TotallyOz

10 Lessons Learned by a Traveler to Gay Thailand

Guest LoveThailand

When you bring a guy back to your hotel at night, would you be expected to go to the reception desk to officially register them? Or can you just walk past and continue to your room? Sorry, I sound so inexperienced, I've had guys back to my room in other cities before and it hasn't been an issue - I've just ignored the reception desk and nothing happened - but I didn't know if the same applied to Bangkok.

I understand your concerns. Since you have booked a room at Malaysia new wing - I think you'll have an entrance card key and your room card key. The wing is separate from the main building and I am not even sure if they have any staff inside it. Please, let us know how it works there - I am also thinking about staying there during my next trip.

And in general - Thais are very much live and let live - you will comfortable bringing guest back since hotel staff is used to it and is always discrete.

Depends on Hotel. I went to see a friend in Tarntawan and had to leave my ID with security. In Malaysia, I just walk past reception, but locals will be stopped and have to tell them where they want to go, reception will call the room, and visitor will have to leave ID at reception. Even if they are repeat visitors to the same room.

The new wing (house between parking and pool) has no reception, you can bring back whomever you want, nobody will stop you. The rooms have different sizes and layouts. A friend stayed there several times and I visited him several times, he prefers the room with the balcony that overlooks the parking. Usually front door and back door (to the pool) are closed (and locked), so I either have to go to reception (they will call him and send staff with key card to open door for me) or I call him and he throws me the key from balcony. But when you come back with a boy, you won't have this problem.

And there is yet another building, north of the pool, which operates similar to the house between pool and parking. But to go there you have to parade through the open air part of the restaurant and along the pool; the gate which allows direct access from parking is closed most of the time.

from my last trip:

BBB Inn - one boy requested to leave ID, two let go without, one was insider so no problem, ordinary  guests not asked for ID

Tarntawan - ID requested in both cases

Take A Nap - nobody was bothered with ID

Cafe Royale  - ID requested in all 3 cases

Malaysia - one boy ID requested and when left reception called to confirms I'm alive, two boys went in unmolested by reception, likely because I smile and wave at reception stuff any time I'm passing by during day

Om Yim - ID requested in all three cases

Nantra Silom - nobody bothered with ID 

The policy of hotels regarding boy guests varies. Some insist on retaining the ID card. One hotel even gave me a form to sign when I returned with a boy to stay overnight. Some check that everything is OK before giving the card back, although I normally accompany the boy to reception for this purpose. Some hotels are not bothered whether cards are handed in or not and others find holding the cards a nuisance.

More places are using plastic cards to open the room door which are not handed in at reception but are retained by the guest. Sometimes particularly late at night or at small guesthouses you find nobody at reception or the guy is fast asleep.

It can be reassuring when the card is properly checked that you havent acquired an under age boy.

This post (about lessons learned for travelers to Thailand) reminds me of my first ever trip to Thailand and Pattaya in August 1990, I met an ex-pat who became a great and valued friend until he sadly died in 2010.

He gave me 3 rules which still make me laugh and are quite apt too:

1. Never trust a fart in Thailand.

2. Never believe anything you hear in the bars Thailand.

3. Always look left and right when crossing a road in Thailand - Especially when crossing a one-way street.

Edit: I've lost count of how many times I've slipped up with rule number 1 - :)

3. Always look left and right when crossing a road in Thailand - Especially when crossing a one-way street.

I'd say look right and left, not other way around . Almost learned that lesson hard way while crossing Suriwong last trip, good thing I was with the boy who stopped me  

I'd say look right and left, not other way around . Almost learned that lesson hard way while crossing Suriwong last trip, good thing I was with the boy who stopped me  

If I'm going to be hit by a car while crossing the street, it's likely to be the first day or so I'm there while I'm getting used to drivers going the opposite direction from those at home. Those old habits of "left-right-left" are pretty well set in what's left of my gray matter. I thought I was going to have my shoulder dislocated one time when a friend yanked me back out of the way.

Thailand is supposed to drive on the same side of the road as my own country.

I just keep forgetting to check both ways as people are constantly breaking the rules in Thailand.

Thailand is supposed to drive on the same side of the road as my own country.

I just keep forgetting to check both ways as people are constantly breaking the rules in Thailand.

You can almost guarantee that there will be a motorcycle driving down Second Road in the wrong direction at any time of the day or night.

from my last trip:

BBB Inn - one boy requested to leave ID, two let go without, one was insider so no problem, ordinary  guests not asked for ID

Do they still have the drama queen/rotweiler night manager?

Not sure if I want to go back there, seriously.

Loud and uncouth, bitchy.

Not sure if I want to go back there, seriously.

Loud and uncouth, bitchy.

I never had problem with either day or night staff and always stay there at least 2 nights on every trip. Fact that quite a few of them recognize me at least by the face probably helps.

Only problem I can recall from last trip is that night shift receptionist did not have a clue of how much of all-inclusive price for massage actually goes to the boy but I worked that with the boy. 

If I'm going to be hit by a car while crossing the street, it's likely to be the first day or so I'm there while I'm getting used to drivers going the opposite direction from those at home. Those old habits of "left-right-left" are pretty well set in what's left of my gray matter. I thought I was going to have my shoulder dislocated one time when a friend yanked me back out of the way.

I'm opposite, in the beginning pay attention to sides and as time passes I tend to forget where I am and start generating  trouble when crossing streets or possibly  subconsciously I start thinking about returning to 'normal' sided traffic