dellboy

sunee , boyztown or jomtiem ?

hi all , 

ive been in patts many times mainly staying around soi bauckow/diana area . however now that i have transitioned from liking gg to lb to gay  i need your help in deciding which of the three venues are best , i prefer up to 22/23 y o . twink or a little more manly type . 

i have been mainly to sunee however last time it was extremely quiet (march ) so i am wondering about jomtiem , would you recommend it in sept as a bar/pick up spot ? also perhaps you could let me know about boyztown as i would like direct up to date comparisons . thanks 

lookin forward to your imput 

thanks  again . 

Guest anonone

Hi dellboy.

Boyztown is easy.  Decent hotels right in the soi and plenty of bars in the area to find a friend.  Numerous gogo bars and several host bars.

Jomtien has many beer/host bars, but zero gogo bars, if that is important to you.  It is to me.  

Seems a good many of the staff in Jomtien are not Thai...Cambodia and/or Laos seem well represented.

If you like the beach, it is very close to the gay beach area so easy to visit during the day.  

BT and Jomtien will both be more busy than Sunee, though I like the atmosphere at Sunee much better than the other 2.

I would recommend staying in Boyztown.  That puts you right in the heart of gay activity and is walking distance to Sunee if the mood strikes.  I would also recommend heading down to Jomtien one evening to check it out yourself and see how you think it compares.  

All depends how you wish to "pick up" boys.  In Boyztown most of the action would be at the go-go bars where you would off the guys on stage. In Jomtien all the pick up action is at the open air beer bars. Sunee has many (well, not so many) beer bars with available staff plus three go-go bars so some of each. Easy enough to visit all of these areas and judge for yourself.

Guest pinktrails

Hi Dellboy,

I would personally recommend Jomtien plaza. I actually wrote and article about this exact thing you're asking. I will add a link to it below and to any moderator: I'm really not intending to use this forum to promote links! :) Please don't ban me.

For the article, I went to Pattaya and had a look in all three areas and I spoke to some of the people there. A lot has changed in the past few years in Boystown, Sunee and Jomtien. Because of the outflow of many Russian tourists, Boystown has seen a downturn in business and the atmosphere has changed there. You'll also notice that a lot of the clubs are now putting half naked guys outside (not a bad thing haha) to attract customers. But the mood, to me at least, has that tinge of despair to it. I sympathize with the businesses and the people working there but I wouldn't recommend it anymore to go there.

Sunee plaza has similar issues. Business is slow and they still have issues with street crime and some crooked cops. I was there once and witnessed two guys getting beat. I've also been there many times and had a great time so don't take that one incident to be characteristic of the area. But a lot of bars are closed there now. I still like but ....

Jomtien complex rocks! The types of guys you're describing are to be found there in large numbers. They "typical" thai type, lots of them from Isaan. The twinky, beautiful ones in that early 20 age range. What I like about Jomtien is that it's well supported by some of the bigger businesses there. Some hotels and franchises from Bangkok in the Jomtien complex make efforts to unite all the bars in keeping the area clean. I also like the fact that there are all these outdoor bars where you can relax. In the evening the street vendors roll in and the salty breeze from the ocean nearby just sets the stage for a perfect tropical night, with tropical delight. The prices are cheap too, so that's added bonus.

I have no stake in this, I really wish I found out about Jomtien sooner than I did. To me it's the best.

Here's the link to the article.... http://poseidon-pattaya.com/article/so-youre-going-pattaya-whats-best-place-stay-if-youre-gay

Moderator: please contact me if you object or give me some guidance on how to use links to resources outside of this forum....

Have fun!

thanks to all three contributors , 

anonone and kokopelli  

the idea of the beer bar is appealing to me . what would be the best recommended time to be there and also which soi or part of jomtien is best ??  ( would there be massage facilities nearby ? )

thanks again !

pinktrails , thank you also for your contribution , however i do think that maybe you have a vested interest...................... ?

At my visits I'm staying in hotels/guesthouses on the front of the beach - Tui's, Best Bed Inn, Room's Club and Bondi (both gone for now).

Reason: I'm visiting beach few times per day and gay area only once - at evening. When you stay "on the beach" you can run out  of hotel just in swimming trunks for swimming. Also morning run alongside the sea is amazing. Big plus - sea breeze at time of hot weather - only hotels at the beach have it.

At evening time I'm visiting Jomtien complex - it is just 5 min walk.

Guest abang1961

I've been to Jomtien many times in the past few visits.

However I have yet to touch the waters there, knowing that the Thais do not have proper sewerage system.

All I did was to "expose" my almost naked body onto a deck chair and get as much afternoon sun as possible.

I noticed very few Thai boys in my last visit in June 2016.

Even rarer if they were in gorgeous swimwear...none hit the water.

Certainly gives me pause to at least stop into Jomtien next trip.  Used to always stay in one of the View Talay's on the beach but the lack of tempting boys snd the tedious baht bus rides especially in season forced me to stop.

Certainly sounds like it is worth another look.

Guest anonone

thanks to all three contributors , 

anonone and kokopelli  

the idea of the beer bar is appealing to me . what would be the best recommended time to be there and also which soi or part of jomtien is best ??  ( would there be massage facilities nearby ? )

thanks again !

pinktrails , thank you also for your contribution , however i do think that maybe you have a vested interest...................... ?

There is really only one main area in Jomtien where all the gay bars are located.  It is Jomtien Complex, which is located just off Thappraya road near where it turns to go toward the beach.  

Map of the gay area here (though no idea how current any of the bar names are):  http://gayjomtienbeach.blogspot.com/p/guide-to-jomtien-complex.html

There are one or two massage places in Jomtien Complex of the "gay" variety.  

There are also some hotels in the Complex as well.

I personally don't like the vibe at Jomtien Complex.  It seems a bit Western to me and doesn't have the personality of Sunee... along with the lack of gogo bars.  But many members really enjoy it, which is why I suggested you personally check them all out.  That is really the only way to find out what you personally prefer.

As for times, I think some of the bars open up around 6PM, with later in the evening being more busy.  By 8PM or so, it should be in full swing.  Pretty much the same in all the areas...though sometimes the gogo bars don't get going until 830 or 9.

Indeed, very outdated link. Website hasn't been touched in 2 years.  But stil the owner is paying for it, I mean it is still being hosted so he must be paying his bills. But he doesn't spend any time on it anymore.

I like The Venue in Jomtien. Cute twinks in surprisingly good shows.

At my visits I'm staying in hotels/guesthouses on the front of the beach - Tui's, Best Bed Inn, Room's Club and Bondi (both gone for now).

Reason: I'm visiting beach few times per day and gay area only once - at evening. When you stay "on the beach" you can run out  of hotel just in swimming trunks for swimming. Also morning run alongside the sea is amazing. Big plus - sea breeze at time of hot weather - only hotels at the beach have it.

At evening time I'm visiting Jomtien complex - it is just 5 min walk.

Moses, have you ever stayed at The Best Bed Inn?

The prices seem very reasonable but there are few reviews on Trip Advisor.

I understand it is under the same ownership as the restaurant next door where I have had a couple of nice dinners

Moses, have you ever stayed at The Best Bed Inn?

The prices seem very reasonable but there are few reviews on Trip Advisor.

I understand it is under the same ownership as the restaurant next door where I have had a couple of nice dinners

Best Bed House. yes, it is our place to stay at past few years. 

I know nothing about owners. First visit we had stay in sea view room in main building. Normal European 3***. Rest our visits we had stay in pool villas area (look at photos). They are most modern. Rooms aren't big (about 18 sq.m + bathroom 6 sq.m).

Service is good, easy going. Staff is polite and friendly and never questioned us if we had guests (+50 Baht for additional towel). Rooms are clean.

If you will want take a villa - I advise to take far end villa - first rows villas are located near less deep part of pool and this part sometimes is noisy: kids playing.

BBHouse is targeted on Thais, so there are no restaurant in guesthouse nor breakfast. But there are plenty places around to take a breakfast. Usually we had breakfasts in Tui's (best pancake) or in "Mama's kitchen" - next unit to DD Inn (not BB Inn, but DD Inn at the beginning of the beach near police station). There are only 2 tables in this kitchen, so you can sit at lobby of DD Inn and order via staff of DD Inn - price will be the same as direct order.

On the photo: squirrel in the bushes around pool villas in BB House.

post-10479-0-92359600-1470489236_thumb.jpg

If you are staying at BB Inn, you only have to walk 10 meters to the (new) Sand Bar restaurant which is the remodeled Sea Falcon restaurant. Excellent breakfast, lunches and dinners. Big improvement over the Sea Falcon IMHO. The area near the 7-11 is like a ghost town with the Bondi, Bookazine, TMB, GSB exchange booths all closed.

If you are staying at BB Inn, you only have to walk 10 meters to the (new) Sand Bar restaurant which is the remodeled Sea Falcon restaurant. Excellent breakfast, lunches and dinners. Big improvement over the Sea Falcon IMHO. The area near the 7-11 is like a ghost town with the Bondi, Bookazine, TMB, GSB exchange booths all closed.

Ok, thank you, we will try. At past we found Sea Falcon too much touristic and too much "redneck" - hordes drunk crying redneck Germans...