forky123

Explosion in Bangkok

From BBC News:

A bomb has exploded close to a shrine in the centre of the Thai capital, Bangkok, police say.

Local reports suggest at least 12 people have died and dozens have been injured.

The BBC's Jonathan Head, who is at the scene, says there is a huge amount of chaos, with body parts scattered everywhere.

The attack took place close to the Erawan Shrine in the capital's central Chidlom district.

Our correspondent says this a very well known shrine in the centre of Bangkok, next to a five-star hotel.

He says people around the shrine were hit by the full force of the blast.

There are burnt motorbikes on the main road, with paramedics and police trying to take the injured away, he says.

The explosion was on the Rajprasong intersection, which has been the centre of political demonstrations in recent years.

Our correspondent says bomb attacks in Bangkok are extremely rare.

Unfortunately there are few places in the world any longer that are safe. 

If you travel , you assume the risks and hope nothing happens to you.

Too bad that useless news outlets race to report the story with no real facts.  I have read 3 reports that list 2-20 dead.

Really, how about waiting until you have facts instead of BS!

Guest shamahan

There are numerous victims. It is already confirmed. Fascist dictatorship cannot be good for the country. Nor can provide security.

God bless Thailand.

Explosion near shrine in busy shopping area of Bangkok, at least 15 killed: Reports

BANGKOK - A powerful bomb exploded during rush hour right outside the famed Erawan Shrine next to the Grand Hyatt hotel in downtown Bangkok on Monday, killing at least 15 people in the most severe single incident of this kind to hit Bangkok in recent memory.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/explosion-rocks-bangkok-commercial-hub-casualties-seen-afp

Explosion near shrine in busy shopping area of Bangkok, at least 15 killed: Reports

BANGKOK - A powerful bomb exploded during rush hour right outside the famed Erawan Shrine next to the Grand Hyatt hotel in downtown Bangkok on Monday, killing at least 15 people in the most severe single incident of this kind to hit Bangkok in recent memory.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/explosion-rocks-bangkok-commercial-hub-casualties-seen-afp

Update: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/explosion-rocks-bangkok-commercial-hub-casualties-seen-afp

Guest shamahan

It doesn't matter who is in charge when it comes to terrorism. There are far more soft targets in the world than it is possible to protect.

Really? Judging from your post, you have no clue about concrete situation in Thailand.

Really? Judging from your post, you have no clue about concrete situation in Thailand.

My post referenced terrorism in general and that no government, whether dictatorship, democracy, monarchy or anything else can protect people 100% from terrorism. With your extensive knowledge of terrorism, perhaps you could suggest how to stop it from happening? I think there would be lots of governments waiting for your solution.

Guest shamahan

My post referenced terrorism in general and that no government, whether dictatorship, democracy, monarchy or anything else can protect people 100% from terrorism. With your extensive knowledge of terrorism, perhaps you could suggest how to stop it from happening? I think there would be lots of governments waiting for your solution.

I am sick and tired of generic bullshit which in many cases mean implicit support of various governments with checked history.

Even terrorists rarely strike out of blue. Usually there is a reason. I,of course, do not know who is responsible for this particular act but among possible perpetrators I personally would suspect Chinese Uighurs- a persecuted muslim minority in China. They have a known history of brutal terrorist activity within China. Recently Thai junta returned about 100 Uighur refugees to China and that could be a cause. I do not believe that any  buddhist Thai would be capable of such a horrific act. And muslim insurgents in the South are not known for activities of this type outside insurgency area.

Now , return of refugees to China was an act of ass leaking by junta which is  well aware that those refugees would be treated very badly back in China.

-

There appears to have been a second explosion as well, looks like someone threw a handgrenade (or similar device) off the Taksin bridge at Sathorn Pier. This one landed in the water and no one was hurt, possibly linked to the Erawan bomb.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/second-blast-at-bangkok-pier-no-one-hurt/story-e6frfkui-1227489009570

I am sick and tired of generic bullshit which in many cases mean implicit support of various governments with checked history.

Even terrorists rarely strike out of blue. Usually there is a reason. I,of course, do not know who is responsible for this particular act but among possible perpetrators I personally would suspect Chinese Uighurs- a persecuted muslim minority in China. They have a known history of brutal terrorist activity within China. Recently Thai junta returned about 100 Uighur refugees to China and that could be a cause. I do not believe that any buddhist Thai would be capable of such a horrific act. And muslim insurgents in the South are not known for activities of this type outside insurgency area.

Now , return of refugees to China was an act of ass leaking by junta which is well aware that those refugees would be treated very badly back in China.

-

If you are sick and tired of it, stop reading it. If you must read and comment, perhaps comment on what the person actually says rather than what you think he may have meant. Unless of course you are psychic, in which case can you PM me Friday's winning euro lottery numbers.

Terrorists regularly strike out of the blue. They also generally choose soft targets because, by nature, they are cowards. If you think any particular government, of whatever type, has been successful at stopping terrorism you are having delusions. I don't know which person or group is responsible for this attack but my contempt for them is not based on my support for any particular political affiliation, but for the completely cowardly way they have targeted innocents at a shrine of all places.

I am sick and tired of generic bullshit ... I do not believe that any  buddhist Thai would be capable of such a horrific act.

I am also sick and tired of this bullshit - the Thai prime minister expressed a similar belief just before the police arrested and charged two itinerant Burmese workers over the Koh Tao murders, indeed it is an often heard refrain from Thai people and their rose-coloured glasses supporters

since it is so obvious that the always perfect Thai Buddhist man's burden is to educate the rest of the uncivilized world on morally correct behavior (and I assume the recent repatriation of Uighur refugees to China was an example of that - regardless of whether you view it as an act of "ass leaking" or not)  I am surprised that the rest of the world just doesn't get it!

bkkguy

Guest Promsak

Now, watching reports on SKY News, CNN and BBC ----- the motorcycle taxi driver took the yellow shirted suspect either to Silom Soi 9 OR Lumpini Park OR the airport.