bucknaway

Working Remotely in Brazil

I've just landed a fully remote gig that lets me work from anywhere with a decent internet connection, including making calls to the USA. Now, I'm thinking of spending a month working from Brazil. Any of you legends done this before?

If so, spill the beans! What should I definitely do, what should I avoid, and what considerations should I keep in mind? And of course, share your experience if you've taken the plunge. Can't wait to hear your wisdom!

• Members
9 hours ago, bucknaway said:

I've just landed a fully remote gig that lets me work from anywhere with a decent internet connection, including making calls to the USA. Now, I'm thinking of spending a month working from Brazil. Any of you legends done this before?

If so, spill the beans! What should I definitely do, what should I avoid, and what considerations should I keep in mind? And of course, share your experience if you've taken the plunge. Can't wait to hear your wisdom!

Try to be in Rio in April!

I have done this from Brazil and had no issues. I was only allowed to stay 6 months per year but the Internet was find and the hotels were fine. I'd try a place like Porto Alegre just to save for expenses or maybe I just like it there. But, you should have little problem from Brazil.

However, Thailand is also very easy and they have a visa for nomads (I think) as to some other countries.

• Members

Congrats on that great opportunity!

My suggestion is that you consider varying your location, rather than confining yourself to only one place. Of course, I have serious commitment problems! 

You might, for example, spend a month or two in the far south, a month or two in the northeast, and divide the rest between SP and Rio.

To optimize the weather, compare the examples on factors down the page at this link:
https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/29679~30563~31123~30268/Comparison-of-the-Average-Weather-in-Porto-Alegre-Rio-de-Janeiro-Fortaleza-and-São-Paulo

• Members

OP indicates a month, one month (!), a duration matched, exceeded, and plunged into by most posters on this board that travel to Brazil irrespective of other obligations when there. Therefore, in what way does remote employment status uniquely enter into how to plan the playbook, other than structuring time and activity in a particular way and protecting company gear from out-calls?

Or just do this:

giphy.gif

Original poster said he has a job that allows him to work from anywhere. He said he would spend one month in Brazil. He did not say that the job was only for one month or that he could not do other things after that month. Many jobs are now being done remotely and thus what some offered suggestions and recommendations. We all love helping here!

• Members

I teleworked for one week from Rio, and had no issues with the wifi. I do agree that internet in Brazil can be unreliable, so I recommend before booking an airbnb, contacting the host to double check their internet is good.

Also, as now I am able to telework more and make my trips longer, I got a second phone. If you have access (I think you have to be US resident but I am unsure), I recommend GoogleFi. Last July, I was teleworking from Buenos Aires and the wifi was not good. GoogleFi hotspot was good enough for me to zoom and anything else.

• Members

Since the contingency of an eventual segue from a 1-month visit to longer durations is now included in the mix (what do I know? and how can I know your entry privileges in the absence of context?), not remote, I recommend deep-diving into the implications and relative merits of acquiring a consular visa versus the recently reinstated e-visa requirement. It may be worth pursuing a consular visa up front. If a foreign national that is subject to visa necessity and is granted the e-visa 5 or 10 years (these are linked irreversibly to passport), and if a consular visa is possibly later preferable in terms of privileges conferred (eg, visit durations etc), you may get more assiduously grilled if desiring to later supplant the e-visa with said consular visa. Throwing good money after bad may raise eyebrows. AFAIK, Americans in either visa category acquire 10 years, Australians and Canadians 5 years. Compare the number of annual days allowed, the start and endpoint number of days allowed per entry, and extension contingencies that may involve local federal police authorizations, etc. That said, there are likely far better candidates than me to weigh in on this aspect, based on their own experience. 

Otherwise, more sunblock?

• Members

Is there an issue with a tourist v. business visa? I've never paid attention to this. I remember some warning that any business transacted while on a tourist visa could be canceled or invalidated. I suppose no one would ever check your laptop or care, but just wondering if there are any repercussions to this type of remote working. 

• Members

The main distinction seems to be Visitor versus Temporary, with over a dozen subcategories across the two. In this case, the remote work seems feasible within several categories because not associated with a Brazilian institution. A central question would be length of stay per entry. The e-visa is Visitor category and mandatory but seems might be more limited in stay duration allowances and total annualized days allowed. Thus, choice of type may be worth exploring by the candidate depending on anticipated preferences that may emerge, covering a specific set of circumstances and bypassing the need to later transition between visa formats.