GoldMember

My first Thailand trip

Hello everyone, 

last week I decided to take whats left of my semester vacation and go on a trip to Thailand. Unfortunately, I could only dedicate 10 days to this trip so I am trying to plan the whole trip in advance and make the most out of the time that i have. 

First of all i would like to thank all the post writers here. I am amazed from the amount of relevant and valuable info this forum holds. 10x.

After reading a lot of posts I am still trying to think what is the best route for me. I am landing alone (leaving my BF at home) on a Tuesday noon. The first three days of my trip cannot be in Bangkok since I am meeting a friend of mine there on Friday and i want to visit an island or a city first and then meet with him for a wild weekend in Bangkok. 

Question #1 - From Tuesday to Friday, where would you recommend that i go? Here is some relevant information regarding myself that might help you recommend the proper destination: I am 29, I enjoy parties with electronic music (but also pop euro trash). At home (Israel) me and BF prefer hookups via Grindr and I am not familiar with selecting and taking guys from bars though after reading some experiences here I am more than willing to try that as well. I am also looking for nice beaches and luxury restaurants and hotels (this is my only vacation this year and since Thailand is cheap i am more than willing to spend my money on this). I have no problem taking a flight to wherever you think would be nice for me. 

Friday I am arriving to Bangkok to meet a friend from home. We are planning to spend the weekend mostly hunting for shopping and sex. While I think i'v got the former under control, I have several questions regarding the latter. I know we should probably go sight seeing but knowing us both that will probably not happen even if we plan to do so. 

Question #2 - I have read a lot of posts regarding the bars and taking a guy from them. Are simple non pay hookups less common? How can I tell in the mobile apps which are just simple people looking for a night of fun and which will expect me to pay them? 

Question #3 - My friend is a gay sauna junkie (I like them only if they are clean). We both think we prefer tourists than locals. Where would you recommend us going? 

Of course, I am also looking for good relevant recommendations regarding: goof food, hotels, gay clubs, gay massage places. I did get some recommendations from this forum and I will most definitely use them. 

Last part of my trip will be still with my friend also in another island or city from Monday to Thursday. We can leave Sunday if Bangkok is dead on Sundays like European cities.  

Question #4 - Is Bangkok alive on Sunday and Sunday eve or should we leave on Sunday instead of Monday? 

Question #5 - Is there another recommendation to a city or an island for this part of my trip? my friend will be before we meet in Kho Samui so it can't be there. 

I will probably have more questions later on but i think it is enough for now. 

Any other recommendations will be gladly accepted :)

Of course, I will write all my thoughts and notes after I return. 

Thanks. 

Afraid I am not really able to answer some of your questions as I am not a beach person at all.

You are young. If you are also good looking I would think that finding non-paid hookups should be easy. It is my understanding that Grindr is also popular in Thailand. When hooking up there I think I would assume in general that he's not a moneyboy unless he makes it obvious that he is.  

There are tons of nice hotels in Bangkok and elsewhere. The non-chain places tend to be cheaper. I think hotel recommendations would depend on your budget.

Bangkok always has something going on so I wouldn't be concerned about being there on a Sunday.

Way back when I made my first trip here, I spent 3 days down in Phuket and really enjoyed it, especially the beaches and a snorkeling tour to the islands (which you can arrange via almost every tour desk in every hotel/motel).  Stay in the Patong area and you'll be able to check out the bars in the evening, all within a relatively short walk from Patong Beach.  Oh, in spite of what you might read, there's really not much of a gay beach down there (we stayed at a place that was supposed to be right in back of the gay beach but we didn't see more than a dozen other gay couples there the whole time).

I'd note that others here surely know Phuket better than me as I've only been down there a total of three times in the last 15 years.

Whatever you do , you are in for a blast !

I'm last person to give beach advice but try do some research and consider possibly Hua Hin  , closer to Bangkok.

Do not spread yourself to thin by trying to visit too much, Bangkok can keep you occupied for days on and on. Don't worry about it being dead on weekends, certainly this is not Europe and city is alive 8 days a week, not just 7.

City is big but fortunately all things which may interest you  / shopping , sights , gay life / are close or well connected with public transport, mainly  MRT / underground / and BTS / overhead rail /.  

Visit to Grand Palace is a must, even if you do not like sightseeing. Go there by river bus-Chao Praya Express , scenic and very cheap instead of taxi trip. Be there early, open at 8.30 as crowds are unbearable from 10.00 on. DO NOT WEAR SHORTS ON TEMPLE VISITS.

When using public transport remember again you are not in Europe and tickets for BTS  can't be used for MRT or other way around even on adjoining stations  so plan accordingly.

For shopping try Chatuchak weekend market, just for experience. If luxury shopping is your thing,  stretch of Sukhumvit between Siam and Asoke stations will keep you busy and your pocket drained although you may find prices more attractive than in Tel Aviv.

If you are coming in Sept or Oct take umbrella with you and be prepared for heavy rains, do not be afraid,  will not be raining day long but if it rains it does with gusto!

As for food , accommodation, saunas , bars etc., whatever is recommended on this forum will serve you well but go with your guts and try not to spoil your first vacations there  with too much of central planning.

I would not stay in Khao San area, it may be backpackers heaven but too far from other attractions so you will be spending time and money in taxis.

As for non-commerial sex, saunas, Gay Romeo , Grindr and parties other will advise you as this is not my thing.

Good you are not familiar with process of taking guys from bars-this you your chance of familiarize yourself and your friend with process, chance most posters here are deprived of because we already used it in the past. Can't express how I envy you. Treat boys well and tip them properly.

Ironclad guarantee you will remember fondly you first foray into Bangkok go-go bar for long time. 

This is what vacations are for-to familiarize yourself with unknown, don't waste vacations on familiar-this would be receipe for boring vacation  and boring life. Hope I don't sound to patronizing, my apologies if I do. 

As for Question 3#, it's fine if you think you prefer tourists than locals, we all have our preferences. But if you are coming  by your own admission , for sex among other things do you really need to spent all this time flying from Lod to Swampy to fuck some Canadian or Greek? Local component will not disappoint you, take my word, it's why we are on this forum , not some South Sandwich Island one.

Whatever you do make sure you enjoy your time in Thailand and do not forget to report your impressions here after you return.

Shalom !

You are young. If you are also good looking I would think that finding non-paid hookups should be easy. It is my understanding that Grindr is also popular in Thailand. When hooking up there I think I would assume in general that he's not a moneyboy unless he makes it obvious that he is.

Totally agree. This app and Jackd seems to be for free hook ups.

As for what to do, I love Hua Hin. It is beautiful and the beaches are amazing. If you are looking for many choices in hookups, it may not be the place for you but if you are looking for great beaches and a peaceful time, give it a try.

Pattaya is great but massive amounts of money boys and many want money from even younger handsome men. That said, I know many that go there and never pay. Again, try the two apps above.

Wishing you a fantastic trip to LOS. If you have more questions that don't get answered, keep asking and others will chime in.

I lived in Hua Hin 3 months one year and 4 months another year and, while I really like the place, I think the beaches in Phuket are a fair amount nicer (cleaner sand and beach edge in any event). And you won't find the sugar white sand of Koh Phi Phi or a few other areas in Hua Hin (although, again, I liked the beaches in Hua Hin and did swim in the ocean there too). No great snorkeling places in Hua Hin to my knowledge.

There's very little gay action in Hua Hin although there usually are 2-3 sorta host bars open there. If you're interested in more of that in the evening, Phuket would be a much better choice.

Both places have plenty of good restaurants all over the place.

No matter where you go, smile and have a good time.

Thank you all for replaying. 

fedssocr - Regarding my budget - I thought about staying in a 100-150 $ per night hotel. I can afford 200$ a night but after seeing all the prices of the 5 star hotels I think 100-150 $ is more than enough for a very nice hotel. I already booked places in the Banyan Tree & Sukkhotai for that weekend and since they are refundable I will cancel one of them or both if you have a better recommendation. What do you think about their location (near Silom road)? 

Bob - I started searching for info regarding Phuket. I do think this might be a good destination. The beaches there look wonderful. 10x. 

vinapu - After reading your post i started my research regarding Hua Hin (is it pronounced as an English H or rather an Spanish J?). A strange fact is that Israelis who are usually experts regarding Thailand (but not gay Thailand) are not familiar with this resort at all. I read that this is more of a family / couples resort. Is that true? The impression that i got from the online info is that it is a very calm place. Maybe too calm for me. 

Thank you for all the Bangkok tips. Do you think it will rain badly in early October? I am not planning to stay in the Khao San arae. I was looking for hotels near Silom road. Is there a better location?   

I am coming open minded and I will embrace your advice regarding the locals. I usually prefer older men and i got the impression in this forum that the local men to hookup to are rather young. But again, I will surly try everything :) 

Michael - First time i hear about the "Jackd" app. Is it popular? Pattaya is certainly an option althoght many Israelis told me to stay away from there since "it is only hookers there". What do you think? Is it beautiful as Phuket? 

Thanks Again! 

Lots of choices but time is not on your side in order to do too much.

Yes the beaches in Phuket are beautiful but the night life pales in comparison to Pattaya.  Pattaya you can get a limo for $40 US and be there from Bangkok in under 2 hours. You will spend way more time then that just getting to the airport and waiting for your flight to Phuket. When you arrive Phuket it will be another hour or more to get to your Hotel. 

The beaches in Pattaya suck but a 30 minute speed boat ride will get you to some beautiful beaches on KhoSan. Pattaya has a number of night club discos that you will like the vibe and the music and of course plenty of bars with Boys available.

Your Hotel budget will allow you to stay at some of the best Hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya.  You might look at Marriott Hotels such as Courtyard and Renaissance which are easily in your budget and well located next to Skytrain Transportation and some great shopping Malls where you may just stumble upon many free hook ups.  As long as you stay in Business areas of Bangkok, transportation of all types are available.

Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya should be in your budget and has a young vibe with great pools and ability to get around and also close to some of the best Discos. Even the Marriott may be in your budget in October and you can walk to the Gay GoGo Bars and their pool is just fabulous although the rooms tend to be small.

October for weather can be just luck of the drawer.  I am almost always there in October and some have had some rain every day and other years have been pretty dry.  Usually the rain can be of short duration and you just need to be prepared.

Suggest you post on GayRomeo in Bangkok immediately with some flattering photos and wait for response which could be many.  Also look on Gayromeo for your types and send out some message to your types to get a feeling of what is available.

Thank you firecat69 for all the tips. I see the big advantage in landing and then going straight to Pattaya. I think I will go for it! And maybe go to Phuket or Kho Samui after the Bangkok weekend. 

I actually didn't think about setting up my GR profile in advance and having a feel of the guys. That is a really good idea and should be fun. Now i just need some alone time since i don't want to rub it in my BF's face. 

I had a lot of research time this weekend since it is "Yom Kipur" in Israel so nothing to do accept planning this trip :) 

I actually didn't think about setting up my GR profile in advance and having a feel of the guys. That is a really good idea and should be fun. Now i just need some alone time since i don't want to rub it in my BF's face. 

If you set up your profile and cruise a few Thai boy profiles (leaving a footprint), don't be surprised if you get a message asking, "When you come Thailand" or "When you come Pattaya you call me OK?" I get that all the time. I'm hoping to get back sometime in November and I check the Pattaya and Bangkok sections on GR periodically and I already have a few phone numbers. Enjoy!! :good:

vinapu - After reading your post i started my research regarding Hua Hin (is it pronounced as an English H or rather an Spanish J?). A strange fact is that Israelis who are usually experts regarding Thailand (but not gay Thailand) are not familiar with this resort at all. I read that this is more of a family / couples resort. Is that true? The impression that i got from the online info is that it is a very calm place. Maybe too calm for me. 
Thank you for all the Bangkok tips. Do you think it will rain badly in early October? I am not planning to stay in the Khao San arae. I was looking for hotels near Silom road. Is there a better location?   
I am coming open minded and I will embrace your advice regarding the locals. I usually prefer older men and i got the impression in this forum that the local men to hookup to are rather young. But again, I will surly try everything :)

I just put Hua Hin as idea - it is  after all it's Royal family  vacationing ground or at least was  so must have some charm and class.

My only contact with beach in Thailand is when I visit Fresh Beach Boys bar in Soi Twilight so take my advice lightly in sun and sand field.

Don't panic about rain - likely it will rain  but those are not whole day deluges, rather intensive but usually short.

Silom area is  the best to stay , wise choice from every angle.

If you get nostalgic food wise visit Small Middle East / Africa between sois 3 and 5 on Sukhumvit / BTS Nana /, for  while you will feel removed from Bangkok.

If inclined for more  touristy stuff do not forget about Snake Farm, almost across the street from Soi Twilight, shows at 11 and 2.30, each different.

As for more mature boys, try Hotmale bar and Tawan, that one for muscle lowers only.

As for sauna and preference for tourists and older men, sounds as invitation to visit Babylon sauna, short taxi hop from Silom.

I have stayed at the Sukhothai but not Banyan Tree which is right next door. Sukhothai is a very nice hotel. But the location is not ideal in my opinion. It is closer to Babylon though for your sauna adventures. It's not as close to Silom (time wise) as you might think due to the road configuration. MRT is about 10 or so minutes walk away. Sathorn is a very busy road especially during rush hours. If you want to be in the middle of it all then Le Meridien would be a better choice. It's extremely close to the gogo bars for example and Suriwong Rd has a lot to offer. And probably 10-15 walk to BTS skytrain.

Or you might consider somewhere like the Dusit Thani which is in a very good location on Silom right across from Lumpini Park. Very close to BTS and MRT and there's a ton of street life right there on Silom. One problem with staying at the Sukhothai is that there's nothing right around the hotel as far as food for example.

I used to stay at the Siri Sathorn all the time. It's a serviced apartment place run by the same company as the Sukhothai. You get a lot more space, your own kitchen, etc. The location is not the greatest as it is 10 minutes or more walk to Silom Rd but they have a shuttle van during the day that can drop you off on Silom and you just have to walk back or take a taxi. Probably a good 20 minute walk the gogo bars. 

One problem with Bangkok is that there are just too many great choices of places to stay at reasonable prices. I think it can lead to some paralysis in making a choice. Service is almost uniformly gracious and friendly wherever you stay.

Again thanks all! 

just got my profile up. The GR web site is a bit inconvenient comparing to other stuff i know. Anyway, just want to make sure of something: 

Should I assume that every Thai boy is there for money? How can i tell the difference between pay and non pay without directly asking (which i can do but i don't know if it is too straightforward)? For example one nice guy just offered to show me around BKK. This is probably for money, but is it OK to just ask him? 

fedsoccr - I know what you mean... I am trying to decide which hotel is nicer and they all seem good and fair priced and that makes the decision much harder. Probably I should just pick one and stop looking :) 

Should I assume that every Thai boy is there for money? How can i tell the difference between pay and non pay without directly asking (which i can do but i don't know if it is too straightforward)?

Keep on asking and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking and you will find. Keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you. 

Again thanks all! 

just got my profile up. The GR web site is a bit inconvenient comparing to other stuff i know. Anyway, just want to make sure of something: 

Should I assume that every Thai boy is there for money? How can i tell the difference between pay and non pay without directly asking (which i can do but i don't know if it is too straightforward)? For example one nice guy just offered to show me around BKK. This is probably for money, but is it OK to just ask him? 

fedsoccr - I know what you mean... I am trying to decide which hotel is nicer and they all seem good and fair priced and that makes the decision much harder. Probably I should just pick one and stop looking :)

Again thanks all! 

"Should I assume that every Thai boy is there for money? How can i tell the difference between pay and non pay without directly asking (which i can do but i don't know if it is too straightforward)? For example one nice guy just offered to show me around BKK. This is probably for money, but is it OK to just ask him? "

You will have no problem finding free hook ups at your age.  Even then you will be expected to pay for drinks, meals etc in most cases .

They have all been asked the question before so don't be afraid to ask if money is involved.  Most money boys will volunteer the fact during your messages but this is not 100%.

I am trying to decide which hotel is nicer and they all seem good and fair priced and that makes the decision much harder. Probably I should just pick one and stop looking :)

Yes,

my guess is you will be surprised how little time you will spent in you room and even if  there likely your companion will be far more interesting than room's décor and size of mirror in the bathroom

One problem with Bangkok is that there are just too many great choices of places to stay at reasonable prices. I think it can lead to some paralysis in making a choice. Service is almost uniformly gracious and friendly wherever you stay.

Last trip to Thailand I spent only 2 days in BKK. I stayed in a hotel I had never heard mentioned before, the Glitz Hotel http://www.glitzbangkok.com/. It is half-block down from Tartawan Place so easily within walking distance from the bars. I was very satisfied. My rate included a breakfast buffet with cooked to order eggs made by an attentive elderly Thai woman. There is no people elevator, but they do have a dumb waiter for your luggage. I was on the 3rd floor and didn't feel it was a problem since I didn't have to haul my luggage. They checked IDs and there was no problem with overnight guests. The desk clerks were very helpful in arranging transportation back to the airport and helping me find my way to places I wanted to visit.

One thing to keep in mind as a first time visitor - Thai pronunciation of English words can be VERY different from Western pronunciation. When I was trying to get to the hotel no one knew what or where Glitz was. When I finally arrived I  asked staff what the name of the hotel was and they said it was "Gleece." From then whenever I asked to go to the Gleece tuk-tuk and taxi drivers knew where I wanted to go.

Pics are of my room at the Gleese

post-367-0-73078300-1379556248_thumb.jpg

post-367-0-73705700-1379556292_thumb.jpg

post-367-0-78391700-1379556341_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, so it seems that my trip is going to be Phuket (3 nights) -> Bangkok (3 nights - weekend) -> Samui (4 nights). I just ordered the first domestic flight to Phuket but the rest of the trip is still fluid and I will decide on the spot when and where I continue. I am starting my trip next Monday so I should probably book an hotel for Phuket soon. I wanted to book "La Flora "but it is full and also a bit expensive (250$ a night) so does anyone have a good recommendation for a fine hotel near that area? 

I know the current path is rather strange but i want to be in BKK in the weekend so i do not see any other options. 

Whatever you decided please make sure you enjoy every minute of your time there, that is no time like first time !

And when you return don't forget to report how it went , what you liked and what you did not / hope won't be a case  /.

Nothing strange in your path as long as you enjoy beach and sea.

As with  every trip , take half luggage and twice as much money. 

Very good advice, although I do just get by with having about 30% more money than I think will be necessary. 

As for luggage, a total of about 16kg is sufficient to cover clean clothes for 10 days, netbook, tablet, phones, camera, toiletries etc etc.

Very good advice, although I do just get by with having about 30% more money than I think will be necessary. 

As for luggage, a total of about 16kg is sufficient to cover clean clothes for 10 days, netbook, tablet, phones, camera, toiletries etc etc.

Advantage of Thailand, one out of many ,  is  that  everything we forget to take along  can be bought cheaply and easily almost everywhere 7/24, so luggage can be really light.

Gold, make sure you have ample supply of cash as at the moment none of bar/ massage boys  is accepting tips by credit card payment. If you are bringing USD exchange rate for 100 $ bills is better than on smaller ones.

Regarding luggage I am coming with a rather large and very light suitcase since i think ill buy most of my clothes there. From what i have heard you can buy shorts and tank tops really cheap in the markets. As to money, I am taking ~1300 USD with me (flights and hotels payed in credit) but i don't understand why take TWICE as much money. Surely there are ATM's that I withdraw money from in case i'll get short on cash. I don't understand the advantages of traveling with large amounts of cash.