reader

State Dept. warns US passport seekers

From CNBC

Long waits to receive new passports haven’t yet eased from earlier this year, as the U.S. Department of State works through a backlog of applications amid high demand for international travel.

While the State Department expects delays to shorten through the rest of 2023, travelers should continue to plan well ahead, a Department spokesperson said.

The Department’s message to U.S. citizens: Apply at least six months in advance of your planned travel or passport expiration date, the spokesperson said.

9 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Still people get caught by this!

you are spot on and at the perfect time. Yesterday one of my friends was almost denied boarding at JFK as passport is expiring at end of Oct. Fortunately he is   dual citizen and was carrying his other passport on him. Apparently when he was making booking website gave some sort of warning but he chose to ignore it (no surprise knowing him from Thatcher/ Reagan era )

47 minutes ago, vinapu said:

you are spot on and at the perfect time. Yesterday one of my friends was almost denied boarding at JFK as passport is expiring at end of Oct. Fortunately he is   dual citizen and was carrying his other passport on him. Apparently when he was making booking website gave some sort of warning but he chose to ignore it (no surprise knowing him from Thatcher/ Reagan era )

Presumably he had not checked in in advance. Because there I think almost all airlines require passport details. Get one detail wrong and you cannot change it or change to a new passport. Result - either denied boarding or need to purchase a new ticket.