TotallyOz

New Site Colors

Who ever did SGT's new board used black, red, green and yellow.  You do not have to use those same colors but they are bright and they do look good.  I like Zombie's color wheel.  That would be a great start.

Guest ausken42

I think you are asking the  wrong question - it is not just the colours that make most of the gay thailand forums, including this one, look unappealing and dated and boring - it is design

modern web sites use lots of whitespace, open designs with minimum clutter, consistent visual clues to usage, etc

have a look at the evernote web site home page then look at a forum page - the colours are the same but you feel like you have gone back 10 years in time because the forum uses older off-the-shelf forum software - it is IP Board, you will probably recognize it!

have a look at the jawbone home page then look at a forum page - the colours are same and the feeling is tightly integrated with the main site and clean and open and easy to use

compare that forum page to a forum page here - clutter, boxyness, confusion, inconsistancy

I am not saying that jawbone is a great site - I have a number of criticisms of it - and obviously they have a web budget and a web development team that would never be available to a small local web site, my point is just thinking about changing the colours on the web site may not achieve your objective and I have seen a number of small sites with limited budgets achieve good results by thinking more broadly - talk to an experienced web graphic designer!

ken

I think you are asking the  wrong question - it is not just the colours that make most of the gay thailand forums, including this one, look unappealing and dated and boring - it is design

modern web sites use lots of whitespace, open designs with minimum clutter, consistent visual clues to usage, etc

have a look at the evernote web site home page then look at a forum page - the colours are the same but you feel like you have gone back 10 years in time because the forum uses older off-the-shelf forum software - it is IP Board, you will probably recognize it!

have a look at the jawbone home page then look at a forum page - the colours are same and the feeling is tightly integrated with the main site and clean and open and easy to use

compare that forum page to a forum page here - clutter, boxyness, confusion, inconsistancy

I am not saying that jawbone is a great site - I have a number of criticisms of it - and obviously they have a web budget and a web development team that would never be available to a small local web site, my point is just thinking about changing the colours on the web site may not achieve your objective and I have seen a number of small sites with limited budgets achieve good results by thinking more broadly - talk to an experienced web graphic designer!

ken

I like both sites. But, they are sales sites and not profile sites.  There is a big difference between them.  I'd love every site to look like Apple's site as I think it is simple and beautiful. But, it is just not possible from a design perspective.

Guest ausken42

I'd love every site to look like Apple's site as I think it is simple and beautiful. But, it is just not possible from a design perspective.

Why?

step back, pretend you have never heard of Apple or any of their products and look at their web site again and think about what makes it simple and beautiful.

why can't those same design principles be applied to any web site? in fact they already have been to a greater or lesser degree of success by many new and upgraded web sites. the objective should not be to look like Apple but to look simple and beautiful - a classic design goal.

look at Apple's community forum pages - if you think they are more appealing than the forum pages here what design principles could  be applied here or to any forum site while still avoiding a Samsung-like copy-cat court case?

use the WayBack Machine to look at how Apple's web site has evolved  over time - the basic colour choices have been fairly consistent over time and so have the design principles but the design elements and the expression of those design principles have changed as web design trends have evolved

yet so many sites remain stuck in the 1990's in their choice of fonts, layouts, style and yes colour - think outside the box Scooby and team and unleash some really creative CSS stylesheets that will drag us all into the 21st century of web design!

I look forward to seeing the new design - when do you expect to roll it out? a new year's present for us?

ken