PeterRS

Italy's Other Leaning Tower

We have all heard that the leaning of the Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilised back in 2008 when the publlic was told it would remain 'static' for another 200 years. This year marks the 850th year of the laying of its foundation stone.

But Italy has several other mediaeval towers, notably the 14 in San Gimignano south of Florence of which the tallest is 54 metres. Now there is another that has got the authorities worried about the rate of decline. Situated in the heart of Bologna in the Piazza di Porta Ravegnana are two tall towers, the 12th century 48 metre-high Garisenda Tower and its neighbour the 97 metre Asinelli Tower. As I saw on a visit 4 years ago they are magnificent. The tall one seems to be fine but the Piazza around them has just been closed for a few years as the smaller now requires attention. It slants at 4 degrees compared to Pisa's 3.9 degrees. The Tower was mentioned in Dante's Divine Comedy and Dickens' Pictures from Italy.

Italy2019_39.thumb.jpeg.5372c3d01bb9b8b8c59b2ba95864e9f9.jpeg

Italy2019_44.thumb.jpeg.2b9de6f6a7c10be405252d487ab70c1a.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/29/bologna-seals-off-leaning-tower-fears-tilting-too-far

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

We have all heard that the leaning of the Leaning Tower of Pisa was stabilised back in 2008 when the publlic was told it would remain 'static' for another 200 years. This year marks the 850th year of the laying of its foundation stone.

But Italy has several other mediaeval towers, notably the 14 in San Gimignano south of Florence of which the tallest is 54 metres. Now there is another that has got the authorities worried about the rate of decline. Situated in the heart of Bologna in the Piazza di Porta Ravegnana are two tall towers, the 12th century 48 metre-high Garisenda Tower and its neighbour the 97 metre Asinelli Tower. As I saw on a visit 4 years ago they are magnificent. The tall one seems to be fine but the Piazza around them has just been closed for a few years as the smaller now requires attention. It slants at 4 degrees compared to Pisa's 3.9 degrees. The Tower was mentioned in Dante's Divine Comedy and Dickens' Pictures from Italy.

Italy2019_39.thumb.jpeg.5372c3d01bb9b8b8c59b2ba95864e9f9.jpeg

Italy2019_44.thumb.jpeg.2b9de6f6a7c10be405252d487ab70c1a.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/29/bologna-seals-off-leaning-tower-fears-tilting-too-far

Interesting. I have been to San Gimignano, it is fabulous. Talking of leaning towers, didn't the Campanile in St Mark's Square in Venice collapse at the beginning of the 20th century?

10 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Yes, the Campanile collapsed in 1902  but I don't remember it clearly 😁

because you were at school when she collapsed

today is day of those mysterious coincidences for me. Hour or two before I checked forum I got some pictures from Bolonia from my friend visiting there  and then I see here  exactly the same towers she posted pics off  earlier

11 hours ago, PeterRS said:

also a couple of hours to take in the Basilica of San Francesco with its stunningly restored frescos of the master of the early Renaissance, Piero della Francesca.

Apologies, should have mentioned the Basilica is in Arezzo.

7 minutes ago, vinapu said:

because you were at school when she collapsed

And I was not nearly as interested in world affairs in those days!

There is a known belief among the students of the University of Bologna ( the oldest continuing one in the world). Never climb la torre degli Asinelli (the taller one) before an exam, as you will never be able to graduate. For the older crowd though, it's probably not recommended to climb as you might never be making it down. Even being from that region, I only been on top of the tower once, in high school and found it exhausting.