firecat69

Taxis in Bangkok

Interesting article about complaints of taxi drivers in Bangkok.

I am usually happy with the taxi drivers and the fares I am charged, But I cannot divorce myself from the facts that almost everywhere else I have lived or travelled, the taxis were far more expensive and in most cases not as nice.

Your thoughts?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/368542/more-than-23000-complaints-against-drivers-on-taxi-consumer-hotline

I hate that so many taxis turn you down based on the area you wish to travel to. The Sathorn area is always full of business traffic and when I try to get a taxi there after 4PM they refuse. Even at the big malls like Siam Paragon, it is often impossible to get a taxi to Sathorn.

I know the law states they can't turn you down, but they do.

In NYC, I would just get inside a taxi and tell them where I want to go. Here it seems that they must know first.

Well I agree that is the biggest problem for me in BKK which I try to minimize by using the BTS during busy periods . I also am not adverse to paying more then the meter would be during heavy traffic periods , if i think it is a fair alternative.

I agree NYC that would not be a problem but the meter there is going very fast while sitting in traffic vs. very slow in Bangkok.

Still I use the taxis many times and most of the time think I am getting a nice a/c car for a very reasonable rate.  But I think the first time visitor might find it much harder to be happy with the taxis when they don't know when and where to use them.

i think the taxis in Bangkok are great, they're cheap and plentiful and most importantly almost for me COLD, there's times I would almost take a taxi round the block just to cool down some days ! lol  

But the one thing that does surprise me sometimes is the drivers lack of local knowledge re where places are etc, even going from say Tarntawan to Babylon has proved difficult sometimes and that's even after giving them the address written in Thai too !

Mind you the same written directions have also lead to a knowing smile and I "oh yes I go there too sometimes" from one driver I had one afternoon so they're not all bad :-)

Cracks me up also.  But then I never found a NYC taxi driver that could find anything out of midtown especially anything in the Village.

I find this the case in most countries with London being the glaring exception.  The know where they are going and how to get there and at those rates they better know how to get there!!

I've never had any problems except with the taxis that park along Suriwong and wait for unsuspecting people. They quote some crazy fare and I just laugh and close the door, then walk s few yards down the street and hail a moving taxi who always turns on the meter.

I've long thought that Bangkok taxis are probably too cheap. I don't know how any of those guys makes a living.

I agree with fedssocr that Bangkok taxis are probably too cheap / not that I mind but drivers probably are / and can't complain about the service .

Who knows but quite possibly low prices are kind of contributor to constant traffic gridlock on Bangkok's streets.

In reality I use BTS  / MRT  (  this is elevated rail and underground for you newcomers  )   plus Airport CityLink almost exclusively and taxis only to places when I can't go by those plus for late arrivals and early departures of planes. Very rarely problems with not turning meter and if that is a case I either go away and take next taxi , they are always around or just bite the bullet and pay higher rate depending of circumstances .

On my last trip I was actually very happy to pay extortionate 600 baht  from Rama IV to airport instead of meter rate of 380 as I was leaving hotel at  4 a. m. in a heavy downpour and taxi miraculously  just passed by  before I got soaked  completely.

All in all I consider  Bangkok's taxi service one of best in the world due to blend of easy availability and affordable prices. About traffic and refusal to go to our destination  as much as we don't like that at least we can understand why. And as Nirish noticed if we are stuck in traffic at least we have A/C included in fare.

London's taxis may be superb but for prices charged I'd rather suffer in BKK at local rates.

Guest Promsak

I agree with all the comments praising the taxi meter service in Bangkok.

Of course there are the exceptions of surly drivers, strange smells, sparse geographical knowledge etc. but they are the exceptions.

The only thing that does make me angry is the drivers who refuse to turn the meter on. They are clearly cheats.

I have no problem with drivers who turn down a trip. Every other service provider that I can think of has the right to refuse custom/ admittance. Why not taxis? There may be many legitimate reasons for not wanting to take a fare, for example -- his half day car rental may be nearly up and your journey would take him into further rental or a fine from the renter OR a long journey way out of town late at night would give him virtually no chance of picking up a fare on his return to town. Or you may simply look unsavoury to him.

Taxis have had the same fares for about 13 years (is it?)--- I reckon they are due for a small price increase after all the price of fuel has always been increasing.

I don't think that any taxi drivers in the world could have the same knowledge as London taxis. For the drivers to get their taxi license, they have to first travel around London by bicycle (maybe moped these days) for a couple of years learning all the streets, lanes and byways. It is called 'the knowledge' and they undergo very strict exams on it. Sadly, there is no charm course included.

I also agree Bangkok's taxis are generally excellent. I must have used them dozens of times over the years. Apart from the usual niggles of refusing to go where I want to go, or not turning on the meter, I have only had a handfull of other problems.

On one occasion the driver had fiddled the meter so it was turning over faster than it should've done. That was from the airport into town. He was taking a big risk as anyone taking an airport taxi is given a chit with his details, so when I complained he pleaded with me not to report him. Being a softie I didn't but if it were to happen to me again I would.

The other occasion I forget where it was I wanted to go, but that doesn't matter. It was spring 2010and instead of taking me to where I'd asked the taxi dumped me right outside the red shirts encampment. I wandered around in a bemused daze for a few minutes to get my bearings, however there were no real safety problems for me as this was before the fateful day later in April when they clashed with armed troops.

Sadly, there is no charm course included.

That reminded me of the famous London-based Lucy Clayton charm academy for young ladies! The girls walked around with books on their heads to improve their posture and deportment (or so I'm told).

For London cabbies it would seem part and parcel of the job to be strongly opinionated. Therefore perhaps it's not surprising they occasionally get into heated aguments with some of their fares.

The only thing that does make me angry is the drivers who refuse to turn the meter on. They are clearly cheats.

Not cheats but avid free marketers testing market capacity.

Cheats would be those who are fiddling meters, taking much longer than ordinary route just to rack higher fare or giving you wrong change.

But it seems from discussion so far we all agree that BKK taxis are great value for money even with few wrinkles described.

Glad I'm not going to Chiang Mai anytime soon.   Transportation sucks there anyways , now even a bigger mess!!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/368381/airport-uses-more-taxis-as-chiang-mai-strike-continues

It's not worth worrying about. Many of the hotels in CM offer a free airport pickup with their own transport and, even if they don't, there are plenty of red songtaews or, if you prefer, tuk-tuks, to be had. In fact, I never knew there was a metered taxi rank at he airport.

Glad I'm not going to Chiang Mai anytime soon.   Transportation sucks there anyways , now even a bigger mess!!

Hardly.  Getting around here is fairly easy if you know/understand the baht bus system.  Plus, you can find a tuk tuk usually (before about 11PM anyway) if you want to pony up 80-100 baht for one of those.  And you can telephone for a taxi any time (and those are metered - or at least the few that I've been in).

I just came through the airport last night and I didn't see any problem with people getting taxi rides.  Like ceejay, I'm unaware of "metered" taxis at the airport.  You just go to one of the taxi booths, tell them where you're going, and they'll tell you how much (and hand you a slip of paper that you hand to the taxi dudes outside the north end of the airport).

Glad to hear they have taxis at the airport. Certainly not a good city for taxis at any rate. Hard to find and rates are 2-3x  what you would pay for similar distance in BKK.

Songtaews are ridiculously over priced  and way too small compared to Pattaya although I understand they are on continuous routes in Pattaya.

Great city but really need to use motorbikes which I hate if you want to get around easily at all times.  Probably the major reason I don't spend more time there.

I haven't had enough experience in taxis here (Chiangmai) to know for sure how the rates compare.  My impression, though, has been that the rates charged (for taking you home from the airport or for picking you up and taking you anywhere) were no more than what I used to get charged (years ago) in Bangkok.  As for songtaews, it's pretty much 20 baht to anywhere and I've never felt that was expensive (yes, maybe more than jumping on a fixed route baht bus in Pattaya or Hua Hin but, then again, I'm asking them to go to a specific location).  And I don't understand the "too small" comment as the baht busses I've ridden both here and in Hua Hin seemed to me to be the same size as the ones in Pattaya.

I've never driven - car or motorsy - in Thailand and I've always appreciated the transportation available up here in Chiangmai.  I get to wherever I'm going without any undue hassle. I would agree, though, that it's now too easy to find either a songteaw or a tuk tuk late at night (but usually whatever venue I'm attending will call for a tuk tuk if I ask them).

Apologies to the OP for straying off topic.

Taxis refusing customers

I has been a long time that I had a problem with taxis. But yesterday, it struck again. I was in Sukhumvit area with a friend. There was heavy rain at midnight. Around 1 am (today 12.09.2013),I Ieft her place (the rain had stopped, but still some areas ankle deep under water) and hailed down several taxis in Soi 11. They either refused to go to Lak Si or quoted a price that was about twice what I would pay by meter. One taxi driver even said “It’s so far!” WTF? If it was close, I would walk there! Other customers had similar problems.

Now the interesting part. The taxi drivers have the window on the passenger side down and prospective passengers tell them their destination and wait for approval and a price quote. The customer becomes a supplicant who asks the taxi driver if he deigns going to his destination. After over five rejections, I change my strategy. I hail down a taxi and get in, and then tell the driver where I want to go. It works!

My suggestion for similar situations: Don’t discuss destination through the window while standing outside. It’s irrelevant, the taxi has to take you wherever you want to go (within reason). And it shows the driver that you are in the weaker position. Just open the door and sit down and tell him where you want to go (best in Thai to show that you have local knowledge), because you are the customer, he is the servant.

By telling your destination through the window and waiting for approval you accept your role as petitioner, by getting in and sitting down you show that you are the boss!

Based on one event. What are your experiences/thoughts? I always sit down in the front seat, for a better view.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think once you've got into a London taxi the cabbie is obliged to take you where you want to go.

Anyway, be that as it may, back to Bangkok. I rarely need to go somewhere obscure so I state my destination through the window or open the passenger door and if he declines I wait for the next one. I agree it can sometimes be a useful tactic to get in before telling the taximan where you want to go, but it can still backfire if he declines to use the meter. That's happened to me a few times. Not long ago I wanted to go to the airport, so when he refused to use the meter I had to go and remove my suitcase out of the boot (trunk) - slightly humiliating! However, with a little persistence, I always get a driver willing to use his meter.

Taxis refusing customers

And it shows the driver that you are in the weaker position. Just open the door and sit down and tell him where you want to go (best in Thai to show that you have local knowledge), because you are the customer, he is the servant.

Not necessary weaker position,  as Rogie noticed in following post, one inside you are trapped.

As for customer /servant part -it's just too much of capitalistic propaganda you are subjected to.

Free market-he offers service at stated cost and condition and you are free to take it or look somewhere else.

I usually open door, state destination and wait for nod or quotation. If there's no quotation as soon as taxi starts running I indicate need for meter, usually like you I sit at front so just a tap on meter does the trick. Sometimes I doesn't work and we need to stop in order for me to get out, sometimes I just swallow my pride and pay what is asked for or try to haggle.

But this is general - in Bangkok really never  problem with taxis with exception of really bad weather when I understand driver is taking advantage of. In such a case  I'm grateful he was there  

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think once you've got into a London taxi the cabbie is obliged to take you where you want to go.

Anyway, be that as it may, back to Bangkok. I rarely need to go somewhere obscure so I state my destination through the window or open the passenger door and if he declines I wait for the next one. I agree it can sometimes be a useful tactic to get in before telling the taximan where you want to go, but it can still backfire if he declines to use the meter. That's happened to me a few times. Not long ago I wanted to go to the airport, so when he refused to use the meter I had to go and remove my suitcase out of the boot (trunk) - slightly humiliating! However, with a little persistence, I always get a driver willing to use his meter.

How much more he wanted that you put yourself through this? 

On my way from and to airport everywhere I tend to just get over it and tend to pay what I'm quoted . But usually I'm well prepared with what price should be so wouldn't pay too much over the going rate.

But this is general, in Bangkok I used taxi to/from airport 3 times in 8 trips, twice it was meter no problem, once paid almost double but was still happy  (heavy rain )

You right, once inside you are trapped !

I usually open door, state destination and wait for nod or quotation.

I go by flat fare only in emergency situations. The last one was on Songkran with the druken boy in tow, if I had been alone I have taken the bus. If the driver quotes a price, it's bye bye.

I think I went by taxi without meter only twice: my very first taxi ride in Bangkok (my lack of experience) and with the drunken boy on Songkran.

I go by flat fare only in emergency situations. The last one was on Songkran with the druken boy in tow, if I had been alone I have taken the bus. If the driver quotes a price, it's bye bye.

I think I went by taxi without meter only twice: my very first taxi ride in Bangkok (my lack of experience) and with the drunken boy on Songkran.

and this is beauty of taxi situation in Bangkok-hell or high water, there's always another on in sight.

My first taxi ride in BKK was metered , no problem. It was from  Don Muang airport / 2001 / . Few seconds after we start moving driver asked me if I want a girl for massage, 'no , I don't want, I'm tired after long flight",  ' you will be sleeping , she will be massaging you', ' no thank you ', " OK, I have a boy for you ', this was our converastion. I'm not making this up.

I did not take his offer but still am grateful that he was so forthcoming in introducing joys of Thailand to me. I know right away it will be easy. 

The same for me. My first ride (Aug 2009, from Suvarnbhum to Sathorn for 600 Baht flat fare), the driver offered me girl, boy, massage, young girl, young boy. My very first impressions of Thailand: being overcharged and offered underage sex.

I wouldn't feel trapped in a taxi, unless the driver locks the door.

I vaguely remember one case at the airport. I got into the taxi without discussing the fare. On the drive, the driver started negotiations. I told him to use the meter. He didn't, he took me back to the point where I got into his taxi for free and waited for an easier victim.

Christian,

it looks that even if first impression was not that good you still managed to fall in love with the country, good for you.

Airport taxi problems are not unique to Thailand or even Third World countries, I had taxi dispute  situation in LaGuardia airport in New York City few years back.

My advice to all when travelling is to do research as for public transit options, pre-arrange pick -up  or  take taxi from outside of airport is possible , if this doesn't work just bite a bullet as is not worth to spoil trip with bitter taxi dispute.

Good news is, in expensive countries public transport is usually available, in cheap countries taxi fares are affordable. When overcharged I tend to sweeten experience with thinking how much such a distance would cost me at home and just let it go.

600 baht=20 $, this is what I'd pay where I live and I'm walking distance from the airport.

Understand what you saying though, when overcharged one feels like taken advantage of.

Looks like the taxi drivers in Chiang Mai may have won their fight against the raise in their parking fees.

Glad to see the little guy win in Thailand.

Chiang Mai is a great city and needs the taxis for all the tourists.

Try this link:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/369993/chiang-mai-airport-taxi-strike-resolved