stijntje

Preparing my first visit

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are happy to spend a bit, I can give you 3 suggestions of things I have done and enjoyed in Bangkok, although all are better with a friend.

Cocktails at sunset in the bar at the top of The Banyan Tree Hotel

Dinner cruise on The Loy Nova on the Chao Phraya River. more expensive than the big buffet boats but in my opinion worth it.

Dinner at La Table Du Tee restaurant. A small place, not fancy but great food at a price which is very reasonable for the quality.

I would stress I wouldn't do any of them alone, but if you are holidaying with a friend or find a romantic attachment they are enjoyable.

I will leave it up to others for suggestions later in the evening.

I went to Eat Me last year.  It's certainly very good and very romantic.  I think there are comparable places in most big cities - for me not a real Thailand experience.  Also I went with a friend from Laos and the menu is only in english and it is very, very expensive, which can be a bit uncomfortable.  Still, good food and convenient to Silom.  

I've wanted to go to Table du Tee, for a while.

Guest Stewart

I come from a small seaside village in the South of England and as a result the big cities scare the SH 1 Tango out of me. My vote goes to Jomtein Complex as it has the village atmosphere about it. Plus the fact that I am a "pub" person I can think of no better place to while away the evenings than in one of the boy bars knowing that with just a flick of my finger any one of the boys will come straight to bed with me. Thats after I have finished my beer ! Sex on tap and all within walking distance.

I'm preparing my first visit to Thailand and would like to stay about a week : a few days in Bangkok and a few in Pattaya.

Where should I spend the weekend : in Bangkok or Pattaya?

This would depend on what you like doing & so on.

Bangkok has the edge for sightseeing, city facilities and supposedly nightclubs, although that is not my area of expertise.

Pattaya has the beach, cheaper gay scene etc

For a 1 week "first" trip, well I would spend half in Bangkok, then travel to Pattaya & at the end of the trip, get a taxi directly back to the airport.

Going back a few years, I think my actual first trip was 2 weeks and had something like 4 days in Bangkok, 4 in Siem Reap & then almost a week in Pattaya.

It depends on what you want to do. For sightseeing in the provinces, I prefer to travel during week (when the locals are working and everything is less busy than on weekends). For saunas, I prefer Fri-Sun when locals visit in large numbers.

My trips from Bangkok (where I stay most of the time) to Pattaya are usually during week (less traffic than on the weekend and no competition (hotels, public transport) from Thais who go to Pattaya).