reader

Phuket locals rally against Swiss man

From The Nation

Around 300 people rallied at the Yamu Beach in Thalang district of Phuket province on Sunday morning against the Swiss owner of an elephant park on the island province after he allegedly kicked a female doctor last month.

The protesters rallied at the beach at 9.30am, bringing their own food and drinks to join the "picnic" after the organisers invited them via Phuket communities’ Facebook pages a few days earlier.

At first, their number was around 100 but it soon trebled in size.

The rally was held under the slogan labelled by the organisers in English as “Get out, David”.

The angry local people organised the rally against Swiss national Urs “David” Fehr, 45, who allegedly kicked Thandao Chandam, a doctor at Dibuk Hospital in Phuket, in the back while she and her friend were sitting on the beachside steps of a villa being rented by Fehr.

continues at

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40036065

Phuket locals rally against Swiss man

I'm surprised there aren't more headlines like this from around the world. I had a Swiss roommate for awhile plus day to day encounters with Swiss people who have emigrated to Canada. Holy cow they can be nasty and grumpy. I went out for dinner with my roommate once and he told me how he amazed he was by restaurant servers who come by your table during dinner to check on how things are. He said he'd never seen that happen at home. I got a Swiss francs tip from a Swiss tourist last summer. I left it in my wallet and passing through Zurich airport during the winter I tried to use it to buy a coffee and found out those type of bills had been phased out. What kind of asshole would do that.

9 hours ago, xpaulo said:

I got a Swiss francs tip from a Swiss tourist last summer. I left it in my wallet and passing through Zurich airport during the winter I tried to use it to buy a coffee and found out those type of bills had been phased out. What kind of asshole would do that.

perhaps  you looked as money collector

• Members
13 hours ago, xpaulo said:

... I got a Swiss francs tip from a Swiss tourist last summer. I left it in my wallet and passing through Zurich airport during the winter I tried to use it to buy a coffee and found out those type of bills had been phased out. What kind of asshole would do that.

I came pretty close to meeting a similar fate, when my sibs and I divided some money found in my late mother's purses after her death. I took some Swiss Franc notes, only to find those notes had been phased out, though I was still able to exchange them. You won't be able to exchange them at the airport, but if you still have those notes, they can be exchanged (not at the airport). Don't throw them out, if you have a significant number of them:

https://lenews.ch/2021/04/29/old-swiss-money-no-longer-valid-from-friday/

"...After 30 October 2021, the only places that will accept these notes are the cash desks of the Swiss National Bank (SNB), which will always exchange old notes for new. There is no time limit on this. The SNB operates cash desks in Bern and Zurich. In addition to the two SNB cash desks in Bern and Zurich, 13 branches of cantonal banks operate cash desks on behalf of the SNB in other Swiss cities and towns – click here to see a list of these branches (page 3). Old notes can also be sent to the SNB by post. The SNB advises checking with your post office on the proper insurance for your shipment and says it accepts no liability for such shipments – click here for further information...". 

10 hours ago, unicorn said:

they can be exchanged

Thank you for the info... it was just a tip, about $10 US. The money didn't matter. But for some reason I still continue to be surprised there are humans who do shit like that, as trivial as it was, to other people.

10 hours ago, unicorn said:

I took some Swiss Franc notes, only to find those notes had been phased out, though I was still able to exchange them. You won't be able to exchange them at the airport, but if you still have those notes, they can be exchanged (not at the airport). Don't throw them out, if you have a significant number of them:

As a side note , this is by no means universal and differs from country to country and from issue to issue. Some countries are demonetizing their  notes and coins after certain period of time after they were removed from circulation  and they become at best collector items and at worst colorized pieces of paper. 

Before  throwing them out check with relevant bank if they can be exchanged as unicorn suggested or check e-bay what their market value may be. You may be surprised

From The Nation

Swiss expat’s long-stay visa at risk as Phuket locals angered by rude behavior

A well-known lawyer said on Monday that the Swiss owner of a so-called elephant park in Phuket may not see his long-stay visa extended due to disputes with local people.

Phuket residents have been pushing for the expulsion of Swiss national Urs “David” Fehr, 45, after he allegedly kicked a female doctor and accused her of trespassing on his property.

The incident took place on the evening of February 24 on the steps of his property at Yamu Beach in Thalang district’s Tambon Pa Klok. Dr Thandao Chandam told reporters later that Fehr looked down upon her as a “local” who could not read an English sign saying the steps she and her friend were sitting on were part of his private property.

After the incident, many residents joined a rally at the beach opposite Fehr’s villa on Sunday, calling on the expat to “get out”. Some carried signs saying in English: “Local people don’t want animal”.

The protesters said they will move their rally to Phuket city hall in a few days.

Many residents also posted Facebook comments saying that Fehr often quarrelled with locals when they tried to access the beach near his property.

All beaches in Thailand are public property. Many also alleged that his so-called elephant park, which he used as an excuse to seek donations, did not really rescue elephants.

Instead, they allege, Fehr’s Thai wife did deals with mahouts and rented their jumbos for the park.

On Monday, well-known lawyer Decha Kittivittayanan said in a Facebook post that he had learned from well-informed police sources that Fehr was unlikely to see his long-stay visa extended.

“He will have to return to his homeland,” Decha said.

From Thai PBS World

The Immigration Bureau has revoked the visa of the Swiss national who allegedly kicked a female Thai doctor, who sat on the staircase of his rented villa on Yamu Beach in Chalong district of Phuket last week.

An urgent letter, signed by Deputy Governor Sattha Thongkham in his capacity as the acting governor, was sent to immigration officials recommending the revocation, claiming that he posed a threat to society who may be a danger to the people of Phuket.

Pol Col Prinya Klinkaesorn, deputy spokesman for the Immigration Bureau, told the media today that Pol Maj-Gen Songplod Sirisukha, commander of the First Division of the Immigration Bureau, signed an order on Wednesday night revoking the visa of Urs Beat Fehr, managing director of Elephant Sanctuary Park Company in Phuket, with immediate effect.

He said Phuket immigration officials will inform the Swiss national of the revocation of his visa and detain him at the immigration detention facility in Phuket, pending his trial on the assault charge.

He added that the suspect has the right to apply for bail to defend the case in court.

5 hours ago, unicorn said:

What an idiot--not just for doing what he did, but for not fleeing while he could, especially when his crime is documented on tape. I don't know how pleasant Thai prisons are.

They are not available  on Booking.com....

From The Thaiger

Thai doctor offered bribe to drop lawsuit in Swiss scandal

The Thai doctor who was a victim in the Swiss scandal case in Phuket revealed that an unidentified person offered her and her family a bribe in exchange for withdrawing the lawsuit against the Swiss man.

The female doctor, 26 year old Tarndao Chandam, took to social media and accused the 45 year old Swiss man, Urs Fehr, of physically assaulting her by kicking her in the back. The incident took place outside Fehr’s luxury villa on the beach near Yamu Cape in the Thalang district of Phuket on February 24.

According to a report by Phuket Times today, April 10, Tarndao and her family were contacted by an unidentified person regarding the case. Phuket Times stated that this person offered a large sum of money to Tarndao and her father in exchange for dropping the lawsuits against Fehr.

Tarndao’s father insisted that he and his daughter would never accept money from anyone and stated that they would visit the Office of The Attorney General to pursue the case to the fullest extent.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-doctor-offered-bribe-to-drop-lawsuit-in-swiss-scandal

2 hours ago, reader said:

From The Thaiger

Thai doctor offered bribe to drop lawsuit in Swiss scandal

The Thai doctor who was a victim in the Swiss scandal case in Phuket revealed that an unidentified person offered her and her family a bribe in exchange for withdrawing the lawsuit against the Swiss man.

The female doctor, 26 year old Tarndao Chandam, took to social media and accused the 45 year old Swiss man, Urs Fehr, of physically assaulting her by kicking her in the back. The incident took place outside Fehr’s luxury villa on the beach near Yamu Cape in the Thalang district of Phuket on February 24.

According to a report by Phuket Times today, April 10, Tarndao and her family were contacted by an unidentified person regarding the case. Phuket Times stated that this person offered a large sum of money to Tarndao and her father in exchange for dropping the lawsuits against Fehr.

Tarndao’s father insisted that he and his daughter would never accept money from anyone and stated that they would visit the Office of The Attorney General to pursue the case to the fullest extent.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-doctor-offered-bribe-to-drop-lawsuit-in-swiss-scandal

Refusing a bribe, in Thailand? Surely a first!

• Members
4 hours ago, reader said:

... an unidentified person offered her and her family a bribe in exchange for withdrawing the lawsuit against the Swiss man...

Something may be lost in the translation, but in the US, a lawsuit typically refers to a civil case. Offering money to drop a lawsuit is generally called a settlement, and usually quite legal. In fact, most civil cases end up with a settlement. This is different from offering money in exchange for a promise not to testify in a criminal case (usually called a prosecution, not a lawsuit), which generally is and should be illegal. 

8 hours ago, unicorn said:

Something may be lost in the translation, but in the US, a lawsuit typically refers to a civil case. Offering money to drop a lawsuit is generally called a settlement, and usually quite legal. 

different countries may have different legal systems. In some offering money not to start  lawsuit would be legal only before case is launched. As soon a s....t hits the fan it's crime 

• Members
18 minutes ago, vinapu said:

different countries may have different legal systems. In some offering money not to start  lawsuit would be legal only before case is launched. As soon a s....t hits the fan it's crime 

Are you saying that once a civil suit is filed in Thailand, all cases must go in front of a judge, and that out-of-court settlements are not allowed? I find that very surprising. If that's the case, there must be massive numbers of judges for civil cases. In every other country of which I know, a trial is a threat, but the vast majority of cases are settled prior to trial commencing (sometimes after the jury is seated). 

• Members
29 minutes ago, vinapu said:

.. offering money not to start  lawsuit would be legal only before case is launched...

I'm no Thai legal expert, but I think you're factually wrong about that, according to this article written by a Thai attorney:

https://www.unpredictableblog.com/blog/thailand

"...Similar to other countries‘ courts, the Thai courts encourage mediation and settlement. If a case cannot be settled, trials usually begin within 8-12 months after the initial filing. After trial, appeals and enforcement actions can last anywhere term 3-12 years. Settlement normally occurs in the early stages of a court dispute and prior to trial. However, parties can settle at any time in the court process...".

It would have seemed rather insane to me that a legal system would discourage out-of-court settlements. That would be a recipe for disaster. 

1 hour ago, unicorn said:

I'm no Thai legal expert, but I think you're factually wrong about that,

It would have seemed rather insane to me that a legal system would discourage out-of-court settlements. That would be a recipe for disaster. 

I can live with that

not being legal expert I think you are too attached to Anglo-Saxon legal stem of common-law. A lot of countries don't use it and they if statute says something is a crime , it's a crime. I doubt OJ Simpson saga would work in say, Europe with opposite outcomes in criminal and civil lawsuits.

• Members
3 hours ago, vinapu said:

... I think you are too attached to Anglo-Saxon legal stem of common-law...

There you go again speaking with the semblance of authority over something you know nothing about. For the record, I'm not at al a fan of the US legal system. Having elected judges, prosecutors, and even sheriffs, mostly bent on seeing a conviction, with verdicts arrived at by ignorant and sometimes downright stupid jurors, who are forced into involuntary servitude, then told they cannot leave until they've "done their job" by coming to a unanimous decision, with no person assigned to actually try to find the truth, is a recipe for disaster. There are entire books filled with examples of wrongfully convicted--even wrongfully executed--due to the US system. 

When one does not know something, it is best to either keep silent, or at least to admit from the onset one is conjecturing/guessing. I would be surprised to hear of any legal system in which courts do not encourage civil litigants to settle out of court. There's a saying in the US, sometimes attributed to Abraham Lincoln, although I'd be the first to admit that I don't know if he was the one who first said it:

Abraham Lincoln - Quote - Better to remain silent and be thought a fool  than to speak and to remove all doubt - It's better to keep your mouth shut  ...

7 hours ago, unicorn said:

There you go again speaking with the semblance of authority over something you know nothing about. For the record, I'm not at al a fan of the US legal system. Having elected judges, prosecutors, and even sheriffs, mostly bent on seeing a conviction, with verdicts arrived at by ignorant and sometimes downright stupid jurors, who are forced into involuntary servitude, then told they cannot leave until they've "done their job" by coming to a unanimous decision, with no person assigned to actually try to find the truth, is a recipe for disaster. There are entire books filled with examples of wrongfully convicted--even wrongfully executed--due to the US system. 

When one does not know something, it is best to either keep silent, or at least to admit from the onset one is conjecturing/guessing. I would be surprised to hear of any legal system in which courts do not encourage civil litigants to settle out of court. There's a saying in the US, sometimes attributed to Abraham Lincoln, although I'd be the first to admit that I don't know if he was the one who first said it:

Abraham Lincoln - Quote - Better to remain silent and be thought a fool  than to speak and to remove all doubt - It's better to keep your mouth shut  ...

Speaking  as an English  lawyer, you should draw a distinction between civil and criminal cases. In civil cases settlement  at any stage is encouraged.  Indeed judges have a duty to suggest mediation. Settlement offers can affect costs orders as well. However, you cannot settle a criminal case, as the prosecutor is the Crown, represented by the Crown Prosecution service. The injured person is not a party to the case. There are some exceptions, for example VAT fraud, where the Defendant can agree a settlement, which is paid to the Customs authority.