Keithambrose

Visit Siem Reap

Short comment on visit, so far. New airport mad, huge, empty, miles away.

SR seems busy but not packed. My favourite restaurant, Khmer Grill, is full by 7.30, but that's because it's good! Pub street has people, but, again, not packed. Plenty of space. As usual, a couple of bars deafening. 

First visit to Barcode, which was busy, packed in fact. Too many screaming queens for my liking, but still fun, drinks cheap. Show rather dull, 3 guys in drag,  lip synching, then returning in new costumes, so 3 acts became 9! One sexy boy, stripped to waist wearing a sort of Roman leather skirt. Two dance routines by him, lip synching also. Just him! Sexy staff, indeed, most of them! Perhaps they can be offed later on? So fun to go, but not that exciting unless you get to know the guys 

10 minutes ago, ShivRoy said:

Sanmai advertises as a gay massage place - I've been once, the massage was bad, extras were nothing to write home about. I looked at their social media, there is one very cute masseur there, but I haven't seen him once over two weeks in the shop, and other guys are not my type

Is this your type of classic Cambodian guy? 😍

image.thumb.png.1ed0f7e711645a988ad28f2f4e59df45.png

10 hours ago, ShivRoy said:

Hi, I spent two weeks in SR this past September. It's a bit more mellow than I remember it from pre-covid - a significant majority of my previous favourite places have not survived the pandemic.

Barcode is the only happening bar - the waiters/bartenders are game, but I suppose not immediately offable Thai style. They could be available after the bar closes, or any following day through the whatsapp contact. There is another bar, called Look at Me, but its location is a bit off and it's most often empty than not. There is another bar called Rendesvouz one block from Pub Street, but it's a rip-off tourist trap place, local guys do not go there.

The Hatha Khmer "massage" place did not survive covid - there's still a branch in Phnom Penh but not in SR. There is another "massage" place just beyond the night market behind the cinema - every time I dropped by over my two weeks, it was sad and empty. So no more "massage" places in SR - however in many shops around town HJs are discreetly offered as extras for extra tips.

Sanmai advertises as a gay massage place - I've been once, the massage was bad, extras were nothing to write home about. I looked at their social media, there is one very cute masseur there, but I haven't seen him once over two weeks in the shop, and other guys are not my type. All Sanmai masseurs are on Grindr, so they can come to your place and it should be cheaper than to go to Sanmai.

Grindr is the app to use - there are plenty of freelancing MBs there, some are straight some are gay. There are some free sex options too there. Some masseurs from "normal" massage shops are also on Grindr, so you can agree on everything and then just come to the shop and ask for a specific masseur.

Men's Resort is the place I stayed - simply excellent value for money, especially if booked direct. They also have the biggest/best gay sauna in SR on premises (free for guests, $5 for non-guests) - best days (and only days to go) are Friday through Sunday, it's empty the rest of the week. I was actually surprised how busy with local gay guys it is. When I came downstairs to the pool, it didn't seem that busy, but then when you enter that dark sauna maze you suddenly understand everyone is there out of sight. I had great free sex experiences with young local muscle guys there - and I'm not the type that would usually expect free sex with that level of men, but the lust for older men is apparently real, they even came first before me usually, and then we discreetly part ways in the maze - the key for them is that nobody sees them (one hunk in late 20's was actually cheating with me on his local young bf who was lounging at the pool). That was very unexpected, to put it mildly - and made up for the lack of other options that didn't survive covid.

The. Very helpful. You are right about Grindr, I am fighting off twinks who are keen! Thanks for comment on Sanmsi, I won't bother going. I leave Saturday, so may miss Men's Resort!

Shirt comment on Viroth's hotel. In my view a great hotel. Central, small, but big saltwater pool. High class with 50s vibe. They are relaxed about visitors, they ask for their id card, but then they just let up to your room. A nice touch, after the boy leaves, they ring to make sure all is well. That's what I call service!

Just now, Keithambrose said:

Shirt comment on Viroth's hotel. In my view a great hotel. Central, small, but big saltwater pool. High class with 50s vibe. They are relaxed about visitors, they ask for their id card, but then they just let up to your room. A nice touch, after the boy leaves, they ring to make sure all is well. That's what I call service!

God. 'Short comment.....', sorry.

Small point. Just had good supper at Khmer Grill. Stirfried chicken and vegetables, plus separate garlic rice. Gin and tonic, small water. $9.00! I thought I had been under charged but no. Left generous tip 

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

I, m one of those who prefer receptions turning blind eye to visitors and treat them as transparent. 

1 minute ago, vinapu said:

I, m one of those who prefer receptions turning blind eye to visitors and treat them as transparent. 

I know what you mean, the Meridien Bangkok is like that. But because of the key card elevator, you have to go downstairs. Viroth's is low rise, no elevator. Because it's small, you can't bypass reception, but since the staff are very relaxed, hotel is gay owned, it's fine. Sometimes they bring the boy up, which can be difficult if you have disrobed in anticipation!

I nearly went to SR, on my most recent trip, but I was using some expiring Miles I had with Thai Airways to book, and Chaing Mai was more in budget for the miles.

Maybe next trip I will look into Cambodia; Men's Resort sounds like a lot of fun

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

Pub St again reasonably quiet, in terms of people, not noise! Plenty of space to did and order a beer for $1.00!

There is a place one block off Pub St called Home Cocktail - it's sort of an unofficial gay dining lounge (or rather, canteen:) Later in the evening you would spot gay tables - either couples or even gay groups, and some discreet cruising may happen too. They have an OK local food and incredible drink prices (which is why it's popular with local guys) - beer is 50 cent, and any cocktail (like Margarita) is $1.50. Don't remember whether G&T is a dollar, or $1.50 too. 

10 hours ago, ShivRoy said:

There is a place one block off Pub St called Home Cocktail - it's sort of an unofficial gay dining lounge (or rather, canteen:) Later in the evening you would spot gay tables - either couples or even gay groups, and some discreet cruising may happen too. They have an OK local food and incredible drink prices (which is why it's popular with local guys) - beer is 50 cent, and any cocktail (like Margarita) is $1.50. Don't remember whether G&T is a dollar, or $1.50 too. 

I'll check it out!

15 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

I know what you mean, the Meridien Bangkok is like that. But because of the key card elevator, you have to go downstairs. Viroth's is low rise, no elevator. Because it's small, you can't bypass reception, but since the staff are very relaxed, hotel is gay owned, it's fine. Sometimes they bring the boy up, which can be difficult if you have disrobed in anticipation!

I don, t mind. I, m not shy but noticed few times boys are bit uncomfortable  going through those admission  procedures 

14 hours ago, omega said:

I nearly went to SR, on my most recent trip, but I was using some expiring Miles I had with Thai Airways to book, and Chaing Mai was more in budget for the miles.

Maybe next trip I will look into Cambodia; Men's Resort sounds like a lot of fun

We all have own priorities but in my not so humble opinion no place in SE Asia and very few in the whole world are match to Siem Reap as far as travel is concerned. 

18 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I don, t mind. I, m not shy but noticed few times boys are bit uncomfortable  going through those admission  procedures 

True, but mine seem to be frequent visitors!

53 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Cambodia is famous for many things but vine is not one of them. Be greteful you survived experience at all. 

I was rather hoping the wine came from further afield!