intention to pry, I am merely seeking information from our travellers and correspondents.

Here are two concerns  and I hope  not too personal.

When massages are given in BKK and Pattaya, are both masseur and customer expected to wear masks? Have the shops policies regarding this?

And secondly, do  the guys declare their vaccination status? again, do the shops (for example, the ones near Tarntawan Hotel, or those in the JC) have policies in place to ensure that the masseurs are vaccinated?

Finally, what do out fearless travellers feel about it?  I ask because, were I fortunate enough to be there in March as planned,  I must confess I'd be rather diffident about close contact with strangers. P and I have been talking about what changes to our routines- taxis and restaurants, for example-  may be required.  Both of us are medically vulnerable in different ways. 

There are a lot of businesses around declaring 100% vaccinated staff.   I'm fairly sure massage shops would be the same, but my priorities are checking for cute masseurs and going where I might get a good massage.  I think SHA compliant massage shops would be claiming 100% vaccinated staff.

Masseurs tend to wear masks.  Personally, I'm not bothered about this, as I assume I'm going to be exposed to COVID virus if he has it.  Which is low probability.  

I also expect to catch COVID several times during my life and getting the milder Omicron variant 3 weeks after a booster should not be too bad.  I understand and respect that some people may need to be more careful. 

Vaccines are already available for everyone who wants them.   So getting to 90% vaccinated by March actually requires the unvaccinated to want vaccines.  

On 1/1/2022 at 4:23 AM, Londoner said:

what do out fearless travellers feel about it?

I havent been to any other massage place yet except Sabaidee since its guys have been keeping me busy ever since after i was introduced to that place by my senior member here. though quite big and not easy to fill, i've been trying to follow his exact footsteps. on my first visit to Sabaidee, i felt a bit quite uncomfortable to put my face down on the pillow and sheets. Adding to this, the sheet appeared to be used already, soiled with oil. 

I exchanged contacts with the guy and also with mamasan. Since then I've been using outcall services only - not completely taking away the risks of infection, but at least i would trust hotel sheets than Sabaidee's. 

5 hours ago, 18past19 said:

I havent been to any other massage place yet except Sabaidee since its guys have been keeping me busy ever since after i was introduced to that place by my senior member here. though quite big and not easy to fill, i've been trying to follow his exact footsteps. on my first visit to Sabaidee, i felt a bit quite uncomfortable to put my face down on the pillow and sheets. Adding to this, the sheet appeared to be used already, soiled with oil. 

sounds like you had bad luck as I was there numerous times this trip and had no problems with sheets and pillows. Not to mention last thing crossing my mind was danger of infection.

But I agree hosting in own room brings more comfort and usually longer session.