TotallyOz

BKK Bagel Bakery

Finally, I have found a great bagel place.  I love bagels and can eat one each day.  But, they are hard to find outside of NYC.  This place has the best tasting bagels I have had in Thailand.  I love their Cinnamon Raisin Bagel.  Also, they will deliver via Food Panda.

http://www.bkkbagelbakery.com/

Guest abang1961

Singapore is such a funny place where food has become the favourite national past-time, overtaking shopping.

Food trends come and go.. once it was bubble tea (in early 2000s), doughnuts to the current IT-food,  now custard craissant and (ahem) salted eggs croissant. I do miss the day when cinnamon rule (mid 2000s)/  However, the fad of bagels did not "come" at all despite several shops selling them. 

You are spot-on DM that the french-colonised Indo-China has some of the best bread/bakery around South East Asia.  However as a Chinese Asian, I much prefer dim sum, especially the very tempting roasted pork (steam) buns.  Vegetarians can have their lotus paste, red bean fillings in the buns.

OK if any forummer is in this part of the world this two weeks, don't miss the Annual Mid-Autumn Festival.  The streets in Chnatown, Singapore is all decked up with lanterns.  Just watch your intake of mooncakes - super high in sugar content and with fillings ranging from the bland lotus paste to red bean to other fruits such as durians, mangoes, dragonfruit and now, abalone.

**Roasted steam pork buns in Cantonese is Char-siew bao or Cha-siao bao (in Mandarin). You can find lots of inexpensive eatery serving dim-sum in Penang.

Guest ryanasia

Good to know!

Outside Thailand, I can recommend the bagels (etc.) at any of the Joma Cafes  - Luang Prabang, Vientiane & Hanoi.

I believe they also have a branch on Phnom Penh for the last year or so. They are right wing christians though. Nothing wrong with that but should you support them know where your money goes. Interesting about Pastrami on Rye never knew about the owner. I will still go there as I don't care that much.  

. They are right wing christians though. Nothing wrong with that but should you support them know where your money goes. Interesting about Pastrami on Rye never knew about the owner. I will still go there as I don't care that much.  

Say  it ain't so, Christians making a bagel! If it's not Jewish it's not a bagel.

Guest ryanasia

They are known to be Christian wingnuts. It doesn't matter I don't find their baked goods to be anything special and have lived in Laos more than a decade. They are just known to be sort of radical Christians. They also donate I think they say 2% of their profits to the community. so if you want 2% of your purchases to go to Christian endeavors, by all means buy their bagels. 

Guest ryanasia

I see where you are coming from but avoid places that use their profits to prosthelytize the local communities. Again this is just a personal choice i make of my own accord. so I also find no problem in giving information in this regard so people out there can make their own informed choice about what type of business they would like to support.

Guest abang1961

Hi guys,

Stick to the topic....

Why don't we start a trend to introduce mid-price food vendors/eating places in Thailand, regardless who owns it?

As John Lennon sings: Imagine the world without religion? Well we can put our  beliefs aside and savour the many taste/smell/fragance of Thailand.. there's surely more to Thailand besides the boys/men and temples, right?

Guest abang1961

Hijack topic (not wanting to start a new topic)

Today I will take the opportunity to show you Chinese mooncakes.

During the 8th lunar month, Chinese all over the world celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival.

http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/whats-on/calendar-of-events/2016-mid-autumn-festival/FESTIVAL-HIGHLIGHTS.html

My wonderful neighbour gave me a box of not-so-traditional ones and I luv-it.

post-13467-0-57250600-1473658608_thumb.jpg

Guest abang1961

Actually this is just a folklore..

Way before Armstrong landed on the moon in 1969, the Chinese fairy tale said that there was this beautiful lady by the name of Chang E.  Hence regardless whether you are Christian or not, just have the mooncake and eat it.

When I was still young, naive and probably beautiful at the age of 4 to 9, my mother used to buy me paper lanterns.  Inside the lantern is a lighted candle.  The kids would walk around the neighbourhood with these lit lanterns.

*This lantern tradition varies from one region to another. In China, it is the 15th day of the First Lunar Month while in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, it is the 15th day of the Eighth Lunar Month.

Interesting reads if you wish to learn more..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncake