reader

Mahanakhon Skywalk closed for renovation

From Coconuts Bangkok

KPMN-Glass-Tray-1440x810.jpg

Located on the 74th floor of the King Power Mahanakhon at 314 meters up, the Mahanakhon Skywalk will be closed tomorrow until April 11. It will open again at 10am on April 12. 

The nature of the renovations were not specified.

The skywalk has been popular among tourists and locals for its magnificent, panoramic 360-degree view of the capital. Coconuts was there when it opened, you can read our experience here.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/mahanakhon-skywalk-closed-for-renovation/

We visited about six months ago. I was a bit surprised that being over 60 I got in at a substantial reduction but I had to pay full price for my Thai partner! But he loved the experience.

Best to shop around as I see there are substantial discounts available on various websites. But one website is offering special prices for Valentine's Day!!! Maybe that gets you just a few postcards of the view!

On 2/9/2022 at 9:54 PM, reader said:

The nature of the renovations were not specified.

There are lots of businesses in Pattaya that have signs in the window, saying they are closed for renovation.   Or, at least that's what the Google lens translation says.

I see no renovation and the true reason for closure is usually a lack of customers, caused by government policy. 

Actually, it's not just Pattaya. A surprising number of businesses in Silom have also closed, including closures in the past 3 months.  

So I have no idea if Vinapu's favourite piece of glass will really receive renovation, or whether it's a euphemism for something else.

15 hours ago, z909 said:

So I have no idea if Vinapu's favourite piece of glass will really receive renovation, or whether it's a euphemism for something else.

considering how sparse were crowds there in Dec , supposed peak season it's quite possible they decided it's not worth being open for now.

On another hand those times are idea for bona fide renovations and disruption  and effect on bottom line is minimal

On 2/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, z909 said:

Apparently a hotel will open in the Mahanakhon Tower.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/announcement/41007610.html

The "renovations" have to do with the hotel, told me the cashier.

I seem to recall that there were a number of apartments in the building when it first opened. Are these being converted into luxury hotel rooms?

The observation deck occupies the full footprint of the building, plus the overhanging glass extension. Hopefully there's sufficient room to accommodate both the hotel's plans for a pool for guests and a bar/restaurant open to the public. It would be sad if the public didn't have access in some form.

12 minutes ago, reader said:

Hopefully there's sufficient room to accommodate both the hotel's plans for a pool for guests and a bar/restaurant open to the public. It would be sad if the public didn't have access in some form.

who pays the piper , calls the tune

Just what the hotel, and some of the rooftop deck, will look like when the renovations are complete have been released by the the owners and The Standard Hotel. Contrary to earlier reports, the pool will not be on the roof deck.

From Coconuts Bangkok

NxI7f-Ul6DRJCTmQ5NY2c7dE-g3MVN0js3lAY8j1

The hotel space inside King Power Mahanakhon has been somewhat of a mystery since the retail brand joined the project in 2018 and rebranded or flipped much of the assets inside, including a previous hotel scheduled to occupy the bottom third of the tower. 

Now, the brand has announced what will take its place: The Standard. The American hospitality brand already owns a successful property in Hua Hin — a 199-room airy low-rise building near the beach — but has said the new Mahanakhon property will be its flagship product in Asia. It certainly looks like one. 

If the pictures are anything to go by, the hotel’s surreal art deco interior looks like it was pulled from the set of a Hollywood movie, replete with all the bold, colorful outlines, curved shapes and zig-zaggy forms that defined the design movement in the 1920s and 30s. 

Crafted in part by Spanish artist and designer Jaime Hayon, who was listed by Wallpaper magazine as one of the top 100 most influential creators of the past decade, and the in-house design team at The Standard, which itself has won several interior design awards, the hotel’s bold color pallet, rounded accents, art installations and lush greenery combine to create an unquestionably unique-looking hotel among a domestic market that is saturated with them.

The Standard hotel portfolio has come to be known for its swanky poolside venues, and The Standard, Bangkok Mahanakhon is no slouch in that category either. Here, the pool sits on the west side of the building (nicely tucked inside one of those Lego-style depressions in the hotel’s facade) and faces Silom Road towards the river. It’s enclosed in plenty of green, too, so guests have the option of soaking up the shade or keeping out of the burning sun depending on the day.

Continues with photos

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/check-out-the-surreal-art-deco-interior-of-the-soon-to-open-the-standard-bangkok-mahanakhon/