Guest sydneyboy

Sex Industry Crackdown

Here is some data about prostitution legality in 100 countries:

http://prostitution.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000772

While it is ILLEGAL in Thailand, I was surprised to find that it is LEGAL in Argentina, a Catholic country where Pope Francis comes from and where same-sex marriage is legal.  Sex workers there are unionized!

I think it is perfectly fine to exclude minors from sex work, like they are excluded from drinking alcohol and hopefully from smoking too.  But aside from minors, the commercialization of sex should be an acceptable practice free of criticism.  The crux of the matter is for it to be VOLUNTARY.

I VOLUNTAILY submitted myself for decades to be a professional under employment by a large enterprise who took away my intellectual property rights and my choice of professional activity in exchange for good MONEY.   And many times I felt screwed by my bosses...

So I think that men and women should have the freedom to VOLUNTARILY let themselves be screwed or otherwise sexually handled in exchange for monetary compensation.  I don't see the evil of this.  And like abang1961, "I have yet to be a paying client", although I am getting close to being one. 

Thailand, like any other country, should concentrate its efforts to eliminate underage prostitution and exploitation of any sex workers, making sure that prostitution is VOLUNTARY.  With this, they will join a majority of progressive countries with high standards of true morality. 

Here is some data about prostitution legality in 100 countries:

http://prostitution.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000772

from that chart it's clearly visible that legality and availability are not correlated and chances are , where prostitution is legal workers and their clients are better protected from crime and exploitation.

Figure of 3% of GDP as sex industry input for Thailand seems more realistic that 10%  claimed somewhere else just recently 

from that chart it's clearly visible that legality and availability are not correlated and chances are , where prostitution is legal workers and their clients are better protected from crime and exploitation.

Figure of 3% of GDP as sex industry input for Thailand seems more realistic that 10%  claimed somewhere else just recently 

You mean that legality of prostitution does not correlate with brothel ownership and pimping?  But the latter two are not necessarily "availability".  In our times, retail business is moving to the internet, and so it makes sense that prostitution does so too.  In reality, this is positive: why have intermediaries like massage places and gogo bars?  Money should all go to the boys!, who all they need is some skills to fill their websites with nice pictures and make themselves available... :)

This chart is recent (2016), yet it seems to ignore homosexuality!  For example, it lists Singapore as having legal prostitution, but it fails to mention that this infamous article 377A prohibiting ALL gay sex is still in effect.

You mean that legality of prostitution does not correlate with brothel ownership and pimping?

no , I mean that is as easy to get a warm body in countries where it's legal / Netherlands , Germany/  as in those where it's not,  like Thailand

I don't think it is wise to talk politics in Thailand unless you are agreeing with The Boss

you are right

on my last day in BKK on Jun 9th I commented to a boy I was with that lots of people are wearing yellow ' Bike for a Dad" t-shirts.

He explained  that "today is  His 70th anniversary of coronation", what puzzled me was not a matter of fact answer , but a fact that he  felt compelled to whisper that to my ear instead of saying it loudly.  

so there's something simmering under all those smiles it seems

you are right

on my last day in BKK on Jun 9th I commented to a boy I was with that lots of people are wearing yellow ' Bike for a Dad" t-shirts.

He explained  that "today is  His 70th anniversary of coronation", what puzzled me was not a matter of fact answer , but a fact that he  felt compelled to whisper that to my ear instead of saying it loudly.  

so there's something simmering under all those smiles it seems

I'm surprised he whispered when telling you about His Majesty who is genuinely popular.

The Boss I was referring to was The General, who I am a little surprised my Isaan farming partner fully supports

Guest abang1961

Come on, if you don't know where and when your next meal is, who's have the right mind to care about politics?

Here in Singapore, I am too cushy to think about it.  

The government have been giving her citizens are the basic needs - from housing to transport, from food/hawker centres to clean air, what's more do I need?

Want yes..less prejudice and more openness to gay lifestyle。

The guys I met  in Pattaya just after the Junta's coup were all Redshirts. Unsurprising....most of them are from Isaan and all of them are working class.

I'm amused by Abeng's conviction that the junta is pro-gay. Since when did a military government anywhere in the world support human rights for minorities? Perhaps he should listen to Thais more? Many are frightened of course so they keep their beliefs to themselves.

The guys I met  in Pattaya just after the Junta's coup were all Redshirts. Unsurprising....most of them are from Isaan and all of them are working class.

Again proof that most people's political views are as follows: which party is best for my personal purse, then I will vote for it. If that same person (DNA the same, etc) was brought up in a richer family he would most likely have different views. 

The only principle is: what is best for ME ME ME ME

(Rich people, millionaires, can afford to vote against their own interest and take other issues into account, it doesn't matter if they loose a bit. Of course even rich people will never vote for a party which tries to get almost all their money: a communist party say which wants to abolish property. Of course there are exceptions, there are always exceptions. But the general rule is: everyone votes with their own purse in mind.)

I'm confused.

Tracing the location of a cell phone with reasonable precision has been possible for a long time already (at least when the phone is on). No need for special, fancy SIM cards. Not sure if telecom companies are doing this all the time (i.e. triangulating between cellular basestation) or storing the information for a long time.

The SIM card by itself does not give away the location of the phone. Smartphones have a built in GPS, but this has nothing to do with the SIM card.

Concerning identifying cell phone users, I remember it was announced a few years ago that every user of a SIM card would have to identify themselves or be cut off, Thai and foreigner alike.

Long after that announcement shops in the arrivals area of the airport were selling SIM cards without asking for any ID.

Does anybody else understand what this is all about?

Guest ryanasia

When a foreigner buys a SIM the pile is shorter. That's it. There is no new technology it is just that foreigners will be short listed. Otherwise there is just way too many SIM cards to monitor. It doesn't really change anything.

Guest abang1961

Time is really changing at a pace that I dislike.

35 years ago, I was wowed by the pager.

25 years ago, I was proud to show off my mobile phone (that looks like a water bottle)

15 years ago, I was ecstatic when I could sms, take (lousy) pictures with my phone

8 years ago, Apple ruined my life.

Now, I travel with 2 phones, 1 tablet and an army of electronic gadgets - sim cards (of the destination), charger, spare battery, power bank,  adapter, cables, selfie sticks (2x), mini-tripod...the list goes on.  

Thanks to the Internet, I can top-up my sim card easily without stepping on the soil of my destination.  

Tips for pricing of prepaid cards with data plans

in Singapore - SGD 15  from the 3 telcos

in Malaysia - MYR 40

AS much as I dislike to be attached to my phone, I do enjoy all the gay apps.  I don't have to step into a bar anymore.  

I can browse through all the available profiles before making a move to contact that beau.. usually farangs above 30.

So the junta can do the tracking but really, we are just "harmless" people.

They should concentrate on members of suicide bombers instead.

But then again, would Boyztown be a prime target (over Central Festival or Walking Street)?

Guest ryanasia

Couldn't you must turn off "location" on your phone??

I think they could triangulate cell phone locations before location and GPS where even on phones. Location services would just make it easier. 

Cracks in the crackdown...I received a Line message from a Vietnamese who had been let go by Hotmale when the crackdown on non-Thais began.  He wanted to let me know that he was now at Fresh Boys.  I checked with another member of the Forum who is an expert on such things and he had also heard that at least two clubs were bringing back the Vietnamese.

Passing this along and wondering if things were on "hold" until after the election.  No, it couldn't be that...

Guest ryanasia

I wouldn't be too sad if they cleared out the VN guys. I much prefer being with Thais. Although if it is getting hard to find Thai guys then anybody is better than nobody.