bobtpa1614502761

Tourist visa

37 minutes ago, bobtpa1614502761 said:

How many times can a person from the US enter Thailand as a tourist in one year?  I've already made 2 trips so far in 2023 and would like to return next month for Pattaya Pride. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks 

All arrivals are by air.

You are coming as a tourist on a tourist visa or visa exempt (30 day)? I think you are not limited as to the number of visits. 

• Members

Having a round-trip air ticket confirming that you will be leaving the Kingdom within 30 days is a good thing to have if the Immigration officer gets curious.  Otherwise, I agree that there are no restrictions to a reasonablenumber of visits.

1 minute ago, reader said:

Someplace I read 180 days within any 365 day period is limit. But not sure if this is accurate.

That's not the case at all. That's the rule in Europe. There is no restrictions on number of air entries. I know someone who has been doing back to back visa exemptions for over a year. He is pushing his luck, and he knows it. 

So to address the OP's questions here goes:-

1. You didn't have a Tourist Visa. A Tourist Visa is applied for at a Thai Consulate or Embassy in your own country, or neighbouring SEA country before traveling to Thailand. These are 60 day tourist visas and take up a whole page in your passport. They usually cost in the range of $40 USD and require a butt load of paperwork. 

2. What you have had on your prior visits is a visa exemption stamp. Arriving by air, there is no limit on these. Land borders you are only permitted 2 per calendar year. Having said there is no limit, it doesn't mean you are entitled to one. If an immigration officer believes you are living in Thailand without a VISA, they can, an have turned people away and told them to go get a real VISA. It's rare but there are stories on Thai Visa. 

3. When arriving without a VISA, as you will be, the requirements are:-
- Proof of onward travel / return flight
- Proof of funds (20,000 baht in cash (USD-GBP-EURO also ok)
- Proof of accommodation, hotel booking is fine

I was questioned once, but when I provided my exit flight booking and a stack of 1000 baht notes I was stamped in. But I was told to get a real VISA as I won't get in next time.  

In your case I don't think you would have problems at all as you are clearly a tourist, all be it a regular one. 
See you at Pride in Jomtien Complex! 

Apart from the Covid era I've been doing at least 4 visa exempt entries a year for 12 years. Only once have I had vigorous questioning from an IO who assumed I was working but let me in. I have never worked in Thailand. Leave a gap of time, have a return ticket within the 30 days. I have never been asked to show the money required (20,000 baht equivalent) but I always have it.