TotallyOz

Single Men Targeted Upon Exit from USA

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever heard of such shit?

For the first time in 20 years traveling out of the USA, there was a team of Homeland Security agents that were picking people at "random". The flight was headed to Asia. The passengers they were picking were single men. They asked questions like:

Why are you doing to Bangkok?

What do you do there?

Where do you stay?

How many times have you been?

Why do you go so much?

Have you ever seen any trafficking of any kind?

How many bags do you have?

What are in them?

Do you have camera equipment?

I was more than a little surprised to get these questions upon leaving the USA. They said they were trying to target traffickers before they leave the USA. The questions were odd and I can't imagine a trafficker actually answering them wrong. I told them I didn't think trafficking happened in Bangkok but more likely the surrounding countries. He went on to explain how I was wrong. I just said, "I didn't know that."

When asked if I was going to Bangkok to see the ladies, I laughed and said no. He said, why do you laugh. I said, I'm gay so I have no desire for ladies. He asked if I liked boys. I said I have a Long Term Boyfriend for 10 years and if he calls that liking boys then yes, I guess I do.

The conversation lasted about 5 min before he selected the next single guy. There were 6 agents in total.

While I do realize that there must be a point to this, the rationale behind the expense baffles me. And, I was insulted that I was targeted as a traveling alone single guy.

When I arrived in Thailand, I went to the customs and he guy said, "you have been here many times, you must like Thailand." I said Yes. He said, "good. Welcome to Thailand."

Fuck America! (Yes, I know some of you will be upset over my foul language but I can't wait till I am 50 and never had to return to that cess pool of puritinanical beliefs.

bet you can hardly wait to come back through customs/immigration USA.

now almost automatically upon reentry- how many times have you been?

follow the blue line.

upon entry to Thailand customs  see my polite happy smile and return it.

can just imagine how they might react if I was honest in my answer.

why do you travel there so much -

"because I feel like it"

Guest jomtien

For the first time in 20 years traveling out of the USA, there was a team of Homeland Security agents that were picking people at "random". The flight was headed to Asia. The passengers they were picking were single men. They asked questions like:

What do you do there?

Where do you stay?

How did you answer "why are you doing to Bangkok"?

How did you answer "why are you doing to Bangkok"?

Meant why are doing so many in Bangkok?

or, perhaps:

Why are you going to Bangkok?

:)

did they give up any tips

on successful trafficing?

big luggage, etc?

trafficking what?

He did think it odd that one 70 pound bag was filled with Cast Iron Skillets. I had wanted them in Thailand for a while. They are heavy. He said how many? I told him 8. He asked why. I told him that my Aunt used Lard on them and they were seasoned well and fat people from the South like their lard seasoned skillets. He said, "Are you kidding about one bag of Iron Skillets?" I said, "no, just ask the TSA. I am sure they have been through the bags carefully by now."

bet you can hardly wait to come back through customs/immigration USA.

now almost automatically upon reentry- how many times have you been?

follow the blue line.

upon entry to Thailand customs  see my polite happy smile and return it.

can just imagine how they might react if I was honest in my answer.

why do you travel there so much -

"because I feel like it"

It is always unpleasant. I despise it.

Surely targeting single guys for trafficking amounts to blatant discrimination?  Wouldn't the US have laws to cover that?

Is a single guy any more likely to traffic drugs than a couple, or a single female? 

Of course, single guys might go there for the nightlife and sex, but as there are no laws against that, it's none of their damn business.

Michael, you said the flight was headed to Asia?  Was that to Thailand or Japan or where? Did this take place before or after security check?

As for returning to the USA best to get a Global Entry card.  Kind of a pain in the ass to get one but you can bypass all the hassle upon re-entering USA.  No questions asked at Immigration or Customs. Only problem I had was after renewing my Passport which voided the Global Entry. So later had to return to Immigration at the airport and they updated with new Passport number.

The other drawback is you are thru Immigration so fast that you have to wait around for your baggage to arrive. But once you have the baggage there is an exit lane for Global Entry at Customs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/travel/global-entry-and-company-worth-the-price.html?hpw&rref=travel&_r=0

can just see you arriving/unpacking 8 fry pans that have

been drilled/sawed in half for inspection. :growl:

One was broken. My heart along with it. How do you break an iron skillet?

Surely targeting single guys for trafficking amounts to blatant discrimination?  Wouldn't the US have laws to cover that?

Is a single guy any more likely to traffic drugs than a couple, or a single female? 

Of course, single guys might go there for the nightlife and sex, but as there are no laws against that, it's none of their damn business.

It is not drugs they were looking for. If that were the case, they would have asked different questions. This was about human trafficking. I am not sure if looking for underage or not as that was never a question.

I also agree with you on the none of their business stuff but they do prosecute people upon return for breaking laws overseas. And, prostitution is illegal in both Thailand and most states in USA. So, legally could they prosecute you for that? I think it is possible. Hard to prove but possible.

Michael, you said the flight was headed to Asia?  Was that to Thailand or Japan or where? Did this take place before or after security check?

This was done after the security check. I flew from Cincinnati. No stops as we were going to Minneapolis. After the gate agent checked us in going from Minn to Tokyo, the Homeland Security guys where there. They were not TSA.

Guest anonone

As for returning to the USA best to get a Global Entry card.  Kind of a pain in the ass to get one but you can bypass all the hassle upon re-entering USA.  No questions asked at Immigration or Customs. Only problem I had was after renewing my Passport which voided the Global Entry. So later had to return to Immigration at the airport and they updated with new Passport number.

The other drawback is you are thru Immigration so fast that you have to wait around for your baggage to arrive. But once you have the baggage there is an exit lane for Global Entry at Customs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/travel/global-entry-and-company-worth-the-price.html?hpw&rref=travel&_r=0

Just to be sure everyone is aware, even after getting Global Entry, there is always the possibility to be questioned and/or searched upon entry into the USA.  It does eliminate the majority of the crap, but it is becoming more common now to ask questions of the Global Entry members when entering.  It usually happens past the immigration kiosk, when you clear customs after getting your checked baggage. 

What do you do there?

Where do you stay?

Why do you go so much?

Have you ever seen any trafficking of any kind?

How many bags do you have?

What are in them?

Do you have camera equipment?

I was more than a little surprised to get these questions upon leaving the USA. They said they were trying to target traffickers before they leave the USA. The questions were odd and I can't imagine a trafficker actually answering them wrong. I told them I didn't think trafficking happened in Bangkok but more likely the surrounding countries. He went on to explain how I was wrong. I just said, "I didn't know that."

When asked if I was going to Bangkok to see the ladies, I laughed and said no. He said, why do you laugh. I said, I'm gay so I have no desire for ladies. He asked if I liked boys. I said I have a Long Term Boyfriend for 10 years and if he calls that liking boys then yes, I guess I do.

The conversation lasted about 5 min before he selected the next single guy. There were 6 agents in total.

While I do realize that there must be a point to this, the rationale behind the expense baffles me. And, I was insulted that I was targeted as a traveling alone single guy.

When I arrived in Thailand, I went to the customs and he guy said, "you have been here many times, you must like Thailand." I said Yes. He said, "good. Welcome to Thailand."

Fuck America! (Yes, I know some of you will be upset over my foul language but I can't wait till I am 50 and never had to return to that cess pool of puritinanical beliefs.

Unbelievable.  Hopefully this is some short-lived special "project" or something. 

Also wonder what would happen if someone didn't answer their questions.  Prevent them from exiting the country?  Seems incredibly silly...but I guess that is what to expect from Immigration/Customs policy in the USA. 

It is not drugs they were looking for. If that were the case, they would have asked different questions. This was about human trafficking. I am not sure if looking for underage or not as that was never a question.

Human trafficking? 

Surely the way to follow up on that is at the point of entry of the trafficked humans, rather than harassing tourists who are leaving the country alone.

Thankfully I can enter and leave the UK without ever having to answer questions like that.

As far as bring belligerent to them I am certain customs can make your return a living hell.

Dunno what **Homeland Security** can do (I am sure the same) generally I just would  give them 

an amused condescending pathetic look and put them in their place- once forewarned.

Thanks for the warning- Minneapolis used to be my favorite place to go through.

Hopefully not many more times.

Wow the sheer stupidity. 

Sounds exactly the same dumb questions customs always asks.

Getting stopped regularly on my return as my trip counter goes up.

Kinda funny- they will ask if you are traveling alone,

how many times. It's all in your passport/ticket info.

Just a standard question to help gauge the credibility of your next answers-

all while watching your reaction/body language.

They are inferiors thinking psychology is *real science.*

I with you Z.  I do not understand the whole thing as it is not only illegal, but makes no sense at all.  I recently returned from the USA and saw nothing like that.  Not only that but I know of no law that allows you to be questioned when leaving the USA without probable cause.  I would have told them nothing except, " why i travel to Thailand is none of you business".  Why answer their questions at all?  Are they going to arrest you or stop you traveling without :real " probable cause.  What would a real trafficker say or do?  More then likely he would co-operate as they would have something to hide.  Don't get me wrong I believe Micheal's story--although I am very surprised he does not know about Thailand's severe trafficking problems--but none of this makes real sense to me, nor have I heard this from anyone else leaving the USA for Thailand.

Thats the America of Obama...

I'm not American but  strongly  believe  that George W started all this nonsense.

Last year when crossing to USA to attend friend's funeral among questions I was asked were " with whom do you live" and " are you renting or living in your own place", translation of it for me was "stay away from USA until next funeral"

Guest frequentflier

I'm not American but  strongly  believe  that George W started all this nonsense..Not true ,I travelled many times to the USA during his time in office and never heard of this type of carry on.This gestapo stuff is all Obama and his NSA..They will probably listen in to your phones next,sorry,they already do that..

Guest Hereforme2

I've only heard of such activity upon returning to the states, asked do you have any photos and they might ask to see your computer, but never outbound.

I'm not American but  strongly  believe  that George W started all this nonsense..Not true ,I travelled many times to the USA during his time in office and never heard of this type of carry on.This gestapo stuff is all Obama and his NSA..They will probably listen in to your phones next,sorry,they already do that..

You are wrong, this started under Bush and in particular the Protect Act of 2003<?>. There are threads on the forums a few years back of gay American men getting hassled by immigration when returning from Thailand. Happened to me many times over the years but not in recent years. Michael's experience is a new twist since it took place upon departure.

I with you Z.  I do not understand the whole thing as it is not only illegal, but makes no sense at all.  I recently returned from the USA and saw nothing like that.  Not only that but I know of no law that allows you to be questioned when leaving the USA without probable cause.  I would have told them nothing except, " why i travel to Thailand is none of you business".  Why answer their questions at all?  Are they going to arrest you or stop you traveling without :real " probable cause.  What would a real trafficker say or do?  More then likely he would co-operate as they would have something to hide.  Don't get me wrong I believe Micheal's story--although I am very surprised he does not know about Thailand's severe trafficking problems--but none of this makes real sense to me, nor have I heard this from anyone else leaving the USA for Thailand.

Doesn't make sense to me either, but it is not illegal, it's called profiling and protected by the courts. Under law being single doesn't grant you special protections.

It's not unique to the USA. Four years ago, it happened to me at Heathrow. Rather than immigration people, it was uniformed police. Disconcertingly, they took me aside after I had passed through the boarding gate, while I was on the way to the bridge to board the plane, although they were at pains to say that it was "only routine" and that I would not miss my flight. They flicked through my passport, asked me how many times I had been to the region before, where I was staying this time and then let me go. No reason given for it, and I didn't ask.

When I returned from that trip, it was the only time I have ever been stopped at Customs for a search on the in to the UK. A quick search of my luggage - absolutely no interest in computer or cameras, which were just put to one side while they went through the case - a few questions about where I had been, where I had stayed - and on my way. Probably just coincidence but, if you are paranoid, you can believe they were checking the outbound story against the inbound one....

Don't get me wrong I believe Micheal's story--although I am very surprised he does not know about Thailand's severe trafficking problems--but none of this makes real sense to me, nor have I heard this from anyone else leaving the USA for Thailand.

I really have no reason to lie. It happened. Having been out of the USA over 200 times in my life it is the one time this happened. So, I thought odd and wondered if others had experienced it. I am sure this was specific to Asia countries just as when I return from Amsterdam, they always have sniffing drug dogs.

As far as trafficking, I really have not experienced it or heard it was so rampant. If you are talking about drug trafficking, I can't imagine anyone trying to take things over from USA to Thailand. I think it is far to easy to ship from countries close by.

If trafficking means slaves, servitude, etc, I have not seen that either. Nor have I seen kids forced into the sex industry in Bangkok. I just haven't seen it. Now, I do see migrant workers doing construction,etc often, but I don't know the story and I don't ask. But, truly, I despise drugs and have never seen forced labor in Bangkok.

I've only heard of such activity upon returning to the states, asked do you have any photos and they might ask to see your computer, but never outbound.

Yes, I have been checked dozens of times in USA and I let them check computers, hard drives, etc. It was a regular thing until I just sat down each time and read a book as they went through my stuff. When they asked a question, I answered yes or no. They soon got bored of me.

I had passed through the boarding gate, while I was on the way to the bridge to board the plane, although they were at pains to say that it was "only routine" and that I would not miss my flight. They flicked through my passport, asked me how many times I had been to the region before, where I was staying this time and then let me go. No reason given for it, and I didn't ask.

That was exactly what happened here.

Obviously having little to do with actual **Homeland Security** up in Minnesota

The TSA is an agency of Homeland Security and they are at every airport everywhere (even my dinky home city of 15,000 people).  At MSP, a rather large city and important airline hub, there's likely hundreds of them.

I believe somebody checked one of my cameras several years back but I don't ever remember being hassled at all going out of or into the US the approximately 40+ times I've done that over the last 15 years.  I can't remember a single question being asked when I left and typically I only get a "welcome home" when I go back for summer hiatus.