reader

German man attacks bar staff

From Pattaya News

A bar staff member and her manager in Pattaya filed a police report against an alleged German dine-and-dasher who reportedly refused to pay his bill and also attacked them on Sunday.

At 3 PM on April 7th, Ms. Anchisa Thongpuek, a manager of a Pattaya bar on Soi Lengkee, and Ms. Warunee Yodpromwaen, a staff member, filed a police report at the Pattaya Police Station, accusing an unidentified German man of assault.

The two women narrated that the attack occurred around 2:00 AM on the same day that they filed the report. A German man, accompanied by his Thai wife, entered their bar and ordered beers. However, when presented with the bill after finishing their drinks, the man allegedly refused to pay, claiming the bar had inflated the charges. Despite the bar’s explanation of the bill, which was around 1,000 baht, the man became belligerent.

Staff member Ms. Warunee stated that she and her manager tried to negotiate with the man, but it was unsuccessful due to his intoxication. Suddenly, the man became violent and reportedly attacked both her and the manager. According to Ms. Warunee’s narration, the man shoved, slapped, pulled their hair, and even forced them to the ground before dragging them out onto the street. The Thai wife reportedly stood by without intervening, Ms. Warunee said.

Fortunately, Pattaya police arrived at the scene and apprehended the man for behaving and acting disorderly under the influence of alcohol.

4 hours ago, reader said:

A German man, accompanied by his Thai wife, entered their bar and ordered beers. However, when presented with the bill after finishing their drinks, the man allegedly refused to pay, claiming the bar had inflated the charges. Despite the bar’s explanation of the bill, which was around 1,000 baht,

that's steep , we are not talking Jupiter or Moonlight after all . Still not excuse to behave as he did

57 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Still not excuse to behave as he did

Agree. What's so troubling about the behavior we're seeing from some foreigners is that they're immediately opting for something they wouldn't even consider in their own country when they're visiting Thailand. Reflects zero respect for their hosts.

In video below, we can see man attacking the female staff.

I spent a winter in Mexico many years ago. I had been thinking as a long term goal to eventually move to maybe Costa Rica or Mexico. During that winter though I met a number of older ex-pat men... mostly Canadian like me. Most seemed lonely and sad. And more or less stranded because their pensions or savings were barely okay for cheaper living costs in Latin America, but not enough for Canada. The ones with local wives seemed to be doing the best. I see this fellow has a local wife. But I wonder if financial stress and/or homesickness sometimes leads to violent or just generally nasty behaviour from those who had to work to contain their emotions at home.

• Members
3 hours ago, xpaulo said:

... I wonder if financial stress and/or homesickness sometimes leads to violent or just generally nasty behavior...

image.png.94635f86eecaddadfd87a866fcfedd39.pngimage.thumb.png.b27a27de79633eabdf019abc8447aa39.png

Sounded to me like someone who just can't handle his liquor. As for the expat situation, I know there are a lot of Americans who can't afford long-term care, because that's not a covered benefit until you've exhausted all of your funds, in which case you get put in lower-tier nursing homes. I was under the impression that Canadian programs cover long-term care for the long-term disabled. I know that a good number of Americans live in Mexican cities such as Ajijic or San Miguel de Allende because they just need long-term care such as wheelchair transfers, meals, etc. Very few Americans have long-term care insurance. As one of the few who does, I'll attest that it's becoming increasingly unaffordable. Do Canadians not have coverage for assisted living facilities if they're in need? 

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/assisted-living/mexico

"...Assisted living in Mexico costs approximately $1,650 – $2,450 per month in 2024. Unlike the American model of assisted living where the costs tend to spiral upward as care needs increase, most Mexican assisted living residences charge a flat monthly fee regardless of care requirements. Assisted living in the United States has a national average cost of $4,900 per month in 2024. Yet regional variances within the US mean that persons living on the East or West coasts and in densely populated urban centers tend to pay closer to $5,700 – $7,000 per month...".

4 hours ago, xpaulo said:

But I wonder if financial stress and/or homesickness sometimes leads to violent or just generally nasty behaviour from those who had to work to contain their emotions at home.

even if that is the case , it's not excuse to an any degree  for getting physical. 

14 hours ago, unicorn said:

Do Canadians not have

Yes, as far as I know, every province/territory includes long term health care in its public health care system. Although many of the long term care facilities are full so people are warehoused in a hospital until a bed becomes available in a care home. In my family's experience, that meant my mother didn't receive any therapy, no personal grooming and as little attention as possible from the nursing staff who weren't happy about looking after helpless old people. Most of the Covid deaths in the first six months of the pandemic were in long term care homes, the worst in privately owned facilities as opposed to publicly owned. Which led to the, "they were about to die anyway" reason for opposing Covid rules. But in any case, I wasn't thinking of people who needed health care, just lonely old unhappy men.

9 minutes ago, unicorn said:

let his home country deal with him

I lived and worked in Germany for about six months many years ago. Some people there have really quick tempers and can become semi-hysterical, but I didn't see any drunk fighting. Even at a beer festival with tens of thousands of people packed into a big park there was no security. Would have been a disaster in Canada where there are many fights, especially outside bars. An inheritance from our British forefathers I guess. Not as bad as Australia and Britain. I don't think. British drunks are particularly foul based on what I saw of British stag weekends in Cologne and Prague. The Finns on the other hand, I just wanted to hug.

15 hours ago, xpaulo said:

I lived and worked in Germany for about six months many years ago. Some people there have really quick tempers and can become semi-hysterical, but I didn't see any drunk fighting. Even at a beer festival with tens of thousands of people packed into a big park there was no security. Would have been a disaster in Canada where there are many fights, especially outside bars. An inheritance from our British forefathers I guess. Not as bad as Australia and Britain. I don't think. British drunks are particularly foul based on what I saw of British stag weekends in Cologne and Prague. The Finns on the other hand, I just wanted to hug.

Swedes aren't great either.