TMax

That retired feeling

Well my company has decided to retire me after nearly 30 years of loyal service, still got some things to finish off before I decide on a move to Thailand permanently or not (still a bit undecided on that). Will be taking some time in Bangkok in January to put the feet up and make up my mind just what I want to do, looking forward to getting screwed by a Thai hunk again, my company screwed me but it's just not the same feeling as having a Thai hunk do it nor as pleasurable. :p

ceejay, I like they way you have done it and would be looking at doing it very similar to you, I will be doing a lot of homework on expenses, condos etc before I make the final decision. I too am only about 2 years from my retirement date so it wasn't that bad but the timing sucks, if I earn money before the end of this financial year (June here in Aust) the tax man will come down hard on me. I own a property where I have been living for over 30 years so I need to decide to put it on the market or lease it out, would love to buy a condo / apartment in Chiang Mai but would most likely look at renting at least for the first year. I will be looking at opening a bank account in January when next over there, one thing I will need to do is find something to keep me occupied or I may go nuts, become a travel writer maybe (haha I doubt it).

I own a property where I have been living for over 30 years so I need to decide to put it on the market or lease it out, would love to buy a condo / apartment in Chiang Mai but would most likely look at renting at least for the first year. 

Suggest you do not burn your bridges until you are positive.  Better to lease your property maybe for a very long time. It may be necessary for you to return to home country for medical care or R&R from too much sex in Thailand.

Suggest you do not burn your bridges until you are positive.  Better to lease your property maybe for a very long time. It may be necessary for you to return to home country for medical care or R&R from too much sex in Thailand.

Yeah that's what I'm currently thinking, it would be good to have a base at home but If I sell that place I will buy something further down south where my family live, the sale price of my unit and purchase price of a place down south place would be much the same.

Guest abang1961

Hi

I would recommend you to do the sums properly.

Selling your current place and move log, stock and barrel is a little overboard.

Thailand may be great as a visitor (up to 90 days) initially but would it be boring thereafter.. 

I mean to say that when you are on vacation, money and daily chores are NOT in the agenda.

However staying put would be very, very different as you will live like a local..

I am sure you want to look for a smaller apartment, nearer to your other family members.

That apartment can be rented out and the rent can offset the mortgage.

Personally I have been toying with the idea of finding a semi-permanent place in Thailand, preferably in Bangkok or Pattaya.

I would like to settle for a 2-bedroom unit which is easily accessible (by public transport).

On my last visit last month, there seem to be multitude of empty apartments - will prices fall further south? 

I will be doing a lot of homework on expenses, condos etc before I make the final decision.

A very good idea.

I've had a few falang friends ask me about what things cost over here and have even asked my opinion about proposed budgets that they have drawn up.  More than once, I've been a bit dumbfounded to see that their proposed budgets don't include all the basic expenses they will encounter.  For good measure, just look at all the things you pay for at home and, other than some things being cheaper here, it's likely you'll encounter the same type of expenses here.  Just don't forget the basics - rent/ownership, electric, water, cable tv, internet, laundry, etc., etc., etc.

Where to live/rent/buy is a decision, I think, that most should take 1-3 years to make.  Even if you've decided what city you want to live in, you very well might change your mind about what part of the city you wish to reside in once you've lived in the city for a while. 

My guess is you'll do well here given you're using your brain to consider all the various angles, expenses, etc. 

However staying put would be very, very different as you will live like a local..

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but most foreigners I know who live in Thailand full-time do not live like a local. Sure, some do, but from what I've seen so far, they are few and far between.

Hi

I would recommend you to do the sums properly.

Personally I have been toying with the idea of finding a semi-peis the current range? manent place in Thailand, preferably in Bangkok or Pattaya.

I would like to settle for a 2-bedroom unit which is easily accessible (by public transport).

On my last visit last month, there seem to be multitude of empty apartments - will prices fall further south? 

Hi Abang,

I'm also keen on buying a 2-bedroom for occasional stay leading perhaps to permanent stay one day. What's the going rates for units this size based on your research? Are they priced psf or psm and what is the current range? How did you go about scouting for available units - online property sites or property agencies? What areas were you looking at? Are there particular areas in bkk that are popular with the gay community?

Guest abang1961

#13,

When I said "live like a local" ...it means that while on vacation, I would probably keep late nights every night.  This is because I know I am here for the short vacation and I need to max myself out....

However when I live in a particular place on a longer period of time, there are other things to "attract" and "distract" me.. say e.g. if I am in Bangkok for 3 nights..the chances of me hitting Soi Twilight is almost 100% whereas one day when I do eventually decide to live there, I probably do the night scene sporadically. 

In addition, I would have to acclimatize myself to the local palate..I ain't too good with spicy dishes... One Prik kin Noo (tiny devilish chilli) and you will find me sitting on the ROYAL throne for the next 12 hours... You know, I am Chinese and Thai food is very different in terms of the cooking and spices...

I have not contacted a local agent but in the past few trips, I was invited to condo launches..I am there more for the champagne and free food ..I am a city person and I saw some at Bangsue, Bangkok .. quite promising ...My only concern is its proximity to the MRT or Sky train....as I really don't see myself driving in Thailand.  

Pattaya is really not my cup of tea for a longer stay..My maximum is 4 nights and I am max out... Enough of the noise and traffic and the constant haggling... Pattaya remains a tourist destination rather than a place to live in..

I've seen way too many people go to "live" in Asia (Thailand or Philippines) and they try to live the life of a tourist but burn out very quickly, that is one mistake I would avoid like the plague. My party and nocturnal mode would only be switched on maybe once or twice a week at most but that is where I would need to find other interests to keep me occupied and keep away the boredom.