Heba as-sa3udeya

Sri Lanka

Sure I did, in reference to Gomez House. Quiet area, nice rooms, clean and cosy. The host does anything to please his 

guests, almost to much for my needs, sometimes... Absolutely fabulous, give it a try.

Lots of boys on the beach, everything easy. I got picked up on the street by handsome biker  lol.🌽

I stayed at Dickman several years ago. Room was huge. It's a fairly low-key place and serves a mixed clientele. But I did have a "massage" with one of the guys on staff. It was fine for a basic sex massage. Overall it was quite laid back.

Sri Lanka is a beautiful place with very nice people. I've been twice and did trips around the island with a guide/driver. There's lots to see if you are interested in history and/or nature. Last time I was there was just as everything was getting shut down due to covid so I had to cut my trip short by a few days and race to the airport. 

I stayed at Gomez Place in 2018.  Lots of handsome young men hanging about, for you to engage for a massage.   Mr. Gomez himself told me the going rate ($20 at that time).

I had lots of fun in Sri Lanka, with guest house staff, tuktuk drivers, etc.  I’m considering going back there this coming winter, maybe as a side trip to a longer trip to India.   If anyone has been to Kerala I’d be interested in your observations and/or recommendations.  

Well, I wish I knew the answer to that question!   But in Sri Lanka it seems like they find you.   In Gomez Place it is quite overt, the young guys are there waiting for someone to hire them for a massage.  In other places, it’s just a matter of striking up a conversation.  Eventually it will lead to the inevitable questions like, “Are you travelling alone?” or “Are you married?”  After that it won’t take them long to let you know they are interested.   Maybe not explicitly, but with lots of smiles and eye contact.  That’s something I really liked about Sri Lankan men.

I think I stayed 3 nights at Gomez, just after I arrived in Sri Lanka, and another night before I flew out.   It is convenient because it is fairly close to the airport.  It’s a great place to relax after a long flight, and get settled in to a new time zone (especially since I flew in from Canada).  And I good introduction to Sri Lankan men….

While the hotel is lovely, there isn’t a lot to see in the town of Negombo itself.   You really should check out some other places such as Kandy, Galle, Sigiriya, Nnuwara Eliya, Adam’s Peak, etc.  Sri Lanka is a really beautiful country with lots of things to see and do (besides the men!)

On 9/5/2023 at 11:36 PM, Dogberry said:

Well, I wish I knew the answer to that question!   But in Sri Lanka it seems like they find you.   In Gomez Place it is quite overt, the young guys are there waiting for someone to hire them for a massage.  In other places, it’s just a matter of striking up a conversation.  Eventually it will lead to the inevitable questions like, “Are you travelling alone?” or “Are you married?”  After that it won’t take them long to let you know they are interested.   Maybe not explicitly, but with lots of smiles and eye contact.  That’s something I really liked about Sri Lankan men.

Ha! You will definitely get the questions about your marital status and whether you are traveling alone. I stayed at a nice little place near Anuradhapura that had very cute staff. One of them was quizzing me with those questions one day and I couldn't quite figure out if he was trying to tell me something. I thought he was adorable and would have definitely been interested in some hanky panky. But they probably have to be careful about fraternizing with the guests. I think the staff were all hospitality students getting experience.

It's a beautiful country and I see they are getting back on their feet after their economic meltdown.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Dogberry said:

Eventually it will lead to the inevitable questions like, “Are you travelling alone?” or “Are you married?”  

You shouldn't always believe that these questions are suggestive. They are simply very typical questions in many parts of Southeast Asia and the Pacific. And when they're asked of foreigners, it's not to elicit possible sexual opportunities! ☺️

Have you eaten?
Have you bathed?
Where did you just come from?
Are you married?
How many children do you have?

We, as foreigners, are asked these questions thousands of time -- with the first three asked even by close friends every time you see them (your response should always be "Yes" or "Over there" even if it's not true). It's just what they say as a general greeting. 

Only for the last two questions do they expect a real answer. 

In the West, we typically ask people where they grew up, where they went to school, and what kind of work they do. We always expect truthful responses.

Yeah, it's culture. 

I agree - we have to be careful that we don't misread the intention of others or let our desire for a sexual encounter read something into comments or behaviour which isn't there.

Speaking from experience, when people start studying a foreign language in Asia they seem to learn the same simple, basic questions which are used to start a conversation. Some people take offence at such personal questions, as we would never ask them of someone we had just met, but as Marc said, it's just a cultural difference.

BTW, I've never been asked "Have you bathed" - which is comforting!  Lol

I once badly misread the intentions of a handsome young guy in Myannmar. It was during their Songkran when young people do various acts of kindness towards older folk.

I was walking along the street next to a park when this guy came up to me, held my hand and started walking with me. He then put his arm around my waist. Instant hard-on.

I thought I could lead him into the park for a bit of fun among the bushes so I put my arm around his waist, snuggled up to him and attempted to guide him into the park. But he kept walking straight down the road until we came to a temple. He smiled, got onto a bus and off he went, without a word being spoken between us the whole time.

Turns out he was just gaining merit by helping an old guy - me - to walk along the street!

Actually, I've been to Bali more time that I can remember.

It's so close to Perth that friends and I would often fly up there for dinner, stay the night and fly home after lunch.

I've also enjoyed longer holidays where I met the guys on Kuta beach for some fun times - so much so that I bought a condo.

I speak Indonesian and really liked sitting on the beach chatting with the locals.

Yet in all that time, I've never been asked that question. Mind you, I did shower a lot every day so I'm sure I didn't stink like an Aussie backpacker.

These days I don't go to Bali - I much prefer Thailand. And Sri Lanka is on my radar.

59 minutes ago, a-447 said:

Actually, I've been to Bali more time that I can remember.

It's so close to Perth that friends and I would often fly up there for dinner, stay the night and fly home after lunch.

I've also enjoyed longer holidays where I met the guys on Kuta beach for some fun times - so much so that I bought a condo.

I speak Indonesian and really liked sitting on the beach chatting with the locals.

Yet in all that time, I've never been asked that question. Mind you, I did shower a lot every day so I'm sure I didn't stink like an Aussie backpacker.

These days I don't go to Bali - I much prefer Thailand. And Sri Lanka is on my radar.

That's because you weren't living in traditional Bali. And because they knew you were a part-time visitor. And maybe because "the guys on Kuta beach" weren't all Balinese. It's not a question typically asked in Jakarta or Java or Sumatra, where lots of Indonesian "expats" in Bali come from.

However, I can definitely assure you that Balinese people -- even in Kuta and Sanur -- will ask "Have you bathed yet?" (in either Balinese or Indonesian) in the late afternoons. 

As soon as I arrived in Bali for the first time, the hotel's Balinese cooks and houseboys knew I could speak Indonesian and Balinese and was going to be there for a period of years. Henceforth, I was invariably greeted with that question first thing in the morning as well as before dinner. 

Even today it's a standard greeting at the appropriate times. In Bali, I'm pretty sure that you've been asked both "Mau kemana?" and "Dari mana?" 😎

8 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Then you haven't been to Bali, where the locals typically bathe at least twice a day. 

I have written about this before but I have such happy memories of the ten visits (2 a year) made to Bali in the early 1980s. I remember being surprised - and not a little delighted - at seeing young men strip off around 5:00 pm and wash themselves while completely naked in the water spigot in the garden of my simple hotel. Once I was on a Garuda DC10 flying from Denpasar to Hong Kong. As the aircraft was pushed back and waiting to taxi on the the runway, a young man again stripped off and washed naked in the stream parallel to the taxiway!

10 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

The easiest answer is... What's the purpose of your visit to Sri Lanka?

Really just to discover a country that I have never been to. Not interested in intense sightseeing, but enjoying the experience which means restaurants, walks, seeing a few interested things without having a packed schedule, hopefully meet some cute local guys along the way and have drinks and see what happens. Basically an easy going itinerary without it being too long to get bored or feel uncomfortable, since the accommodation appears to be a little rustic. 

On 1/10/2024 at 10:55 AM, Pantherz said:

Really just to discover a country that I have never been to. Not interested in intense sightseeing, but enjoying the experience which means restaurants, walks, seeing a few interested things without having a packed schedule, hopefully meet some cute local guys along the way and have drinks and see what happens. Basically an easy going itinerary without it being too long to get bored or feel uncomfortable, since the accommodation appears to be a little rustic. 

any updates on Sri Lanka