bucknaway

Paying the price

The last time I was in Thailand, the drink prices in the bars were hitting over 400 baht per if tip is included in the transaction.  Also the tips for the guys was on the rise as well.  Then came COVID.  Bringing with it desperate please for money flooding messaging apps and mailboxes.

I'm thinking of my return to Thailand but I think my love affair with Brazil, Brazilian men and affordable tip requests. Not to mention the very low bar prices.  I'm having a hard time pointing my travel compass towards Asia. 

I'm wondering if gay price inflation is still in full effect in Thailand?

You've cited many reasons why you are hesitant to return. I'm not aware of any country where prices have not risen due to worldwide inflation.

Perhaps you might want to dwell a bit on the reasons you're even considering Thailand now. What's drawing you to it may be a way of balancing the equation.

• Members
34 minutes ago, reader said:

I'm not aware of any country where prices have not risen due to worldwide inflation.

Yes, post-Covid prices in Thailand have risen like everywhere else.  However, at the moment, the Thai baht exchange rate is down against the US dollar & the Euro, if that helps at all.

2 hours ago, bucknaway said:

The last time I was in Thailand, the drink prices in the bars were hitting over 400 baht per if tip is included in the transaction.  Also the tips for the guys was on the rise as well.  Then came COVID.  Bringing with it desperate please for money flooding messaging apps and mailboxes.

I'm thinking of my return to Thailand but I think my love affair with Brazil, Brazilian men and affordable tip requests. Not to mention the very low bar prices.  I'm having a hard time pointing my travel compass towards Asia. 

Yes !

Bar prices I believe Boyztiwn 600 b a drink

Some go go bars request 500 b off free ,boys are demanding 2000 b from go go bars in Boyztown minimum 

2 hours ago, reader said:

...and neither has Thailand, thankfully. 🙂

To me Thailand has changed 

Obviously a different generation which doesn't rely as much on working bars 

I am noticing a lot more indian guys gay4pay on Grindr than ever before 

There to me anyway , doesn't seem much selection of boys working bars now and if they are a lot more ladyboys ,that's my opinion anyway 

Nothing like it used to be ,of course I live in the past unfortunately 

Next year I may skip Thailand and head to the Philippines,boys are cheaper and they can have a conversation 

In fact I may head to the Philippines next week 

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

In fact I may head to the Philippines next week 

If you can find the guy with military type haircut featured prominently in this video that Macaroni21 posted a few weeks ago, I might join you. 🙂

7 hours ago, bucknaway said:

My last visit to the bars was in December 2023, with I think just one visit (to Dream Boy) in January.  For January's Dream Boy, my notes (see https://shamelessmacktwo.travel.blog/2024/02/28/the-supermarket-stacker/#more-4022) say: Customer drink: 500 baht, Boy drink: 400 baht, Off fee: 550 baht.

For December, my notes in relation to Banana Room say First drink 500 baht. Boy drink 300 baht. Off fee 500 baht. In relation to Hotmale, First drink 500 baht. Boy drink 400 baht. Off fee 500 baht. See https://shamelessmacktwo.travel.blog/2023/12/22/three-bars-three-obsessions/

I'm in no position to say whether there have been further increases as I haven't been back.

I don't know what you mean by "were hitting over 400 baht per if tip is included in the transaction." Tips have always been separate from drinks and off-fees.

As for the boys' expectations, budget for 2,500 baht short time, but if you time your visit right and the boys need you more than you need them, 2,000 should be the right level.

And for me too, the attractions of Thailand are gradually fading. 

Just as the action in Brazil is mainly in the GP saunas, so the action in Thailand is mostly in the "massage" places now. Most of them are not where you would get a proper massage anyway. If at all there's a bit of a rub here and a rub there, it's more accurate to describe it as foreplay.

Overall, it works out to be better value for money than offing from the gogo bars.

My vague recollection is that you like your boys on the meatier side though I may be wrong and confusing you with some other member, but if so, turn your attention to Jey Spa, Sabaidee Massage, Arena Massage and maybe Goo Guy (their stable is mixed but they have some bigger ones). Vinapu should be able to give you more information about getting to those places.